Backfilling Corner Posts With Gravel

The place to start if you are new!
pricefarm
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Backfilling Corner Posts With Gravel

Postby pricefarm » Wed May 24, 2017 7:52 am

BRYANT wrote:why use wood post, pipe will hold much better and is pretty cheap right now. There is a guy selling 4.50''' X 8' heavy wall post with the ends already capped for 22.00 a post and they will be there for a long time, when set right.

There isn't any available around here and I would say by the time you had it hauled here it wouldn't be worth it. Everyone here uses wood post and metal tpost
0 x

libertygarden
Beginner
Beginner

Postby libertygarden » Wed May 24, 2017 8:39 am

BRYANT wrote:why use wood post, pipe will hold much better and is pretty cheap right now. There is a guy selling 4.50''' X 8' heavy wall post with the ends already capped for 22.00 a post and they will be there for a long time, when set right.

Wood posts are convenient. I’m working this fence by myself using posts harvested from ash junipers on my property that will otherwise get cleared in a few months.
0 x

BRYANT
Rancher
Rancher

Postby BRYANT » Wed May 24, 2017 9:29 am

pricefarm wrote:

There isn't any available around here and I would say by the time you had it hauled here it wouldn't be worth it. Everyone here uses wood post and metal tpost

I forget that, this is oil country so pipe is easy to get.

As for cutting post I would not waste my time when I have pipe, I have sent a bunch of cedars to the burn pile that would make nice post. Not saying that's how everyone does it or that its right but that's how I do it, but I hate wood post, I am used to pipe.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed May 24, 2017 10:25 am

BRYANT wrote:
pricefarm wrote:

As for cutting post I would not waste my time when I have pipe, I have sent a bunch of cedars to the burn pile that would make nice post. Not saying that's how everyone does it or that its right but that's how I do it, but I hate wood post, I am used to pipe.

Your not alone Bryant. I can't imagine building a fence on wood post. Its hard to believe there's no pipe in the south east. But Bigfoot says it's so. So I believe it.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Wed May 24, 2017 11:34 am

It's possible to get pipe anywhere, but it's not nearly as affordable in some places. You really have to look around here to find it, it's not cheap, and it's almost always a long drive. Corner posts here are 99% hedge, locust, or treated.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Wed May 24, 2017 11:44 am

It's expensive here. Plenty at a steel place but even scrap yrd pipe is about 45 cent a pound
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed May 24, 2017 3:17 pm

callmefence wrote:
BRYANT wrote:
pricefarm wrote:

Your not alone Bryant. I can't imagine building a fence on wood post. Its hard to believe there's no pipe in the south east. But Bigfoot says it's so. So I believe it.

I looked at pipe prices and its all far away from me. I seen metal pipe corrals online and really liked and wanted one
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Return to “Beginners Board”