Page 1 of 1

To cull or not

Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:54 pm
by snoopdog
A little background , bought a nice bunch of fallbreds [see other post], with an agreement to take possession after weaning in april. That gave me time to get fences in shape where I planned to pasture them. Owner decided to wean them early, and I brought them to my place. Now after getting the fences fixed on the pasture place , i have to move them again. Soo after a corral failure , and a personnel failure , Ihave them all moved except 3, now these were pretty docile cows when i started, not pets but not flighty at all. These last ones are as wild as deer right now, one had an abortion a week ago. I think I will work with them a month. Thoughts ? and TIA.

Re: To cull or not

Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:56 pm
by M-5
Move a gentle one back with them

Re: To cull or not

Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:12 pm
by dun
M-5 wrote:Move a gentle one back with them

Yup that will help

Re: To cull or not

Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:50 pm
by Ky cowboy
A buddy of mine had a bunch of weaned calfs bust through fence one night bc of coon hunters. We finally got all but 3-4 back, ended up shooting them couldn't get with on 100 yards of them. They'd bed down in the day and feed all night and they the early morning just like deer and were crossing a major highway. The tame cow and a lot of feed would be my suggestion before they bust out. Then a trip to town.

Re: To cull or not

Posted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:48 am
by snoopdog
I know I'm going to probably get chastised , but I don't have adequate facilities yet on the pasture place. I can doctor if I have to, with ropes and horses, or darts , but that was the next project . I'll just have to be patient i guess, I'm in them so right that I can't really even justify getting rid of the one that had the abortion. I can pasture them here for as long as necessary , just cuts down on my available hayground.

Re: To cull or not

Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:45 pm
by snoopdog
Update , they are coming along fine, to the bucket, and my voice.

Re: To cull or not

Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:56 am
by farmerjan
A little time, a little patience and a bucket of feed will cure most ills......

Re: To cull or not

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:01 pm
by snoopdog
Update , they are with the others now, not without tribulation , but are doing fine.