Does anybody balance their checkbook anymore?

The place to start if you are new!
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Does anybody balance their checkbook anymore?

Postby TexasBred » Wed May 03, 2017 8:34 am

RanchMan90 wrote:Does anybody balance their checkbook anymore? What's the best way to record cash flow now?

Old habits are hard to break. I reconcile my personal account as well as farm account every month. Heck I still write down every check in the check register as well. :shock: :shock:
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Wed May 03, 2017 8:40 am

I might write one check a month , I know what my deposits are and verify all debits daily.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Wed May 03, 2017 9:04 am

M-5 wrote:I might write one check a month , I know what my deposits are and verify all debits daily.

:lol: I'd rather put it on a credit card that has a good rewards program.....then make an online payment once a month rather than write a check. Going to a bank to make a deposit isnt as much fun as it once was either. :nod: I have embraced online banking to the point I dislike even using the banks drive thru.

I still enter transactions manually into quicken rather than have it download automatically. It's just simpler for me to do it regularly than go back later to look for and fix any errors.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed May 03, 2017 9:20 am

1982vett wrote:
M-5 wrote:I might write one check a month , I know what my deposits are and verify all debits daily.

:lol: I'd rather put it on a credit card that has a good rewards program.....then make an online payment once a month rather than write a check. Going to a bank to make a deposit isnt as much fun as it once was either. :nod: I have embraced online banking to the point I dislike even using the banks drive thru.

I still enter transactions manually into quicken rather than have it download automatically. It's just simpler for me to do it regularly than go back later to look for and fix any errors.

I write very few checks except payroll. And my wife does the books, that still counts as balancing the books grit.
I do zero online banking. None I don't trust it.
Nsa could go through my computer and they would find nothing but cattle today and a few fishing forums.
I love credit cards with points. I buy all materials I can with credit cards the balance is paid off every month and the points can easily get into the 4 zeros a year.
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Wed May 03, 2017 9:29 am

callmefence wrote:
1982vett wrote:

I write very few checks except payroll. And my wife does the books, that still counts as balancing the books grit.
Nsa could go through my computer and they would find nothing but cattle today and a few fishing forums.
I love credit cards with points. I buy all materials I can with credit cards the balance is paid off every month and the points can easily get into the 4 zeros a year.

Took a while for me to "trust" online banking too, but my confidence of the US Postal System to get my checks to and from a destination entact forced me to reconsider.

Helll. They can't seem to be bothered to bring packages to large for the mailbox to the house anymore. The just throw it on the ground by the cattle guard these days.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Wed May 03, 2017 9:40 am

callmefence wrote:
1982vett wrote:

you do know you have protection from fraudulent charges with a credit card do you??? " Whats in your wallet "
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Wed May 03, 2017 9:58 am

callmefence wrote:
1982vett wrote:

I'm just like you fence, the only checks I write are for payroll, maybe one here or there a couple of times a year. No online banking, but verify my balance daily via phone, I keep track of checks not cleared. Everything is paid via credit card that gives points and card balance paid off monthly via bank transfer. Those points add up and are great for travel and merchandise. A few years back we used some of them to fly first class to Hawaii....... talk about a big hog at the trough. :lol2:
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed May 03, 2017 10:19 am

Alan wrote:
callmefence wrote:
1982vett wrote: :lol: I'd rather put it on a credit card that has a good rewards program.....then make an online payment once a month rather than write a check. Going to a bank to make a deposit isnt as much fun as it once was either. :nod: I have embraced online banking to the point I dislike even using the banks drive thru.

I'm just like you fence, the only checks I write are for payroll, maybe one here or there a couple of times a year. No online banking, but verify my balance daily via phone, I keep track of checks not cleared. Everything is paid via credit card that gives points and card balance paid off monthly via bank transfer. Those points add up and are great for travel and merchandise. A few years back we used some of them to fly first class to Hawaii....... talk about a big hog at the trough. :lol2:

We put hardwood floors in the house one year.
(American express gives home depot gift cards)

And thanks to my cabalas visa
As soon as I get time to drive up to Waco I'm going tear the front doors oughta cabalas. :nod:
0 x

David Crockett

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed May 03, 2017 11:04 am

If your money is in a bank... it's tracked... and can be hacked. Whether you bank online or not has zero effect on any thing.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed May 03, 2017 11:26 am

Brute 23 wrote:If your money is in a bank... it's tracked... and can be hacked. Whether you bank online or not has zero effect on any thing.

That's why you put it under fence post.
I just wish I could remember which ones...shoulda put a map t in the computer I guess.
0 x

David Crockett

SteppedInIt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby SteppedInIt » Wed May 03, 2017 11:43 am

I budget all bills/expenses by pay period. Leave some room for misc expenses.
The only thing I reconcile is the farm expense log vs farm account at the end of the year to make sure I didn't miss any receipts for tax purposes.
0 x
"When the People fear their government there is tyranny, when government fears the people there is liberty" - Thomas Jefferson

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed May 03, 2017 1:38 pm

I think the better question would be "Who even uses CHEQUES anymore?"

I write about 2 or 3 a year.. most everything else is on credit card paid off monthly... wrote 1 cheque last weekend at the auction, will write one for seed soon (3% surcharge on CC purchase there).

Anything other than hard cash transactions are tracked, so it doesn't matter how you pay other than cash, "it" knows about it.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed May 03, 2017 3:48 pm

callmefence wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:If your money is in a bank... it's tracked... and can be hacked. Whether you bank online or not has zero effect on any thing.

That's why you put it under fence post.
I just wish I could remember which ones...shoulda put a map t in the computer I guess.

That's all you can do is burry it. When I was 19 all my bank accounts got froze because some one made a clerical error. My parents had to drive 3.5hrs to bring me cash and a debit card until we could get a lawyer on the At General. Almost a week later they were like... "Oops we are sorry. Its back on." :shock:
Last edited by Brute 23 on Wed May 03, 2017 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

crossbredcalves
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby crossbredcalves » Wed May 03, 2017 4:31 pm

I'm young, 28. I keep a check register and write down everything. I reconcile it online 2x a month, when I get paid. I write several checks a month, my mortgage, to the church, and to whatever organizations my students are selling junk for.
0 x
You don't scare me. I teach.

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Wed May 03, 2017 4:49 pm

Nesikep wrote:I think the better question would be "Who even uses CHEQUES anymore?"

I write about 2 or 3 a year.. most everything else is on credit card paid off monthly... wrote 1 cheque last weekend at the auction, will write one for seed soon (3% surcharge on CC purchase there).

Anything other than hard cash transactions are tracked, so it doesn't matter how you pay other than cash, "it" knows about it.

I just use them at auctions and to pay order buyers. Its all my customers pay me with. Makes it especially tricky when banks put a hold on checks over $5000 for a week, I have to work around that most weeks too.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Return to “Beginners Board”