The truth about farming....

The place to start if you are new!
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: The truth about farming....

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:32 pm

talltimber wrote:I enjoyed the read as well.

I think he is getting a little too personal with it, and if he thinks as the article points out, I can see how it's a problem for him. The only way to not have some die, is to not have them. No other way. Now, that doesn't make losing an animal any easier, but you just have to try the best you can, learn from it, and move on - or get out. Before you can fail, you have to try. Really try, not lip service "I'm trying", but really lay it out there. Example, checking heifers every four hours is not something I enjoy. It's something I think I owe to the heifers, or there is no sense having them. It's my responsibility to the cattle. If I am satisfied that I have put forth the effort and done all I could, I'll still feel bad about it, but I won't consider myself a failure. I think he is getting into a serious depression type area there with the personal negativity. Guys gotta be careful there.

That was my impression. He is focusing on the negative characteristics of the vocation instead of the positive. Dangerous ground.
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:39 pm

I have to say that although I can relate to some of it, I also felt that it was too negative. I know I am not God, that I can't fix or do everything, and that I might do everything right and that things still can and will go wrong. I don't consider myself a failure when I fail at something, I try to learn and hope that the next time my best is good enough to make it work. But , I am not the only part of the equation, and if you are dealing with anything that is living and breathing, then death is a part of it. Hope and pray and try to make sure it is as small a part as possible, but if there is birth, there is death. There are days that I think everyone of us has said for a minute, Why in the #@$#@ am I doing this, but it passes pretty quickly and we keep on keeping on because we get something back from it that a piece of machinery just can't give us, and we can see that we have a place in it all.
You do the best you can, accept that you cannot do it all, be right or perfect all the time, and most of us ask for a little help and hope that we are given that boost by someone who realizes that we are really trying to do what is right and we are really trying the best that we can. We all know we are not perfect, or should recognize that we aren't, but no one ever asked for more than our real true honest best . The " So God Made a Farmer" piece is so true....
0 x

snoopdog
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby snoopdog » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:50 am

+1 farmerjan
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

ddd75
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ddd75 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:17 am

that was pretty retarded actually.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:38 am

ddd75 wrote:that was pretty retarded actually.

Yep. Not something I want to start the day with.

:D
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:49 am

If I felt like this:

(raising cattle) is an exercise in futility. Your job, when you raise livestock, is to keep one step ahead of death. One person told me once that the livestock owner’s job isn’t so much keeping the animals alive as it is preventing them from dying. Another common saying is that “a cow is born looking for a way to die and your job is to find it before they do”.

I would be loading cattle today and shipping them to Flemingsburg. Tomorrow, I would be booking a vacation to Tanzania.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:10 am

Bright Raven wrote:If I felt like this:

(raising cattle) is an exercise in futility. Your job, when you raise livestock, is to keep one step ahead of death. One person told me once that the livestock owner’s job isn’t so much keeping the animals alive as it is preventing them from dying. Another common saying is that “a cow is born looking for a way to die and your job is to find it before they do”.

I would be loading cattle today and shipping them to Flemingsburg. Tomorrow, I would be booking a vacation to Tanzania.

Must be your positive attitude. Every morning when I check cows I'm looking for something wrong. This morning the cows are covered in flies so I have to mix some spray up, dump a bag of cubes in a corner and try and spray most of them. Most days I wonder why the heck am I doing this instead of planting more pine trees, then I remind myself how much enjoyment I get from the cows when things are good. I sure have no interest in traveling to Africa and not hunting, I can see enough of Africa in Macon.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:24 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:If I felt like this:

Must be your positive attitude. Every morning when I check cows I'm looking for something wrong. This morning the cows are covered in flies so I have to mix some spray up, dump a bag of cubes in a corner and try and spray most of them. Most days I wonder why the heck am I doing this instead of planting more pine trees, then I remind myself how much enjoyment I get from the cows when things are good. I sure have no interest in traveling to Africa and not hunting, I can see enough of Africa in Macon.

Oh my!!! You can not begin to imagine the difference. Africans are the ultimate in self reliance and self subsistence. No one over there handing out freebies. That is not to say the elements do not tax their resources. Africa is very unfriendly to humans.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:34 am

the truth is when you have dirt in your blood you find peace and solitude from something that most do not understand. I often sit and watch and look at everything in amazement and Know that this did not happen by chance. I work hard and after about 30hrs in a tractor seat the last few days . My neck hurts and im walking like a 90 yr old but yesterday evening about dark I rode a section of fence that I built last year and I added a few cutoffs to keep the electric where I want it and called the cows to turn them into waste high crabgrass and they hit the gap at a full run, bucking and kicking and I could see the pure joy in their actions . the aches dwindled and I thanked Almighty for all that I have and Just smiled as they headed over to the back corner . I have days where I think its not worth it but If I tally it up I have far more days that I feel a sense of accomplishment and I know that One day when I have to answer for all Ive done, I pray he will say "well done My child"
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:46 am

M-5 wrote:the truth is when you have dirt in your blood you find peace and solitude from something that most do not understand. I often sit and watch and look at everything in amazement and Know that this did not happen by chance. I work hard and after about 30hrs in a tractor seat the last few days . My neck hurts and im walking like a 90 yr old but yesterday evening about dark I rode a section of fence that I built last year and I added a few cutoffs to keep the electric where I want it and called the cows to turn them into waste high crabgrass and they hit the gap at a full run, bucking and kicking and I could see the pure joy in their actions . the aches dwindled and I thanked Almighty for all that I have and Just smiled as they headed over to the back corner . I have days where I think its not worth it but If I tally it up I have far more days that I feel a sense of accomplishment and I know that One day when I have to answer for all Ive done, I pray he will say "well done My child"

:nod: :nod: :nod:
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:48 am

TexasBred wrote:
M-5 wrote:the truth is when you have dirt in your blood you find peace and solitude from something that most do not understand. I often sit and watch and look at everything in amazement and Know that this did not happen by chance. I work hard and after about 30hrs in a tractor seat the last few days . My neck hurts and im walking like a 90 yr old but yesterday evening about dark I rode a section of fence that I built last year and I added a few cutoffs to keep the electric where I want it and called the cows to turn them into waste high crabgrass and they hit the gap at a full run, bucking and kicking and I could see the pure joy in their actions . the aches dwindled and I thanked Almighty for all that I have and Just smiled as they headed over to the back corner . I have days where I think its not worth it but If I tally it up I have far more days that I feel a sense of accomplishment and I know that One day when I have to answer for all Ive done, I pray he will say "well done My child"

:nod: :nod: :nod:

X2
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:51 am

True Grit Farms wrote:

Hate to tell you this but those are pure blood, registered, locally bred and reared Americans. Most have an American history that probably goes back much farther than yours but the lighter colored ones may be some of your distant relatives.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:22 am

TexasBred wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

Hate to tell you this but those are pure blobod, registered, locally bred and reared Americans. Most have an American history that probably goes back much farther than yours but the lighter colored ones may be some of your distant relatives.

NO! Vince is from North Dakota. ;-)
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:54 pm

HDRider wrote:I still love it, but sometimes I think I am about to drown.

My hat is off to ya'll that do this well. It is no small feat. You have a right to be proud. :cowboy:

Indeed it can be overwhelming but only if you let it. What I have found helpful is when you begin to feel overwhelmed with all the little things that are swallowing you and your time like the waters of a frigid lake you need to stand back and admire the lake from a distance and reflect on the big picture; your accomplishments, your vision, and your vision of things to be.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:55 pm

TexasBred wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

Hate to tell you this but those are pure blood, registered, locally bred and reared Americans. Most have an American history that probably goes back much farther than yours but the lighter colored ones may be some of your distant relatives.
got slapped to reality with that possiblity one day.. Talking to a black Man ,who's grandmother was a Cherokee Indian,from the same area my Cherokee Great grandmother was from :lol:
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Return to “Beginners Board”