Pasture Lease

The place to start if you are new!
backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Re: Pasture Lease

Postby backhoeboogie » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:29 am

ddd75 wrote:
backhoeboogie wrote:My problem has always been longevity. Fix it up and you lose it.

i have a neighbors 12 ac .. he hasn't touched it in years. It's actually looking pretty good now with my cows on it.

Now he's asking me to mow, spray, etc... I'm like.. I'll mow it once, thats it.

After ripping all the trees down, getting it all nice.. new fence.. boom.. that place will be on the market for top dollar and not even a 'thanks' to me.

nah.. i'll just let it grow up and buy it for market price like it is.

There is a man who had his pasture leased sort of the same way. The kid on it really didn't need it any longer but he was going to stay since he had fixed it up so nice. The owner decided to go up on the rent. I helped the kid get his stuff off of that place. Anyway, that place has been sitting and is getting grown over with mesquites and weeds. It needs a little TLC and the owner will probably loose his tax exemption if it does not stay in ag.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

Ridgefarmer63
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Ridgefarmer63 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:43 pm

Might be steppin' on my dick here, but, it is a family trait...

In the northeast area, anyone care to share what they think is a reasonable price for grazing land?

Looking at a place this weekend although it will be covered in snow, but the nice lady say's it's super rich soil, grows thicker than thick. When I asked her what it actually grew, she said it was green... Which is a true statement I'm sure.

Pasture is already fenced with high tensile and water is available says she.

I believe it'll be 10-15 acres or so, 10 miles from our farm.

Thanks.
0 x

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:09 pm

What's an average per acre rate to lease pasture? I'm tempted to approach a new neighbor that has 20 acres in row crops leased out and see if I can flip them to hay. Would save me some hauling cost and time.
0 x

Ridgefarmer63
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Ridgefarmer63 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:35 pm

For hay, I've heard ~25bucks/acre + or - , depending on the productivity of the field. Or 50 cents /bale.

For grazing land I've heard anywhere from 25 to 50 cents per pound weight gain.

Disclaimer: Those above were other peoples numbers.

My personal experience is I hay two "leased" fields. Both on a handshake.

One is semi rough, ok hay, 5-6 acres. I bring him a couple packages of beef and a growler from a local brewery. The other field is 8 or so acres, flat, rectangular, good quality hay, I bring him a cord of wood, cut split and delivered. Both fields are with-in a 1/2 mile of the farm.
0 x

NolanCountyAG
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NolanCountyAG » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:16 pm

NonTypicalCPA wrote:What's an average per acre rate to lease pasture? I'm tempted to approach a new neighbor that has 20 acres in row crops leased out and see if I can flip them to hay. Would save me some hauling cost and time.

$4-$5.
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:42 pm

We are paying an average of 20-30 per acre per year for pasture. That is with good fences and water. Have paid 1,000 year for a 90 acre place that we did all the fence work/repair. The fences were "wish they were there" type of fences on part but that was wooded and the cows had nothing to go looking at. Pasture is hard to find and we have lost 2 places to sales of the properties. One we had for 25 + years. Every area is different, and every deal is different. You HAVE to take into account what you are responsible to do.

Try talking to your county extension agent. They are usually up on the going rates even if they don't know of any available. And if you are approached, or know of a place coming up, don't advertise that you are looking at it to lease. There is always someone who will come and slide in under you and offer a little more and then in a couple of years, after they have used it up and run it into the ground, then it will be available again. Then it is worth ALOT LESS because you will spend years trying to get it back into nice shape. We have 3-5 year leases on most places. Many we start out with a 1 year to make sure we get along with the landlord and it is a good fit. Sometimes there are places that you just want to get away from. A 1 year lease allows both to get to know what the other will do, etc., and lets you get out of it if it isn't working with not alot of investment of time in it . A couple of our 1 year deals have evolved into long term things.
2 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:06 am

i'd like to get soem more ground but most are getting at least 200+ / ac for ground.

with about 15 acres I could get around 150 round bales or so I imagine. 150 x 30 = 4500.00

15 ac x 200 = 3,000.00 ...

Depends on if you get a good hay yield.. the problem is getting the grass established enough.. usually the first year you're screwed.

The thing is the hay that i'd make would be 10x better then anything you could buy.. with the new seed genetics, fertilizer, and timely cuttings.. so if I bought a 30.00 bale from a guy down the road, it sucks.. but my 30.00 bale.. which would really go for probably 50+ around here.. has a lot more value.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”