Chiggers

The place to start if you are new!
djinwa
GURU
GURU

Re: Chiggers

Postby djinwa » Tue May 30, 2017 9:30 pm

Brute 23 wrote:OFF or any thing with the highest amount of Deet you can find. Vaseline or a lotion after you get them.

I have spilled Ivomec on my leg a couple times over the years. Didn't have any bites for almost one whole year. Im not brave enough to get myself a regular dose every year.

Chiggers and ticks are bad right now around here. They are in the grass and get slung up on you. I am coating myself with OFF before I go out every time now.

Don't have to be too brave. Ivermectin used regularly in many parts of the world in annual doses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivermectin

Ivermectin is a broad-spectrum antiparasitic agent, traditionally against parasitic worms and other multicellular parasites. It is mainly used in humans in the treatment of onchocerciasis (river blindness), but is also effective against other worm infestations (such as strongyloidiasis, ascariasis, trichuriasis, filariasis and enterobiasis), and some epidermal parasitic skin diseases, including scabies.

Ivermectin is currently being used to help eliminate river blindness (onchocerciasis) in the Americas, and to stop transmission of lymphatic filariasis and onchocerciasis around the world in programs sponsored by the Carter Center using ivermectin donated by Merck.[11][12][13] The disease is common in 30 African countries, six Latin American countries, and Yemen.[14] The drug rapidly kills microfilariae, but not the adult worms. A single oral dose of ivermectin, taken annually for the 10–15-year lifespan of the adult worms, is all that is needed to protect the individual from onchocerciasis.[15]
0 x
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”
-Mahatma Ghandi

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Tue May 30, 2017 9:55 pm

x2 on ChiggerX. Good stuff.
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Tue May 30, 2017 10:06 pm

djinwa wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:OFF or any thing with the highest amount of Deet you can find. Vaseline or a lotion after you get them.

I have spilled Ivomec on my leg a couple times over the years. Didn't have any bites for almost one whole year. Im not brave enough to get myself a regular dose every year.

Chiggers and ticks are bad right now around here. They are in the grass and get slung up on you. I am coating myself with OFF before I go out every time now.

Don't have to be too brave. Ivermectin used regularly in many parts of the world in annual doses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivermectin

Ivermectin is a broad-spectrum antiparasitic agent, traditionally against parasitic worms and other multicellular parasites. It is mainly used in humans in the treatment of onchocerciasis (river blindness), but is also effective against other worm infestations (such as strongyloidiasis, ascariasis, trichuriasis, filariasis and enterobiasis), and some epidermal parasitic skin diseases, including scabies.

Ivermectin is currently being used to help eliminate river blindness (onchocerciasis) in the Americas, and to stop transmission of lymphatic filariasis and onchocerciasis around the world in programs sponsored by the Carter Center using ivermectin donated by Merck.[11][12][13] The disease is common in 30 African countries, six Latin American countries, and Yemen.[14] The drug rapidly kills microfilariae, but not the adult worms. A single oral dose of ivermectin, taken annually for the 10–15-year lifespan of the adult worms, is all that is needed to protect the individual from onchocerciasis.[15]

A friend of mine went on a mission trip, and swore the Doc that went lined the whole town up, and gave them a squirt of ivomec orally.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed May 31, 2017 6:08 am

That is interesting. :)
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

snoopdog
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby snoopdog » Wed May 31, 2017 6:56 am

campho phenique for relief
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

D2Cat
Rancher
Rancher

Postby D2Cat » Wed May 31, 2017 7:58 am

I get a bottle of odorless garlic, and take 5 or 6 each day during the spring and summer. Sure helps with ticks too.
0 x

TANK30705
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby TANK30705 » Wed May 31, 2017 9:43 am

Cattle insecticide tag pinned on hat does well for prevention.
0 x

Hunter
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Hunter » Wed May 31, 2017 10:04 am

I've heard Avon Skin so Soft works on chiggers and ticks.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed May 31, 2017 12:23 pm

Blue Duck works pretty good too.
be nice Life's cheap up here on the Canadian, it's about to get cheaper. Let's gamble.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQUCW7y5az8
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Wed May 31, 2017 1:11 pm

greybeard wrote:Blue Duck works pretty good too.
be nice Life's cheap up here on the Canadian, it's about to get cheaper. Let's gamble.

Dam chiggers holding up the game!
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Wed May 31, 2017 3:38 pm

0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Wed May 31, 2017 3:50 pm

Ill take a sack of redbugs if youll take 2 sacks of mosquitos and 3 sacks of knats
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed May 31, 2017 8:40 pm

I used to live in Kansas and so I am VERY aware of chiggers. People out here don't know what you are talking about.
I found your remedies quite fascinating because I always used sulfa powder. Put it in a sock & dust your ankles and pant legs with it. Kept them off. If you didn't protect before going out, if you jumped in a shower immediately when you got home, you could avoid them. When we moved out here, it took me a looonnnggg time before I felt comfortable walking thru tall grass --- or --- SITTING on the ground!!!!
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Wed May 31, 2017 8:53 pm

greybeard wrote:Blue Duck works pretty good too.

McMurty is a literary genius
Another in the same class
Will Patton narrative I recommend
https://mobile.audible.com/pd/Fiction/T ... B00CICMBTG
0 x

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Wed May 31, 2017 9:14 pm

Posts like this make it easier to deal with snow.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”