Future

The place to start if you are new!
User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 21081
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Future

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat May 06, 2017 1:16 pm

ddd75 wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:I guess I will be the new blood that will have to figure out how to adapt as things change.

With cattle and other aspects I have already seen the opportunities open up as the older generations move out.

My biggest concern is competing with the Argentinas and other places where they can raise beef so cheap they can ship it over and still beat us.

My game plan is to get lean and mean. I don't believe in spending your way to prosperity. They are beating us by doing things the way we did 30 and 50 years ago. It just so happens a big niche market is also opening up for grass fed and no horome beef... which is great because all that stuff is expensive. I'm heading back to more of the range cattle ways... grass and opportunity. The fact is our market is beef and they don't care about papers or studies from universities... the want a decent product at a cheap price. No matter how much you spend or certify it... they are only willing to pay a certain amount for beef. The end.



bad thing about grass finished beef is the length of time it takes to PROPERLY finish an animal. regular pasture 'range' isn't going to finish an animal. You might sell some beef, but you won't get a returning customer. This is the biggest problem with 'grassfed' beef.. you have ever person that has 4 cows trying to sell one as grassfed beef and its some mix crap cow that weighs 650 lbs.. now you have a consumer with a very bad taste in their mouth. Now they'll be going back to the grocery store.

finishing a grassfed beeve properly isn't cheap, and it takes a planted, high energy forage to finish.


http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2013/11/i ... eef-trade/

Most of the steak cut and roast have disappeared out of the local meat counter over the last several decades being replaced by ground,pork or poultry.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6176
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Future

Postby Brute 23 » Sat May 06, 2017 2:41 pm

ddd75 wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:I guess I will be the new blood that will have to figure out how to adapt as things change.

With cattle and other aspects I have already seen the opportunities open up as the older generations move out.

My biggest concern is competing with the Argentinas and other places where they can raise beef so cheap they can ship it over and still beat us.

My game plan is to get lean and mean. I don't believe in spending your way to prosperity. They are beating us by doing things the way we did 30 and 50 years ago. It just so happens a big niche market is also opening up for grass fed and no horome beef... which is great because all that stuff is expensive. I'm heading back to more of the range cattle ways... grass and opportunity. The fact is our market is beef and they don't care about papers or studies from universities... the want a decent product at a cheap price. No matter how much you spend or certify it... they are only willing to pay a certain amount for beef. The end.



bad thing about grass finished beef is the length of time it takes to PROPERLY finish an animal. regular pasture 'range' isn't going to finish an animal. You might sell some beef, but you won't get a returning customer. This is the biggest problem with 'grassfed' beef.. you have ever person that has 4 cows trying to sell one as grassfed beef and its some mix crap cow that weighs 650 lbs.. now you have a consumer with a very bad taste in their mouth. Now they'll be going back to the grocery store.

finishing a grassfed beeve properly isn't cheap, and it takes a planted, high energy forage to finish.


Ya I would not want to finish them. I do believe some one is going to blow that market open in the near future... but as you said... it's a tough game.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 21081
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Future

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat May 06, 2017 4:17 pm

I mentioned earlier back in my butcher days I worked for a lady that ran a large cattle operation from the pasture to her grocery store.
I was cutting 40 head a week of her grass feed. They bought it like hot cakes we had make up the difference from Sam Kane's out of Corpus Christi.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6176
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Future

Postby Brute 23 » Sat May 06, 2017 4:39 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:I mentioned earlier back in my butcher days I worked for a lady that ran a large cattle operation from the pasture to her grocery store.
I was cutting 40 head a week of her grass feed. They bought it like hot cakes we had make up the difference from Sam Kane's out of Corpus Christi.


Ya it would be good to find some one like that co-op in with them. That's what it's going to take to get it done.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 21081
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Future

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat May 06, 2017 5:15 pm

Brute she was selling beef at lower prices for prime all the way to hamburger. Lady was a sharp cookie she cut out several middle men.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

AdamsCreek
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:06 pm
Location: Oklahoma 918

Re: Future

Postby AdamsCreek » Sat May 06, 2017 7:28 pm

Replacing the old timers with new blood seems impossible to me. Saw a for sale sign on a 40 acre bean field 2 miles up the road. Called the number and was informed the asking price is $499,000. How could a young person pay it off?
0 x

User avatar
Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6461
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:34 pm
Location: Ctrl Virginia

Re: Future

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sat May 06, 2017 8:29 pm

AdamsCreek wrote:Replacing the old timers with new blood seems impossible to me. Saw a for sale sign on a 40 acre bean field 2 miles up the road. Called the number and was informed the asking price is $499,000. How could a young person pay it off?


Similar situations here. I've seen many "farms", both row-crop and cattle/dairy for sale in recent years. 100 to 500 acres, many 100 acres or smaller going for close to a million or more. Couple that with the majority of the younger generation not being interested in agriculture of any type. And for the ones who wish to get into it, they can't afford to. Very few family farms/ranches are being passed on and continuing by the next generations. :(
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 21081
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Future

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat May 06, 2017 8:33 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:
AdamsCreek wrote:Replacing the old timers with new blood seems impossible to me. Saw a for sale sign on a 40 acre bean field 2 miles up the road. Called the number and was informed the asking price is $499,000. How could a young person pay it off?


Similar situations here. I've seen many "farms", both row-crop and cattle/dairy for sale in recent years. 100 to 500 acres, many 100 acres or smaller going for close to a million or more. Couple that with the majority of the younger generation not being interested in agriculture of any type. And for the ones who wish to get into it, they can't afford to. Very few family farms/ranches are being passed on and continuing by the next generations. :(


The 100 acres down the road from me with nothing on it but a pond went for over 500k a few months ago.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

User avatar
Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6461
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:34 pm
Location: Ctrl Virginia

Re: Future

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sat May 06, 2017 8:42 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Workinonit Farm wrote:
AdamsCreek wrote:Replacing the old timers with new blood seems impossible to me. Saw a for sale sign on a 40 acre bean field 2 miles up the road. Called the number and was informed the asking price is $499,000. How could a young person pay it off?


Similar situations here. I've seen many "farms", both row-crop and cattle/dairy for sale in recent years. 100 to 500 acres, many 100 acres or smaller going for close to a million or more. Couple that with the majority of the younger generation not being interested in agriculture of any type. And for the ones who wish to get into it, they can't afford to. Very few family farms/ranches are being passed on and continuing by the next generations. :(


The 100 acres down the road from me with nothing on it but a pond went for over 500k a few months ago.


Around here, that would almost be a bargain.

Many of the places are being turned into subdivisions, & the larger tracts are turned into luxury homes on a golf course.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

AdamsCreek
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:06 pm
Location: Oklahoma 918

Re: Future

Postby AdamsCreek » Sat May 06, 2017 9:33 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:
Workinonit Farm wrote:
Similar situations here. I've seen many "farms", both row-crop and cattle/dairy for sale in recent years. 100 to 500 acres, many 100 acres or smaller going for close to a million or more. Couple that with the majority of the younger generation not being interested in agriculture of any type. And for the ones who wish to get into it, they can't afford to. Very few family farms/ranches are being passed on and continuing by the next generations. :(


The 100 acres down the road from me with nothing on it but a pond went for over 500k a few months ago.


Around here, that would almost be a bargain.

Many of the places are being turned into subdivisions, & the larger tracts are turned into luxury homes on a golf course.

That's exactly what's going on here. Plus we got a bunch that sold a house and a half acre in California to move here and buy the same house on 40 acres and still have money left over. Any place big enough to work full time is gonna have to be inherited. If a young person tried to buy in, farming probably wouldn't make the payments anyway.
0 x

User avatar
wacocowboy
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3024
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:36 am
Location: Central Texas

Re: Future

Postby wacocowboy » Sun May 07, 2017 3:27 am

Around here we have weekend farmers and city slickers with money buying up land. They are just using it for tax breaks and don't get the most out of their land so basically a waste. With them buying up the land they drive up the price where regular ranchers and farmers who know how to use it can't afford it. I remember when most of the land around here was used for feeders now it is full of city slickers who know as much about a cow as I do an elephant.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7139
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Central Minnesota

Re: Future

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun May 07, 2017 6:13 am

These are the some of the same reasons they drove cattle north and west in the 1800s...
0 x
Stocker Steve

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2742
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Future

Postby Bright Raven » Sun May 07, 2017 6:15 am

Driving up land prices is positive if you are a land owner.
0 x

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 21081
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Future

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun May 07, 2017 6:16 am

wacocowboy wrote:Around here we have weekend farmers and city slickers with money buying up land. They are just using it for tax breaks and don't get the most out of their land so basically a waste. With them buying up the land they drive up the price where regular ranchers and farmers who know how to use it can't afford it. I remember when most of the land around here was used for feeders now it is full of city slickers who know as much about a cow as I do an elephant.


The three area county agents actually put on a workshop on selling your land when retiring. Big bank and realtors had all the graphs and demographics for our area with the projected stats.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

User avatar
RanchMan90
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1171
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 1:07 pm
Location: Southeast Oklahoma

Re: Future

Postby RanchMan90 » Sun May 07, 2017 7:05 am

Young people don't know what it's like to work for anything anymore. Opportunity is there for those that can, want to, and will work. Things will have to be done differently than everyone else, or the way grandpa did it. For a cow/calf operation to profit it will have to be on paid for or leased ground. :2cents:
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain


Return to “Beginners Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests