Future

The place to start if you are new!
RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Re: Future

Postby RanchMan90 » Mon May 22, 2017 3:33 pm

Aaron wrote:Warmer climates and prime ground will be limited to small operations as tax write-offs. Prime cattle country will concentrate into isolated, harsher areas where land is cheaper. The only big operations that will survive in the prime locations are those that are inherited and have minimal debt. But they will be so big that they will be contracting cattle out direct and not propping up the local sales barns. But then again, very few want to inherit a lifetime of work, so those big operations will be very few and far between.

How big is a big operation? What will it take to make a living?
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon May 22, 2017 4:30 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:All the BS and ribbing aside the future for a young man in the cattle business looks bleak. With the exception of the plains near the actual feedlots.
Before the drought I literally knew hundreds running cattle.
After the drought then the bottom falling out I probably know ten that we would sit and have coffee with.
The average age at the local feed store is in there 7th or 8th decade.
We had ten salebarns we are down to
four.
Makes a fellow wonder if you survive all the :bs: how your going to get your cattle to a market in the future not loosing your pants.

I have been saying that for a while now. I like fooling with cattle if they can at least pay for themselves I know the money from them will not be great and have started doing different things. It would sure be nice to make a great living fooling with them but that just can't happen at least not for me but those that do great I wish them nothing but the best.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Mon May 22, 2017 5:36 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:
Aaron wrote:Warmer climates and prime ground will be limited to small operations as tax write-offs. Prime cattle country will concentrate into isolated, harsher areas where land is cheaper. The only big operations that will survive in the prime locations are those that are inherited and have minimal debt. But they will be so big that they will be contracting cattle out direct and not propping up the local sales barns. But then again, very few want to inherit a lifetime of work, so those big operations will be very few and far between.

How big is a big operation? What will it take to make a living?

I would say those few and far between would have to be 500 cows or more.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Return to “Beginners Board”