Banding 101

The place to start if you are new!
Aaron9876
Beginner
Beginner

Banding 101

Postby Aaron9876 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:29 pm

I need to band my first calf (2 1/2 month old angus cross). It was a bottle calf i was gifted because the farmer didnt want to mess with it. I've just turned it loose into the pasture so its time to do the deed...

I need the rundown on procedure and some advice

From what ive read so far i need to vaccinate it several weeks prior to banding which is where i have the most questions.

The actual banding part seems quite straight forward. Make sure you get the band in the correct position and that you get both of them, Curious if anyone applies an antiseptic of some sort with the band or cleans/disinfectants prior to applying the band? Also there seem to be two different systems for banding. Given the age of the calf which type would you recommend?

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Re: Banding 101

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:28 am

use the small "cheerio" band, you are right it's very straight forward, have never used disinfectants or tetanus shots with the small bands and have never had a problem
I've only given tetanus shot when using the large bander/ over 500 lbs

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:59 am

Yeah, just the green bands will work. We don't do anything to disinfect. We do give tetanus.. He may be uncomfortable for a couple hours, but after that he'll be just fine. Will take about a month for the nuts to fall off depending on the weather. They'll get gross, smelly, then finally dry up and fall off.
I can get a heck of a good look at a T-Bone steak by sticking my head up a bull's a22, but I'd rather take the butcher's word for it.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:09 am

cowgirl8 wrote:Yeah, just the green bands will work. We don't do anything to disinfect. We do give tetanus.. He may be uncomfortable for a couple hours, but after that he'll be just fine. Will take about a month for the nuts to fall off depending on the weather. They'll get gross, smelly, then finally dry up and fall off.

Do you give the tetanus 2 weeks prior to banding and then the booster when you band?
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:18 am

We band day 1 or 2 and give Covexin 8. Just count to 2 :)

Texas PaPaw
GURU
GURU

Postby Texas PaPaw » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:24 am

After applying band and counting to 2, if you will make a slit or 2 thru the scrotum below the band, this will allow the nuts to dry out and fall off in half the time it takes for unslit ones. Been doing this for many years after got tired of seeing big cutting bulls walking around with a dried out leather sack dangling by the cord for several days before finally falling off.
Good luck & happy trails.

Brock

Brock's Law "If you do enough stumblin', you'll stumble on to something"

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:58 am

I've seen tetanus in baby calves banded with the green cheerio, so it's not just a problem for bigger bulls.
If you give tetanus antitoxin(TAT) at the time of banding, it should provide 'immediate' protection...but I'd still recommend giving a multivalent clostridial bacterin/toxoid containing tetanus toxoid(TT), in addition to the TAT... and then a booster at the appropriate time, as recommended on the label, if only for blackleg prevention.
If, however, you're counting on the calf's own response to the tetanus toxoid for protection, I'd want to give an initial dose of clostridial bacterin/toxoid 2-3 weeks prior to banding, then booster at the time of band application.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:00 am

Have a small set of diaganal cutters handy just in case one slips between the first count and after you apply the band.
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Aaron9876
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Aaron9876 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:02 am

Thank you all for the help...

Any additional vaccinations I should give while I'm at or just tetanus and blackleg.

Need to tag him also but I don't believe I have any questions about that...

Little bugger is gunna have a rough day...

Return to “Beginners Board”