Does anybody make a living with cattle?

The place to start if you are new!
Dave
GURU
GURU

Re: Does anybody make a living with cattle?

Postby Dave » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:00 pm

Those big western ranches rarely check the cows. They check the water, and look at the grass but the cows are spread over an area too big the check. It often takes several weeks to move the cows out of one pasture to another.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:29 pm

Katpau wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
Katpau wrote:There are plenty of people who make a living on cattle, but you won’t find many with the time or the inclination to post here. It seems like most of the people with the time to post on this site don’t live in cattle country so I am not surprised that they don’t personally know full time producers.

It is still possible to make a living with cattle, but it does depend on where you live. In the Umpqua Valley of Oregon you can still find reasonable land to lease, but you will need to have lived her much of your life to have the connections to find it. Off the top of my head, I can think of 8 full time cow/calf operations and one stocker grower who are personal friends and have no income outside of the ranch. You won’t find any of them posting here. They don’t have that much spare time and most cattle questions they have can be better answered by a fellow rancher. My husband and I are retired from other occupations and run about 50 registered Angus cows on 1000 acres. We make a profit, but not enough to support our lifestyle. I would need up to 10 times as many cows for that, thousands more acres and it would mean working long hours. We do it because we enjoy it and it brings in a little extra income but we don’t depend on it as our primary income.

don't have many thousand acre ranches around here but 90% of the surrounding "million" acres has cattle on it. Small operators, some making money, some maybe not but that creates one pretty good size ranch and a he// of a lot of cattle. I do know they put a lot of meat into the food supply so I'll politely disagree with your comment. ;-)
I am not at all sure what it is we disagree on. Since the average cattle herd in this country is less then 50 cows, I would agree that most must supplement that income. The question was "Does anyone make a living with cattle?" My answer to that was, yes they do. I probably should not have use cattle country in my response since it apparently was taken as some sort of an insult to those who are not in a situation where making their living with cattle is very likely. I don't know if it is possible to make a living raising cattle where you live or where most CT posters live, but the fact that so few seemed to know someone who did, made it appear that it would be difficult. Land prices, whether you rent or own, are probably the biggest obstacle. There are places where it is possible, if you have the knowledge, skill-set and ability to work for it and people do make a living with cattle.

Possibly this: I consider my area to be cattle country, albeit small herd cattle country.

To me "Cattle country" is where most of your neighbors make their living raising cattle. Since only a few of the posters on the first 9 pages of this thread knew people who made a living that way, I can only assume they are not in "Cattle country". Where I live, I am almost completely surrounded by ranches much larger than mine. There are still many places in the US where cattle are an important part of the local economy and most of your neighbors support their families by raising cattle.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:15 pm

Cattle have been my mainstay for about two decades and I'm thirty nine(I think, maybe thirty eight... or seven). It is a recent turn of events that being a producer is the bulk of my income but that is due to giving up other sources of income which were mostly cattle related as I've had my own cattle my entire adult life.
There's lots of different ways to make money with cattle. We all like to look up to the folks that run cows for a living and do nothing else but honestly it's not that great of a plan unless you can do it so big that there is money to spare in hard years.
What we don't see here on the board very often is real dollars and cents about what people do that WORKS. Yes, you can make a living with cattle but it's not as easy as buying a few cows and plopping them out in the pasture and selling calves.
0 x

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:02 pm

Also, Most ground that will sell for what cattle will pay for is not ground that most up and comers are willing to tackle with very few exceptions. When we moved here to eastern OK it was a calculated move based on land price and carrying capacity.
I ran my cows in CA on places that nobody else wanted to mess with. If you are serious about making it work that's what it takes.
0 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:29 pm

cow pollinater wrote:What we don't see here on the board very often is real dollars and cents about what people do that WORKS. Yes, you can make a living with cattle but it's not as easy as buying a few cows and plopping them out in the pasture and selling calves.

Best comment on this board in quite a while for my 2 cents. Truth!
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
-Anais Nin

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:44 pm

cow pollinater wrote:What we don't see here on the board very often is real dollars and cents about what people do that WORKS. Yes, you can make a living with cattle but it's not as easy as buying a few cows and plopping them out in the pasture and selling calves.

Well, when one does, they are called braggers. Been living off cattle for over 37 years....but i digress
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:48 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:

Well, when one does, they are called braggers. Been living off cattle for over 37 years....but i digress

No, you get called a bragger because you insist on pounding it into everyone's head that you're special. In reality you're average at best.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:54 pm

cow pollinater wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:

No, you get called a bragger because you insist on pounding it into everyone's head that you're special. In reality you're average at best.

How many pages of OHHH wonder if anyone can make it in the cattle business.... oh brother.. I'd love for anyone to point out where I said I was special...I answer questions, I comment, I give my opinion...just like everyone else.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:00 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:
cow pollinater wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:Well, when one does, they are called braggers. Been living off cattle for over 37 years....but i digress

How many pages of OHHH wonder if anyone can make it in the cattle business.... oh brother.. I'd love for anyone to point out where I said I was special...I answer questions, I comment, I give my opinion...just like everyone else.
In eleven pages you are the only person bragging about making a living with cattle. Lots and lots of people make their living that way but somehow you seem to be the one that just can't stand not to tell us all how special you are for doing it.
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:37 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:
cow pollinater wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:Well, when one does, they are called braggers. Been living off cattle for over 37 years....but i digress

What made you successful cowgirl?
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ol' 243 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:44 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:
cow pollinater wrote:No, you get called a bragger because you insist on pounding it into everyone's head that you're special. In reality you're average at best.

50% Google 50% Bing
1 x

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:45 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:
cow pollinater wrote:No, you get called a bragger because you insist on pounding it into everyone's head that you're special. In reality you're average at best.

Prol her poor azz husband that works all day everyday to stay out of the house.
0 x

Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ol' 243 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:51 pm

Bet he wishes he was the Ray Charles of the hearing impaired.
0 x

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:55 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:
Aaron wrote:Most of the full time guys I know aren't lazy by any stretch, they just don't play well with others and get along with cows much better. Not hard to do if you don't mind lowering your standards and forget about keeping with the Jones's. But most of N. America has priced it's land out of value in terms of livestock. Just a few pockets left where land is cheap and decent to raise cattle.

We've never lowered our standards and most people have to keep up with us. lol

Yep, I bet all over that part of Texas ranchers are aspiring to ranch like you and live your lifestyle.
0 x

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:59 pm

Ol' 243 wrote:Bet he wishes he was the Ray Charles of the hearing impaired.

Word.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”