How often do heifers/cows show heat after being bred?

The place to start if you are new!
NonTypicalCPA
Cowhand
Cowhand

How often do heifers/cows show heat after being bred?

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Wed May 10, 2017 8:26 am

I saw this in another thread and was curious if this happens very much? I keep track of my handful of heifers/cows breeding dates so I know within a week or so of calf drop. This has me wondering how accurate my records are? Does it happen more with heifers or with cows, or doesn't it matter?
0 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Re: How often do heifers/cows show heat after being bred?

Postby Supa Dexta » Wed May 10, 2017 8:36 am

Going by my herd it would be in the single digit percents. half dozen per hundred maybe? That I notice anyways. Some will continue to show interest in other cows in heat, but few show heats again themselves.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed May 10, 2017 8:54 am

NonTypicalCPA wrote:I saw this in another thread and was curious if this happens very much? I keep track of my handful of heifers/cows breeding dates so I know within a week or so of calf drop. This has me wondering how accurate my records are? Does it happen more with heifers or with cows, or doesn't it matter?

Over the years I've probably had a half dozen show heat and actually allow the bull to mount and penetrate but in each case they were all within a few weeks of calving.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Wed May 10, 2017 8:55 am

What do you mean by being bred?
Do you mean after being serviced?
Do you mean how often does a cow/heifer show a false heat after conceiving?
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Wed May 10, 2017 9:01 am

TexasBred wrote:
NonTypicalCPA wrote:I saw this in another thread and was curious if this happens very much? I keep track of my handful of heifers/cows breeding dates so I know within a week or so of calf drop. This has me wondering how accurate my records are? Does it happen more with heifers or with cows, or doesn't it matter?

Over the years I've probably had a half dozen show heat and actually allow the bull to mount and penetrate but in each case they were all within a few weeks of calving.

Cattle have a 21 day cycle. If a cow settles on the 2nd service and calves on time or early, yes her calving date will be
3 weeks or less of the 1st service even though it was the 2nd service 21 days later that got her pregnant.
0 x

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Wed May 10, 2017 10:28 am

Cows continue to release eggs after being bred and if the associated release of estrogen is at a high enough level, they will have a false heat. I have them happen in about 10% of the cows. Pays for the preg checking real quick when vet finds two breds amongst the 'suspected' opens.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Return to “Beginners Board”