Does anybody make a living with cattle?

The place to start if you are new!
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Re: Does anybody make a living with cattle?

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:08 pm

Brute 23 wrote:The fact is if you are industrious enough now days to make a ranching operation work you are wasting your talents.

You need to read "Cows Save The Planet" :idea:
0 x
Stocker Steve

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:18 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:You are adding conditions with the "starting from scratch". That is a different thread.

The more detailed "make a living" questions are:
1) what is your family draw from the ranch?
2) how much capital does it take to make this living with cattle?
3) what are the big risks?
4) is it wise to invest that much in a cattle operation?

Ok your right SS.

If you have a time machine... can go back to WW2... live on 25K a year... you can make it ranching full time.

Also, if you inherit all your stuff, find a sugar momma, and live on 25K a year... you can make it ranching full time.

The secret is out. Now every one knows.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:55 pm

One local guy has been making his living of of cattle his entire life. He's my age now and was planning on selling out. A young friend of mine worked for him for about 5 years and was all set to buy him out but he changed his mind. Asked hi the other day why he had changed his mind and he said he couldn;t see being in debt for the next 30 years just to buy out the business.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:44 pm

Most of the full time guys I know aren't lazy by any stretch, they just don't play well with others and get along with cows much better. Not hard to do if you don't mind lowering your standards and forget about keeping with the Jones's. But most of N. America has priced it's land out of value in terms of livestock. Just a few pockets left where land is cheap and decent to raise cattle.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:58 am

Aaron wrote:Most of the full time guys I know aren't lazy by any stretch, they just don't play well with others and get along with cows much better. Not hard to do if you don't mind lowering your standards and forget about keeping with the Jones's. But most of N. America has priced it's land out of value in terms of livestock. Just a few pockets left where land is cheap and decent to raise cattle.

2x on cow/calf.
Need to look at a sell/buy side lines if land is not cheap in your area, and you are not willing to move.
Dairy expansion is currently driving land prices up here.
Last edited by Stocker Steve on Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:58 am

Stocker Steve wrote:Yes. I have been digging into this, so no opinions here. Just the facts Man. Examples are:

cow/calf - several with over 100 cows, low debt, less than 25K family living expense :o
stocker - several with north/south connection and/or custom backgrounders who can take 2 or 3 wts.
back grounding - several with a semi to haul by product, but most of these went under in the 2014 to 2016 price collapse
feedlot - just one, he feeds his own grain, likes to buy green or chromed up calves
seed stock - several second or third generation operations with a lot of rep

So you think you can't live on that? From data usa:

The median household income in Winston County, AL was $33,194 in 2015
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:12 am

Craig Miller wrote:So you think you can't live on that? From data usa:

I know you can, and I know people that do. They burn wood, raise a lot of food, shop thrift stores, and drive used vehicles. But there are limits w/o going Amish. Insurance is getting to be a big challenge.

At some point you need to focus on more income, not on saving your way to prosperity. You can search the Farm Business Management cost and income numbers for ideas - - looking at the average net (not much) vs. the top 20%.
0 x
Stocker Steve

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:31 am

Aaron wrote:Most of the full time guys I know aren't lazy by any stretch, they just don't play well with others and get along with cows much better. Not hard to do if you don't mind lowering your standards and forget about keeping with the Jones's. But most of N. America has priced it's land out of value in terms of livestock. Just a few pockets left where land is cheap and decent to raise cattle.

We've never lowered our standards and most people have to keep up with us. lol
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:24 am

Stocker Steve wrote:
Craig Miller wrote:So you think you can't live on that? From data usa:

I know you can, and I know people that do. They burn wood, raise a lot of food, shop thrift stores, and drive used vehicles. But there are limits w/o going Amish. Insurance is getting to be a big challenge.

At some point you need to focus on more income, not on saving your way to prosperity. You can search the Farm Business Management cost and income numbers for ideas - - looking at the average net (not much) vs. the top 20%.

That income is not far from poverty.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:33 am

cowgirl8 wrote:

Your're probably not making a living with 60 cows either.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:34 am

cowgirl8 wrote:

Can't accuse you of being humble....how do they have to keep up with you? Are you in a race to beat other ranchers? Never under stood that..
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:37 am

Poverty level is $16K for 2 people in 2017.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:39 am

amish moving in like crazy.. 7 new dairies opening up in the county !!!!

I know several cattle traders .. thats all they do and they have big money.

I see a lot of people making money off just cattle.. but they also probably inherited the land, don't have much expenses, and don't want a lot of stuff. They also don't put almost ANYTHING into the operation.

Brute.. Yes I am young and started a cattle operation from nothing, no help, and have bought everything without a dime from anyone else..ever. Yes I may be 'wasting' my talents, but I'd rather wake up and be on a farm everyday, then have to get up.. go to some business I own or job I work at and 'deal' with people, problems, driving..etc.. That to me is worth its weight in gold.
0 x

ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ClinchValley » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:42 am

ddd75 wrote:I'd rather wake up and be on a farm everyday, then have to get up.. go to some business I own or job I work at and 'deal' with people, problems, driving..etc.. That to me is worth its weight in gold.

Amen
0 x
I am forever in the pursuit of more knowledge and wisdom. For I will always be "green."

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:43 am

ddd75 wrote:amish moving in like crazy.. 7 new dairies opening up in the county !!!!

I know several cattle traders .. thats all they do and they have big money.

I see a lot of people making money off just cattle.. but they also probably inherited the land, don't have much expenses, and don't want a lot of stuff. They also don't put almost ANYTHING into the operation.

Brute.. Yes I am young and started a cattle operation from nothing, no help, and have bought everything without a dime from anyone else..ever. Yes I may be 'wasting' my talents, but I'd rather wake up and be on a farm everyday, then have to get up.. go to some business I own or job I work at and 'deal' with people, problems, driving..etc.. That to me is worth its weight in gold.

Indeed,, like your thinking...hope you do well...
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Return to “Beginners Board”