Page 1 of 2

What are the basic works for raising cows?

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:15 pm
by morris_vu
I'm thinking about raising cows (eventually up to 50). What are the things I'd need to consider such as vet care, land size, equipment, etc. I've never done it before, so anything will help. Thanks!

Re: What are the basic works for raising cows?

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:25 pm
by M-5
Where ya live??

Re: What are the basic works for raising cows?

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:28 pm
by TCRanch
Do you have neighbors with cattle or someone who can mentor you? Local Sale Barn is a great place to hang out, watch, talk to "seasoned" ranchers and learn a lot. Is there a college Ag Extension office near you? A lot of them offer classes. Heather Smith Thomas has written some very good books on raising cattle, health/nutrition and calving. Become acquainted with a large animal vet - you will need one! Vaccines, calving, diseases, nutrition, etc vary depending on where you live. And of course CT is a wealth of information :). Welcome and best of luck!

Re: What are the basic works for raising cows?

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:40 pm
by Rafter S
You got excellent advice from TCR, especially the part about finding a mentor. I'd strongly advise getting some hands on experience with cattle before getting some of your own. Jumping in with both feet and not knowing what you're doing is a train wreck looking for a place to happen. The same is true with the restaurant business, and most others.

Re: What are the basic works for raising cows?

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:34 am
by kilroy60
I'll piggy back on what TCR and Rafter posted. Get some experienced help to assist. Don't depend on friends to help when you have trouble or issues because they may have issues too that they need to take care of first. Also, do you have access to hay fields and equipment to make hay? It's not as easy as it looks but it can be a good "hobby" if that's what you're looking for. Just make plans first before you jump in with both feet.

Re: What are the basic works for raising cows?

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:29 pm
by Rniemann
Start small

Re: What are the basic works for raising cows?

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:34 pm
by backhoeboogie
Read the previous posts. You need the right tools and facilities. A mentor will help you. If you leave everything up to a vet, you'll never profit. On the other hand, you need to know when a vet's help is needed.

Could you imagine driving a nail without a hammer? How about tightening bolts without a wrench? Cattle are no different. You need the right tools. You need to learn how to use the tools. A good mentor will show you and help you way more than words in this forum.

Re: What are the basic works for raising cows?

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:18 pm
by Rafter S
backhoeboogie wrote:Read the previous posts. You need the right tools and facilities. A mentor will help you. If you leave everything up to a vet, you'll never profit. On the other hand, you need to know when a vet's help is needed.

Could you imagine driving a nail without a hammer? How about tightening bolts without a wrench? Cattle are no different. You need the right tools. You need to learn how to use the tools. A good mentor will show you and help you way more than words in this forum.


And also remember that owning a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter.

Re: What are the basic works for raising cows?

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:03 am
by cowboy43
MONEY

Re: What are the basic works for raising cows?

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:27 am
by HDRider
Patience, strong will and a supportive mate, plus about 18 million other things that all cost money. There are some good cattle people here, but you cannot appreciate what it takes until you do it yourself. A graduate program takes 6 to 7 years.

I am a freshman myself, in my first year of study. Learn from those that have got their degree, and are in private practice.

Re: What are the basic works for raising cows?

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:32 am
by True Grit Farms
The want to. All you need is grass in front bull behind.

Re: What are the basic works for raising cows?

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:35 am
by cowgirl8
Don't do like a lot of people I see asking questions on FB cow groups.
1. Don't buy sale barn cows. We do not sell good cows at the sale barn, we dump the bad ones and sometimes they look really good.
2. Don't get cows until you have a place to work them. Doesn't have to be a big elaborate set of corrals, but you need something. I see so many wonder what to do when they need to pull a calf or doctor a cow. And since they are inexperienced, doing it without the safety of a pen with a chute is very very dangerous. Had a friend who works at a small animal vet get her clock rung because they helped a neighbor pull a calf from a cow they had no history of(and a simbra to boot)... They got the calf pulled in an open pen, then stood around to watch her get up. All that heifer knew was that those humans just hurt the heck out of her and yeah, she got her revenge. My friend was left with a broken leg..
3. DO NOT START WITH BRED HEIFERS!!!!!!!
I'll probably think of more...but these are the most mistakes people make who are just starting out.....

Re: What are the basic works for raising cows?

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:09 am
by BRYANT
cowgirl8 wrote:Don't do like a lot of people I see asking questions on FB cow groups.
1. Don't buy sale barn cows. We do not sell good cows at the sale barn, we dump the bad ones and sometimes they look really good.
2. Don't get cows until you have a place to work them. Doesn't have to be a big elaborate set of corrals, but you need something. I see so many wonder what to do when they need to pull a calf or doctor a cow. And since they are inexperienced, doing it without the safety of a pen with a chute is very very dangerous. Had a friend who works at a small animal vet get her clock rung because they helped a neighbor pull a calf from a cow they had no history of(and a simbra to boot)... They got the calf pulled in an open pen, then stood around to watch her get up. All that heifer knew was that those humans just hurt the heck out of her and yeah, she got her revenge. My friend was left with a broken leg..
3. DO NOT START WITH BRED HEIFERS!!!!!!!
I'll probably think of more...but these are the most mistakes people make who are just starting out.....

#1 is not right some good cattle goes through a sale barn., especially a big sale like OKC Stockyards. I have bought and still own good sale barn cattle. You do need someone who knows something about cattle to help you buy out of a sale barn. To say no good cows are at a sale barn is a big statement that is not true.
#2 Is good advice don't try and buy cattle with out some kind of a place to work them, can start small and add to it as needed.
#3 great advice stay away from buying bred heifers if you don't know about cattle. I don't like to even keep replacement heifers, I do sometimes. I will never buy bred heifers out out of a sale barn even though they will always say ''they are bred to a low birth weight Angus bull''. That's the way I do it some people buy them and do fine, I know a man that bought 70 last year from different sales some even looked small to me he pulled 3 and only lost 1 and did great on them when he sold them in the fall.

Re: What are the basic works for raising cows?

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:30 am
by cowgirl8
My #1 is advice to a newbe.. They go there looking for a good deal to get started. As a typical rancher, we do not haul a cow that is in perfect form to a sale barn. Sometimes they may be bred, but to a new person in the cattle business, will they be able to handle the problems we sold her for. Bad udder, prolapse history, bad mother, crazy and dangerous to be around. There are many reasons we sell a cow, but its not because she's making us money. I totally stand by that one due to so many comments made in FB cow groups complaining the bred cow they bought at the sale barn is having problems that, they have no corrals to address them in.. Special sales are good, but most people wanting in, want a good deal and special sales you pay more.

Re: What are the basic works for raising cows?

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:21 am
by dun
cowgirl8 wrote:My #1 is advice to a newbe.. They go there looking for a good deal to get started. As a typical rancher, we do not haul a cow that is in perfect form to a sale barn. Sometimes they may be bred, but to a new person in the cattle business, will they be able to handle the problems we sold her for. Bad udder, prolapse history, bad mother, crazy and dangerous to be around. There are many reasons we sell a cow, but its not because she's making us money. I totally stand by that one due to so many comments made in FB cow groups complaining the bred cow they bought at the sale barn is having problems that, they have no corrals to address them in.. Special sales are good, but most people wanting in, want a good deal and special sales you pay more.

Stand by it all you want, it still isn;t 100% right