Still no hay

The place to start if you are new!
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Re: Still no hay

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:49 pm

CAB is an absolute necessity here in NY if you need to spend more than an hour out feeding cattle. It gets brutal. I know, we never had a cab first 20 years out here. Double BRUTAL.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:30 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:CAB is an absolute necessity here in Y if you need to spend more than an hour out feeding cattle. It gets brutal. I know, we never had a cab first 20 years out here. Double BRUTAL.

We are weird people and sort of enjoy the cold (up to a point! The big March snowstorm was overload!). We feed square bales from inside the barn, through the wall to a square bale feeder. We alternate that with big round bales, but the tractor is just a few yards from the feeder for most of the winter. Not counting warm-up time for the tractor, it only takes maybe 10 min to feed the round bales. So, while a cab would be nice a few days a year, it would be a detriment much of the rest of the year. We enjoy being outside and I know I would feel very cooped up in a cab.

Finally got one field cut today--yay!

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:34 pm

farmerjan wrote:
boondocks wrote:
ddd75 wrote:saw a JD dealer in TN advertising new 5065's no loader 4x4 for 23,995 ! I think 5055 with loader and cab for 28,995 and a 5075 no cab or loader but 4x4 for 27,995..

best prices i've ever seen and no other tractor on the market would beat those tractors out when compared to reliability and resell.

thanks. I think we need more like 70hp and gotta be 4WD. Willing to give up the cab for sure. They're for sissies :hide:

I have to take a little exception to the idea that the cab is for sissies. I am not a big fan of cabs in general, and don't care much for the air conditioning and stuff but when we are round baling and the dust is smothering you then they have their place. BUT, in the winter, which you have plenty of, the cab will make it at least more pleasant to have to be out there doing feeding or whatever. A FEL will make getting the snow moved less of a freeze your A$$ off and enable you to maybe help someone else that needs it; without you getting so cold or frostbit that you can't feel your fingers toes or anything else. Get a little bit older, and you will find that you can continue to farm longer because the machine is making it a little easier on your tired body. Just keeping the cold wind and driving snow, or cold blowing rain and sleet, out of your face and off your body is definitely worth something.

i still like my older, non-cab tractors for most normal field work, but I am not sorry we have the one 4 WD tractor with the cab for some of the cold and usually WET conditions in the winter here.

Meant it tongue in check. I hate feeling cooped up. But I've never baled---do squares kick up a lot of dust? I still don't like the idea (or expense) of a cab for our little operation but maybe a respirator...I can tell when I feed squares in the winter that my respiratory system ain't happy with me (dust)

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:12 am

You didn't ask me, but I'll answer anyway. Square balers create a significant amount of dust, but nowhere near the amount a round baler does. Then, if the hay had been rained on between cutting and baling, you can probably double that. I can remember baling rained on hay, looking back, and barely being able to see the baler.

My father's partner in the hay business died from respiratory issues in his early '70s. I've often wondered if breathing in all that dust for years caused it.
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:58 am

Rafter S is right. There is some dust with square baling, but it is nothing like the round baler. Part of it is that you are traveling a slower speed with a square baler and as it kicks up some dust, it will settle faster if it isn't really a big dust storm. Think of going 20 down a dirt road on a hot dry day and the dust, and then up it to 45 or 50 and the amount of dust created.

There is one other thing about a cab on a tractor. We use a discbine and NEVER EVER operate it with a non-cab tractor. The speed that the blades operate at, is phenominal....and if one is "thrown" by the housing it is attached to, it can hit you and kill you in a second. They are great for speedier cutting, for getting through thick and down hay as they tend to "pick it up" as it cuts. But it is a cardinal rule that you do not use the discbine on any non-cab tractor. No one ever expects for those kind of accidents to happen, but they have. A cab has been credited with saving a few lives of farmers by stopping the blade that has broken off the discbine and been hurtled forward into the cab of the tractor.

Not trying to scare you, and you most likely will use a simple mower or even a haybine with the cutter bar....but it is something to take into consideration.

See some people with the little masks over their mouth and nose while baling so yes, anything will help. I also don't like the cooped up feeling of a cab, but the older I get, the more I can appreciate the cab when I have had reason to use that tractor.

chevytaHOE5674
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:37 am

I have one open station tractor left that I do all my unloading of hay with here at home, and as soon as the funds are there it will get replaced by a cab tractor. I like being able to spend 12+ hours in a cab tractor without being covered head to toe in dust and dirt, being able to work in the rain/snow/wind/sleet, and with our climate its nice not having to sit on a tractor at 30 below zero with a 40mph wind howling feeding hay in the winter.

Also if you need to have somebody help you with hay at 90+ degrees its much easier to convince them to hope into a tractor with a radio and AC than it is an open station where your going to sweat your butt off and be covered in dust at the end of the day.

Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ol' 243 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:51 am

chevytaHOE5674 wrote:I have one open station tractor left that I do all my unloading of hay with here at home, and as soon as the funds are there it will get replaced by a cab tractor. I like being able to spend 12+ hours in a cab tractor without being covered head to toe in dust and dirt, being able to work in the rain/snow/wind/sleet, and with our climate its nice not having to sit on a tractor at 30 below zero with a 40mph wind howling feeding hay in the winter.

Also if you need to have somebody help you with hay at 90+ degrees its much easier to convince them to hope into a tractor with a radio and AC than it is an open station where your going to sweat your butt off and be covered in dust at the end of the day.

Yep, if it ain't 4WD, doesn't have a FEL or a cab, it will never be on my farm.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:18 am

Ol' 243 wrote:Yep, if it ain't 4WD, doesn't have a FEL or a cab, it will never be on my farm.

That would be correct for me too.
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:50 pm

dun wrote:
Ol' 243 wrote:Yep, if it ain't 4WD, doesn't have a FEL or a cab, it will never be on my farm.

That would be correct for me too.

FEL and 4WD are musts for us too. Just debating the cab thing...We have pretty moderate summers (i've already worn a sweatshirt this month). It only takes us a few minutes a day to feed in the winter, and half the time we are able to do that from inside the barn. We will probably not use a discbine. Respirators are cheap. So I'm not yet convinced we need a cab.
I do this cow thing as an excuse to be outside. (I'm exaggerating but probably a lot of truth in it too). Being in an enclosed space would really detract from it. Yes I'm weird...

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:54 pm

Rafter S wrote:You didn't ask me, but I'll answer anyway. Square balers create a significant amount of dust, but nowhere near the amount a round baler does. Then, if the hay had been rained on between cutting and baling, you can probably double that. I can remember baling rained on hay, looking back, and barely being able to see the baler.

My father's partner in the hay business died from respiratory issues in his early '70s. I've often wondered if breathing in all that dust for years caused it.

A guy about my age lives less than a mile from here. Never smoked or lived in a house were others did. His dad only smoked outside. He is on oxygen. They called it farmer's emphysema.

chevytaHOE5674
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:03 pm

Ride around on an open station tractor sucking in dust raking and baling hay for a couple of days (and depending on how much hay your making it will be many days with old equipment) then report back on how "distracted" you would be in a cab with AC watching an inch of dust accumulate on your windows instead of your lungs/eyes/hair/etc.

snoopdog
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby snoopdog » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:30 pm

We bale small squares with an open station massey 240, it was all we had for several years . A 500 dollar rollerbar rake and a 50 dollar sickle mower . Still using the rake and tractor , but bought a little 4X3 vermeer round baler because we had a hay crop burn up waiting on the hay guy. We didn't burn our bridges and he has customers that would rather have the smaller bales, so we help each other out. This made it possible to get a used cab tractor this year and I will never be dependent on someone else to put up my hay again . Gave alot of thought to buying hay only, but we are mechanically inclined , and with wise purchases , I think we did ok. I too love putting up hay, when everything goes right! In regard to the dust though , farmers are inherently resilient , really, who else would come back for more sun and dust and rain and sleet and snow? No one, so we have to .
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:03 pm

chevytaHOE5674 wrote:Ride around on an open station tractor sucking in dust raking and baling hay for a couple of days (and depending on how much hay your making it will be many days with old equipment) then report back on how "distracted" you would be in a cab with AC watching an inch of dust accumulate on your windows instead of your lungs/eyes/hair/etc.

Detract, not distract. But point taken...

Return to “Beginners Board”