Starting a Small Cattle Operation HELP!

The place to start if you are new!
Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Re: Starting a Small Cattle Operation HELP!

Postby Brute 23 » Wed May 17, 2017 12:27 pm

The only thing I will say on breed is, don't get hung up on certain breeds or colors. You need animals that will work in your operation. That will come from trial and error most likely.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Thu May 18, 2017 9:14 am

I sure do wish you were closer here to us in VA. We could use some "free help" in exchange for all the knowledge/lessons we could try to impart to you. That is how we did some of our learning, helping for little/no money and learning alot from some and little from others.
The guys are right, don't get hung up on a certain breed or color and Reg papers aren't very tasty.
You would definitely do better buying some calves/feeders along to keep your supply constant. Maybe one or more of the guys on here will be able to help you out with a visit to their place or a working day or two. And you might want to get in contact with the county extension agent in the area you are looking to buy some land. Maybe go to some of the meetings they have and sit and listen....Grassfed, grainfed, silage, whatever...it will get you in a position to get to know some of the guys around. And maybe offer to the agent the idea of working for a farmer for a day.... sometimes there are farmers who just need an extra hand or two... sometimes like us when my son was just hurt in a work accident that he can't do the bending lifting twisting and needs a "body" to do it for him.
Oh to be your age again....
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu May 18, 2017 3:16 pm

6 pair on 26 ac plus sheep, hogs, and poultry..in Texas. No. Maybe in the right locale, and the right weather.
Texas land can change and change quick as you drive from East to West and North to South and the change can be abrupt and impressive. Austin isn't East Texas.
Rafter's area isn't far from me, but there's a lot of difference. Caldwell, even more so. (I used to live just West of there and should have stayed there) Brute's area is different again and there's not 200 miles apart for any of us.
If you can absorb the initial $$ hit, try to find a place that has most of the infrastructure already in place and not covered up with mesquite or cedar.

Always remember that 2011 is never more than 2 weeks away.....

(Where were all these people that wanted to work & learn for free back when we were building our places?)
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Thu May 18, 2017 8:22 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
HDRider wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:The biggest hole I see is your choice of cattle. Using Angus cattle is the way to go, especially if your marketing directly to the consumer. The ribeye, tenderness and marbling is where Angus cattle really shine.

Real Angus, or black CAB faux Angus?

REAL.

Better put some Brahma in her if you don't want baby her along
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Thu May 18, 2017 8:41 pm

Boon if I was you I wouldn't buy cows for 26 acres. I would go buy calves. You could buy different weights so they aren't all finished at the same time. If we go into drought you don't have to worry about running out of grass just don't buy calves till it rains. If you are set on buying cows I would buy Beefmaster or Brangus they are docile enough and can survive Texas summers. I am about an hour north of BCS. Welcome aboard. Unless you have some good guard animals forget the other animals for awhile unless you want to feed to local wildlife.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU

Postby Kingfisher » Thu May 18, 2017 9:13 pm

Where in central Texas?
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU

Postby Kingfisher » Thu May 18, 2017 9:19 pm

Boon wrote:Thanks for all of the feedback. This property is near college station texas if that helps. Seems to be good grazing fields everything is green an up to your knees. I was thinking about using the dorpers to manage the weeds in the pasture FYI.

So the overall agreement that I can see above is-

1. Lower the total number of everything and just raise finishing steers?
2. Raise Angus ( should these be registered)

A few questions-
Should I have buy 1 3in1 and then a few steers? make money on whatever the cow produces and get some quick return? If she puts a steer out then keep it? If I do this I will end up with in expensive replacement cattle.

Also should I buy around this time of year and move them around Jan- Feb pending weight and finishing? If I do this should I buy a few throughout the year so that I have a constant supply of meat and in turn constantly selling?

all of yalls thoughts and ideas are very appreciated thanks everyone!

Since your close to Aggie land go see the fellows at 44Farms and get into one of their feeder programs. You'll have some quality steers and an added value way to market them.
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

bird dog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bird dog » Thu May 18, 2017 9:45 pm

so where is your house that is 1.5 hrs away? If we know that, maybe we can get you by somebody's place or even mine?
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu May 18, 2017 11:31 pm

I'd kinda like to meet up with lots of the CT people in Texas sometime myself.
Last weekend, I made a round trip from Cleveland to near Texarkana and another round trip from from near Texarkana to Bolivar Peninsula. I probably drove right by someone's place and didn't know it. Only cow guy I saw was my cousin at New Boston. He said he had about 100 horned hereford mommas now.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri May 19, 2017 1:18 am

I'm curious what county also. There is a big difference land going 1.5hrs from CS depending on which direction you go.

You can run a pair to 3-5 acres here if you wanted to. My family runs a pair to 4 ac on average. That's not my game. I purposely understock to keep input costs down. It puts me in a better position to capitalize on cattle and lease country.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

ddd75
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ddd75 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:14 am

you might think you have money to burn for this way of life.. but i assure you.. its more then you think. You need to invest around a million dollars, if not more, to have a profitable farm. land, equipment, livestock, etc.

even your 'small' operation is going to cost a 1/4 mill after your done.
0 x

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Fri May 19, 2017 7:43 am

wacocowboy wrote:Boon if I was you I wouldn't buy cows for 26 acres. I would go buy calves. You could buy different weights so they aren't all finished at the same time. If we go into drought you don't have to worry about running out of grass just don't buy calves till it rains. If you are set on buying cows I would buy Beefmaster or Brangus they are docile enough and can survive Texas summers. I am about an hour north of BCS. Welcome aboard. Unless you have some good guard animals forget the other animals for awhile unless you want to feed to local wildlife.

This makes a lot of sense.
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Boon
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Boon » Fri May 19, 2017 10:07 am

I am actually in Round Rock, TX. I appreciate all of the feedback and I am doing my best to soak it all in. Sometimes the best way to learn is just by getting your hands dirty, and learning from someone much wiser. I have started looking into larger lots of properties east of college station (futher away) but havent really found anything. The current property is in the Calvert, TX area. I am trying to see what I can do to get somewhere around 100 acres now that I know all of your feedback. Additonally I looked into 44Farms but im not 100% sure what it is.... Seems to be a breeding program of some sort/ them promoting there bulls.... feel free to correct me.

Lastly- I gotta say I am very happy with all of the feedback from everyone on here. Its great to see people looking providing so much great feedback.

Thanks,
Boon
0 x

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Fri May 19, 2017 11:33 am

Boon wrote:I am actually in Round Rock, TX. I appreciate all of the feedback and I am doing my best to soak it all in. Sometimes the best way to learn is just by getting your hands dirty, and learning from someone much wiser. I have started looking into larger lots of properties east of college station (futher away) but havent really found anything. The current property is in the Calvert, TX area. I am trying to see what I can do to get somewhere around 100 acres now that I know all of your feedback. Additonally I looked into 44Farms but im not 100% sure what it is.... Seems to be a breeding program of some sort/ them promoting there bulls.... feel free to correct me.

Lastly- I gotta say I am very happy with all of the feedback from everyone on here. Its great to see people looking providing so much great feedback.

Thanks,
Boon

If you don't mind going farther away. Check out the counties north east of you like Bell, Falls, Limestone, McLennan, and a few others to the north east of Round Rock. I see a lot of good pieces of land for sale in these areas when I am traveling around.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Fri May 19, 2017 11:59 am

Now I understand the confusion about your location. I missed the part about not living close to the land you're looking at.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Return to “Beginners Board”