Backfilling Corner Posts With Gravel

The place to start if you are new!
libertygarden
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 5:33 pm

Backfilling Corner Posts With Gravel

Postby libertygarden » Mon May 22, 2017 6:10 pm

Hello from NE Texas, Delta County.

Does anyone have experience backfilling corner posts or H brace post with gravel, crushed stone and sand like the one used to fill holes or dips? Our clumpy black clay soil doesn't back fill too good. The gravel seems to tighten very well with water.

Thank you in advance.
0 x

M.Magis
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1459
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:29 pm
Location: Cambridge, Ohio

Re: Backfilling Corner Posts With Gravel

Postby M.Magis » Mon May 22, 2017 8:39 pm

I've done it here in OH because I read somewhere that it worked well. Never again, all it did was cause me 3x the work. After one winter and every corner needed pulled and reset.
0 x

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6164
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Backfilling Corner Posts With Gravel

Postby Brute 23 » Mon May 22, 2017 8:41 pm

M.Magis wrote:I've done it here in OH because I read somewhere that it worked well. Never again, all it did was cause me 3x the work. After one winter and every corner needed pulled and reset.


I saw people try to do the sand deal also. Same result.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3131
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Backfilling Corner Posts With Gravel

Postby callmefence » Mon May 22, 2017 8:42 pm

If I don't drive em they get filled with concrete.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

libertygarden
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 5:33 pm

Re: Backfilling Corner Posts With Gravel

Postby libertygarden » Mon May 22, 2017 9:18 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm a little reluctant to use concrete because posts tend to rot and break off right at root ball, of course, after several years.
0 x

M.Magis
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1459
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:29 pm
Location: Cambridge, Ohio

Re: Backfilling Corner Posts With Gravel

Postby M.Magis » Tue May 23, 2017 6:27 am

Concrete is the way to go, at least here, if you don't have a driver. A good quality post will last for decades.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3131
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Backfilling Corner Posts With Gravel

Postby callmefence » Tue May 23, 2017 6:40 am

libertygarden wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. I'm a little reluctant to use concrete because posts tend to rot and break off right at root ball, of course, after several years.


It certainly happens, but if you use a good post and bring the pier above grade slightly and trowel it to shed water away from post you can greatly decrease this problem. Mix the concrete a little on the wet side, don't dry set it .
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
1982vett
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7944
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:57 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Backfilling Corner Posts With Gravel

Postby 1982vett » Tue May 23, 2017 7:04 am

I back fill with concrete mix. Tap the post a few times when I get it situated an pour Some water on top.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5577
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers

Re: Backfilling Corner Posts With Gravel

Postby M-5 » Tue May 23, 2017 7:07 am

I use barn sand quite often , Nothing will work if your hole aint deep enough. need at least 4' in the ground pour dry sand and beat the heII out of the post with a big hammer. pour in more sand and repeat until your hole is filled.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6164
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Backfilling Corner Posts With Gravel

Postby Brute 23 » Tue May 23, 2017 7:27 am

libertygarden wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. I'm a little reluctant to use concrete because posts tend to rot and break off right at root ball, of course, after several years.


You are right. When that post shrinks a little over time you end up with a little gap between the cement and the post.

Wood posts are made to be put right back in the dirt. Plus when you set a wood post right you can start pulling wires immediately. You don't have to wait the next day for cement to dry.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

bird dog
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 940
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:33 pm
Location: North Central Texas

Re: Backfilling Corner Posts With Gravel

Postby bird dog » Tue May 23, 2017 7:30 am

I have used some dry sand on cedar type posts when the black dirt is wet. I use it mostly in the top half of the hole. As the dirt drys and contracts the sand fills some of the gaps. I go back after a week or so if it dries out good and pack the top some more and add more sand.
0 x

User avatar
pricefarm
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:05 pm
Location: Southwest Va

Re: Backfilling Corner Posts With Gravel

Postby pricefarm » Tue May 23, 2017 9:08 pm

callmefence wrote:
libertygarden wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. I'm a little reluctant to use concrete because posts tend to rot and break off right at root ball, of course, after several years.


It certainly happens, but if you use a good post and bring the pier above grade slightly and trowel it to shed water away from post you can greatly decrease this problem. Mix the concrete a little on the wet side, don't dry set it .


Why do you say not to dry set post? That's the only way I do it. Dig a hole put post in and pour a 60lb bag of dry concrete in the hole, them throw some dirt on top and tamp it real good.
0 x

User avatar
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 23314
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: Backfilling Corner Posts With Gravel

Postby Jogeephus » Tue May 23, 2017 9:28 pm

Sugar sand or concrete is all I ever use.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3131
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Backfilling Corner Posts With Gravel

Postby callmefence » Wed May 24, 2017 5:41 am

pricefarm wrote:
callmefence wrote:
libertygarden wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. I'm a little reluctant to use concrete because posts tend to rot and break off right at root ball, of course, after several years.


It certainly happens, but if you use a good post and bring the pier above grade slightly and trowel it to shed water away from post you can greatly decrease this problem. Mix the concrete a little on the wet side, don't dry set it .


Why do you say not to dry set post? That's the only way I do it. Dig a hole put post in and pour a 60lb bag of dry concrete in the hole, them throw some dirt on top and tamp it real good.


And there's not really much wrong with that . I dry set sometimes myself. I was referingnto the Op concern of post rot . if your really concerned about post rot , you can get a better seal with a fluid mix. And trowel a sloped cap to shed water.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
BRYANT
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 939
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:56 pm
Location: Okie

Re: Backfilling Corner Posts With Gravel

Postby BRYANT » Wed May 24, 2017 6:06 am

why use wood post, pipe will hold much better and is pretty cheap right now. There is a guy selling 4.50''' X 8' heavy wall post with the ends already capped for 22.00 a post and they will be there for a long time, when set right.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter


Return to “Beginners Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: snoopdog and 11 guests