If you could order it online....

The place to start if you are new!
User avatar
jkwilson
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1185
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:02 am
Location: Southern Indiana

Re: If you could order it online....

Postby jkwilson » Thu May 04, 2017 6:05 am

Honestly, what I'd love would be a really good online way to find something in stock someplace. There have been times I'd have driven 200 miles to get a part or tool if it meant I could have it today.
0 x

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5577
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers

Re: If you could order it online....

Postby M-5 » Thu May 04, 2017 6:24 am

jkwilson wrote:Honestly, what I'd love would be a really good online way to find something in stock someplace. There have been times I'd have driven 200 miles to get a part or tool if it meant I could have it today.

Examples? Myjohndeere shows available in all stores in the conglomerate
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3464
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: If you could order it online....

Postby callmefence » Thu May 04, 2017 6:37 am

I started a thread on it once. Got lots of good advice. But I still have never ordered anything online.

A few times
I've looked it up. Then called and ordered it.
Same thing I guess.
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5577
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers

Re: If you could order it online....

Postby M-5 » Thu May 04, 2017 8:45 am

I usually look up the item I need before I travel to buy it , Auto parts, tractor supply, John deere, Jeffers and any other place that does online sales will tell you if its in stock or the stores that have it in stock
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 888
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: If you could order it online....

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu May 04, 2017 9:06 am

Bigfoot wrote:Shipping is what sucks about ordering. Many times, it's cheaper than running all over though.


While shipping costs can be high on some things, others are quite reasonable. We often have people that call for prices, and even though we have a better product for less $, they will buy junk somewhere close to home at a higher price because they assume the shipping will be high. It's crazy, but I can ship a 2,500 lb pallet for not much more than an average size box with UPS. Hard to figger out sometimes. :bang:
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

User avatar
jkwilson
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1185
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:02 am
Location: Southern Indiana

Re: If you could order it online....

Postby jkwilson » Thu May 04, 2017 9:14 am

M-5 wrote:
jkwilson wrote:Honestly, what I'd love would be a really good online way to find something in stock someplace. There have been times I'd have driven 200 miles to get a part or tool if it meant I could have it today.

Examples? Myjohndeere shows available in all stores in the conglomerate


If everything could be like Deere, it would be great. A lot of places let you see what's in stock at their stores, but they make you search store by store. Why not just tell me where the nearest store that has one is? That's what I want to know when I'm in too big of a hurry to order online.

Last Thursday I had an old hydrant that wouldn't shut off. Called around several places looking for a kit, but no luck. Plenty available on Amazon and eBay, and I searched eBay for auctions within 100 miles of me thinking somebody might let me come and get it. Ended up digging it up and capping the pipe just to get the water stopped.

Finally tracked down a kit at a plumbing supply place 38 miles from me a couple of days later. If someplace like Amazon had a way to find an item at a brick and mortar store it would sure be sweet.
0 x

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11117
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: If you could order it online....

Postby Bigfoot » Thu May 04, 2017 9:28 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:Shipping is what sucks about ordering. Many times, it's cheaper than running all over though.


While shipping costs can be high on some things, others are quite reasonable. We often have people that call for prices, and even though we have a better product for less $, they will buy junk somewhere close to home at a higher price because they assume the shipping will be high. It's crazy, but I can ship a 2,500 lb pallet for not much more than an average size box with UPS. Hard to figger out sometimes. :bang:


That would s strange. Oddly enough fastenall will ship a personal item from one store to the other. Not sure what they charge for freight, but it is an option.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5577
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers

Re: If you could order it online....

Postby M-5 » Thu May 04, 2017 9:31 am

freight deals are don't by volume. I can ship 3500# of material on one pallet 400miles for less than a hundred bucks. I move quite a bit of freight even closer than that because I cant pay a truck and driver to do it cheaper
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 888
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: If you could order it online....

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu May 04, 2017 9:43 am

M-5 wrote:freight deals are don't by volume. I can ship 3500# of material on one pallet 400miles for less than a hundred bucks. I move quite a bit of freight even closer than that because I cant pay a truck and driver to do it cheaper


And for some reason, LTL freight gets cheaper at 5,000 lbs. I've been known to overestimate pallet weights on occasion. :cowboy: Seems odd that it's cheaper to ship two pallets weighing 5,000 than it is if they weighed 4,500, but who am I to judge?
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison


Return to “Beginners Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests