Still no hay

The place to start if you are new!
boondocks
GURU
GURU

Re: Still no hay

Postby boondocks » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:20 pm

wbvs58 wrote:Woof woof, did you pat them on the head and they followed you home. Nice acquisitions, why wait till next spring?
The ones that follow me home are never that shiny.

Ken

Ken, they won't be actually here for a couple of weeks (only the paperwork actually followed me home. Along with a big dent to the bank account. Not very fuzzy at all :lol:
We will probably futz around with them this fall but won't likely have hay to cut. The guy who cuts it still has about a half field of first cutting to get (ugh). And we're back into rain now. So (hopefully) by the time the equipment is delivered, it will have all been cut, but only just recently. We won't get a second cutting. Nights already in the 40s. Cows should have a bit of fall grazing on the polywire though.
0 x

chevytaHOE5674
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:33 pm

Wish you the best of luck next year. Hopefully both you and I will get better weather than this year.

I still have 60 acres of my own first cutting to do but 20inches of rain in the last month has made it impossible. Evening owning all my own equipment that can knock down 60 acres in a few hours isn't enough to guarantee that you won't be trying to make hay into September :(.

I've had some customers call mad and wondering why I haven't got their hay done. I keep telling people that if they can find somebody else with pontoons on their equipment so the fields won't get tore up, and a giant drier then they are welcome to the hay. I've told them all that unless a miracle happens their hay probably won't get done this year.
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:10 pm

I bet you are already more knowledgeable about making hay from doing the research on buying the equiptment.

Ken
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:58 am

chevytaHOE5674 wrote:Wish you the best of luck next year. Hopefully both you and I will get better weather than this year.

I still have 60 acres of my own first cutting to do but 20inches of rain in the last month has made it impossible. Evening owning all my own equipment that can knock down 60 acres in a few hours isn't enough to guarantee that you won't be trying to make hay into September :(.

I've had some customers call mad and wondering why I haven't got their hay done. I keep telling people that if they can find somebody else with pontoons on their equipment so the fields won't get tore up, and a giant drier then they are welcome to the hay. I've told them all that unless a miracle happens their hay probably won't get done this year.

Misery loves company--I hate that you still have first cutting in the field but it does make me feel less alone :D
For our small operation, it is crazy enough (dollarwise, timewise, inexperiencewise) to be buying equipment for small squares, when everyone else around here is going to silage because of our increasingly wet summers. But that equipment would have been even pricier, so we will see how we do next summer. Hope it's a bit drier (not drought! Do you hear that, karma? I did NOT ask for a drought!!!). ;-)
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:59 am

wbvs58 wrote:I bet you are already more knowledgeable about making hay from doing the research on buying the equiptment.

Ken

You would think that...but you'd be wrong :hide:
I need to find someone to apprentice with!
0 x

chevytaHOE5674
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:25 am

Your not alone at all. Went to look a field yesterday in the rain that is on decently drained and sloped ground with hopes of making some silage in a 2 day window we have coming up (we've had like 10" of rain in the last 14 days and temps in the 30's, 40's, and 50's.). I drove past probably a thousand acres of standing first crop, then talked to a guy at the coop that runs about 100 momma cows and he only has about half the hay he needs for the winter done. Plenty of guys in the same boat (no pun intended) as you.

Job for today is braving the 49 degrees and driving rain and putting duals on the tractor in hopes of not getting stuck trying to make hay....
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:16 pm

chevytaHOE5674 wrote:Your not alone at all. Went to look a field yesterday in the rain that is on decently drained and sloped ground with hopes of making some silage in a 2 day window we have coming up (we've had like 10" of rain in the last 14 days and temps in the 30's, 40's, and 50's.). I drove past probably a thousand acres of standing first crop, then talked to a guy at the coop that runs about 100 momma cows and he only has about half the hay he needs for the winter done. Plenty of guys in the same boat (no pun intended) as you.

Job for today is braving the 49 degrees and driving rain and putting duals on the tractor in hopes of not getting stuck trying to make hay....

Good luck. We are into the cold fall rain already as well
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:46 am

boondocks wrote:
chevytaHOE5674 wrote:Your not alone at all. Went to look a field yesterday in the rain that is on decently drained and sloped ground with hopes of making some silage in a 2 day window we have coming up (we've had like 10" of rain in the last 14 days and temps in the 30's, 40's, and 50's.). I drove past probably a thousand acres of standing first crop, then talked to a guy at the coop that runs about 100 momma cows and he only has about half the hay he needs for the winter done. Plenty of guys in the same boat (no pun intended) as you.

Good luck. We are into the cold fall rain already as well

We just got back from Alexander Bay yesterday. The weather was great for making hay till Saturday. I even hauled hay for a day just for something to do.
The groom put 1120 rolls of hay in his barn last week.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:28 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
We just got back from Alexander Bay yesterday. The weather was great for making hay till Saturday. I even hauled hay for a day just for something to do.

We are in an odd area. Hilly and sloped. We can literally have a downpour on one end of the property and sunshine on the other. We did get a few nice days and our hay guy got some of it in. He has a day job and I think that has held him back the last week or two, even when weather was decent. Crazy to be getting equipment to do our small farm. But we needed a bigger tractor anyway. (Or so I'm told!)

Looks like a beautiful wedding, and venue!
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:11 am

boondocks wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

We are in an odd area. Hilly and sloped. We can literally have a downpour on one end of the property and sunshine on the other. We did get a few nice days and our hay guy got some of it in. He has a day job and I think that has held him back the last week or two, even when weather was decent. Crazy to be getting equipment to do our small farm. But we needed a bigger tractor anyway. (Or so I'm told!)

Looks like a beautiful wedding, and venue!

I enjoy making hay. It gets a little stressful, and you need to gamble on the weather at times but I find it very rewarding.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:41 am

Well, since our hay guy is still AWOL, and we now have most of our equipment (other than a tedder), we (well, hubs) took a few practice runs tonight. The forecast was for a small chance of rain, so of course it poured 5 hrs later. It's junk anyway, will probably throw it in the woods. This is a bigger tractor than I'm used to so I will practice on it first before I try to cut hay.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:03 am

I do have the luxury of having fairly reliable summer weather, so I will always have a bunch of good hay.. Which is very nice for my stress levels.. if it rains on it.. oh well, I have some good stuff for the cows, and they'll also get some junk too. I haven't read every page in this thread, but it sure sounds like it wasn't good for you.

I wouldn't dream of making hay now, we had our first frost last night, and have had a lot of dew for the last month.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:10 am

Nesikep wrote:I do have the luxury of having fairly reliable summer weather, so I will always have a bunch of good hay.. Which is very nice for my stress levels.. if it rains on it.. oh well, I have some good stuff for the cows, and they'll also get some junk too. I haven't read every page in this thread, but it sure sounds like it wasn't good for you.

I wouldn't dream of making hay now, we had our first frost last night, and have had a lot of dew for the last month.

Yeah, we had a beautiful window (a bunch of them actually) but he never showed. Said he was coming last weekend then poof. Have rain coming in now, mix of cool days and quite warm days, cool nights. It will likely need taken off the field even if it's not usable, I guess (assuming field doesn't get too wet; I don't want to ruin it).
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:17 am

If you can get it bagged as silage, the cows might eat it just fine.. seeing the luck you've had with your hay guy I know that's probably not looking like a likely possibility though
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:17 am

As long as the hay hasn't turned black, it's still edible
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”