Does anybody make a living with cattle?

The place to start if you are new!
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Does anybody make a living with cattle?

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:36 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:We have for 37 years... I don't know how people get started these days with the price of land though....

it's almost impossible for a young person to get into the business now...it can be done but,they have to be industrious...most ain't . My son is,I'm not...

Why would a young person want to get into cattle? If cattle is your life, your sure missing out on a lot things and places this great country has to offer. We feel guilty leaving the cows to fend for themselves for a week.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ol' 243 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:52 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:We have for 37 years... I don't know how people get started these days with the price of land though....

Well duh . . . . . . .I heard you invented em, why would you not be able to make a livin' on em. :lol:
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:57 pm

They say the average age of a cattleman now is 58...alot of younger ones love the idea of it,but when it becomes work, they start weighing the effort?..
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:07 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:They say the average age of a cattleman now is 58...alot of younger ones love the idea of it,but when it becomes work, they start weighing the effort?..

The last number I heard for Texas was in the 60's.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:36 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
ALACOWMAN wrote:

it's almost impossible for a young person to get into the business now...it can be done but,they have to be industrious...most ain't . My son is,I'm not...

Why would a young person want to get into cattle? If cattle is your life, your sure missing out on a lot things and places this great country has to offer. We feel guilty leaving the cows to fend for themselves for a week.

Back in the day, we considered getting into the dairy business..Sure glad we didn't. Talk about getting tied down..
Our son works on the ranch, luckily, we can leave with him in charge and feel good about it. We don't leave during the peek of the calving season, hay season...But the other times we take off..
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:47 pm

I could be here 24/7 and nothing happen.. But plan a trip one of them will pull a monkey shine...
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:14 pm

I do not know of one single person who makes their living ranching. They are a few families that get by farming. The closest thing is some guys who ranch, bail hay, and have other equipment for hire. Most are propped up by large inheritance, O&G, or are retired.

Its impossible to make a living off cattle now days. The cost of living is too high and the margin on cattle is too low.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:34 pm

Yes. I have been digging into this, so no opinions here. Just the facts Man. Examples are:

cow/calf - several with over 100 cows, low debt, less than 25K family living expense :o
stocker - several with north/south connection and/or custom backgrounders who can take 2 or 3 wts.
back grounding - several with a semi to haul by product, but most of these went under in the 2014 to 2016 price collapse
feedlot - just one, he feeds his own grain, likes to buy green or chromed up calves
seed stock - several second or third generation operations with a lot of rep
0 x
Stocker Steve

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:37 pm

Brute 23 wrote:Its impossible to make a living off cattle now days. The cost of living is too high and the margin on cattle is too low.
Sounds like G&O ruined ranching there. Time to move east or north. :cowboy:
0 x
Stocker Steve

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:40 pm

There is no way you can start from scratch and live on 100 head.... any where. There is more to that story.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:45 pm

Brute 23 wrote:There is no way you can start from scratch and live on 100 head.... any where. There is more to that story.

Some inherit some land to keep the debt down, or send the wife in to town, but I started with a couple hand operated fencing tools, a lease, some disposable syringes, and a credit card advance. Made for an interesting ROE calculation.
0 x
Stocker Steve

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:52 pm

Brute 23 wrote:There is no way you can start from scratch and live on 100 head.... any where. There is more to that story.

Depends on your lifestyle. Mr. Dan had 150 acres he bought after WWII, and 50 brood cows a Farmall gas tractor. I knew him for 20 years and never knew he had much of anything. He left his only nephew $840k cash, the land and cows.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:55 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:

Some inherit some land to keep the debt down, or send the wife in to town, but I started with a couple hand operated fencing tools, a lease, some disposable syringes, and a credit card advance. Made for an interesting ROE calculation.

I don't think inheriting land and your wife working in town counts as living off ranching. We have those here too. Most of them are lazy, drunks who use their "ranch job" as an excuse not to get a real job.
Last edited by Brute 23 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:58 pm

The fact is if you are industrious enough now days to make a ranching operation work you are wasting your talents.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:03 pm

You are adding conditions with the "starting from scratch". That is a different thread.

The more detailed "make a living" questions are:
1) what is your family draw from the ranch?
2) how much capital does it take to make this living with cattle?
3) what are the big risks?
4) is it wise to invest that much in a cattle operation?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Return to “Beginners Board”