Heifer performance plateau

The place to start if you are new!
RanchMan90
Rancher
Rancher

Heifer performance plateau

Postby RanchMan90 » Thu May 04, 2017 6:43 pm

Have y'all noticed if/when heifers have had a less efficient average daily gain around 650-700 lbs?
Success is not a station on the railroad where you get off and your life's work is complete. Success is the train itself ~ Allan Nation

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Heifer performance plateau

Postby Bright Raven » Thu May 04, 2017 6:51 pm

Not sure I understand your question. I notice heifers have growth spurts. And you might be right. In that 700 to 800 range they sometimes seem to hit a slow growth period.

RanchMan90
Rancher
Rancher

Postby RanchMan90 » Thu May 04, 2017 7:07 pm

Bright Raven wrote:Not sure I understand your question. I notice heifers have growth spurts. And you might be right. In that 700 to 800 range they sometimes seem to hit a slow growth period.

That's what I was meaning to say
Success is not a station on the railroad where you get off and your life's work is complete. Success is the train itself ~ Allan Nation

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu May 04, 2017 7:22 pm

Yes, it usually coincides with weaning :)
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Thu May 04, 2017 9:53 pm

Yes, they all seem to take spurts. Couldn't say it coincides with a certain weight/age.
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Thu May 04, 2017 10:18 pm

Steers will stall out around 850-900 lbs when lacking protein, so I assume heifers can do the same at a lighter weight.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Thu May 04, 2017 11:35 pm

Ours slow down over winter when on hay but pick right up as soon as the grass starts to green
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Fri May 05, 2017 2:48 am

I only find it is relative to the season ie winter. What I do notice is that as soon as they fall pregnant sometimes within 1-2 wks of insemination they bloom, you just look at them and know they are pregnant. I am sure you would notice that Ron (Bright Raven).

Ken

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri May 05, 2017 10:01 am

wbvs58 wrote:I only find it is relative to the season ie winter. What I do notice is that as soon as they fall pregnant sometimes within 1-2 wks of insemination they bloom, you just look at them and know they are pregnant. I am sure you would notice that Ron (Bright Raven).

Ken

I've found some of mine to be the opposite.. they quit growing as soon as they're bred.. I have a couple where it was really pronounced, they looked good at weaning, nice and big, looked good at turnout, then they stopped growing frame and got wider.. 4 years old now and I have yearling heifers taller than they are
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri May 05, 2017 6:38 pm

wbvs58 wrote:I only find it is relative to the season ie winter. What I do notice is that as soon as they fall pregnant sometimes within 1-2 wks of insemination they bloom, you just look at them and know they are pregnant. I am sure you would notice that Ron (Bright Raven).

Ken

Yes sir. Good way to put it. They seem to get the "glow".

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri May 05, 2017 8:12 pm

Bright Raven wrote:

Ken

Yes sir. Good way to put it. They seem to get the "glow".

I agree. :nod:

Return to “Beginners Board”