Does anybody make a living with cattle?

The place to start if you are new!
Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Does anybody make a living with cattle?

Postby Ol' 243 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:47 am

cowgirl8 wrote:
Aaron wrote:Most of the full time guys I know aren't lazy by any stretch, they just don't play well with others and get along with cows much better. Not hard to do if you don't mind lowering your standards and forget about keeping with the Jones's. But most of N. America has priced it's land out of value in terms of livestock. Just a few pockets left where land is cheap and decent to raise cattle.

We've never lowered our standards and most people have to keep up with us. lol

Regular ol' JR Ewing, Dallas type ranch I'm sure.
1 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:55 am

Craig Miller wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:Yes. I have been digging into this, so no opinions here. Just the facts Man. Examples are:

cow/calf - several with over 100 cows, low debt, less than 25K family living expense :o
stocker - several with north/south connection and/or custom backgrounders who can take 2 or 3 wts.
back grounding - several with a semi to haul by product, but most of these went under in the 2014 to 2016 price collapse
feedlot - just one, he feeds his own grain, likes to buy green or chromed up calves
seed stock - several second or third generation operations with a lot of rep

So you think you can't live on that? From data usa:

The median household income in Winston County, AL was $33,194 in 2015

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheeler_County,_Georgia
My neighbors live on $1,372.00 per month and have two running vehicles, a tractor and horse. It can be done but screw living like that.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:56 am

Ol' 243 wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:
Aaron wrote:Most of the full time guys I know aren't lazy by any stretch, they just don't play well with others and get along with cows much better. Not hard to do if you don't mind lowering your standards and forget about keeping with the Jones's. But most of N. America has priced it's land out of value in terms of livestock. Just a few pockets left where land is cheap and decent to raise cattle.

Regular ol' JR Ewing, Dallas type ranch I'm sure.

Some folks are so full of it you can smell them in the next county.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:03 am

Aaron wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:

Your're probably not making a living with 60 cows either.

No, not 60, after 2011, we've steadily been working our way back up to 300.. Again, i'll say that if you are just starting out and have to buy land now, not when it was 300 and under an acre like when we did, I don't think you can make a living. But our land was paid off long ago, as we planned, and 300 head makes us a good living and is manageable for us and one employee. Now if that makes a few of you mad, smh, I have no idea why. The OP asked the question...I gave my answer just like everyone else. And made the rebuttal to needing to lower your standards, for which we haven't....
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:06 am

ddd75 wrote:amish moving in like crazy.. 7 new dairies opening up in the county !!!!

I know several cattle traders .. thats all they do and they have big money.

I see a lot of people making money off just cattle.. but they also probably inherited the land, don't have much expenses, and don't want a lot of stuff. They also don't put almost ANYTHING into the operation.

Brute.. Yes I am young and started a cattle operation from nothing, no help, and have bought everything without a dime from anyone else..ever. Yes I may be 'wasting' my talents, but I'd rather wake up and be on a farm everyday, then have to get up.. go to some business I own or job I work at and 'deal' with people, problems, driving..etc.. That to me is worth its weight in gold.

I understand exactly what you are saying. Im 30 years old have have accumulated 10 head of my own the last 2 years. Its a hair before 7am on Saturday morning and I'm about to crank the tractor to start stacking hay. I'm here because I choose to be. I could have hopped on a plain and partied any where I wanted to last night but I didn't. This is where I want to be.

I have had a host of mentors over the years. They all hammered in to my brain that my passion, cattle, will be much more enjoyable if I am in the financial position to not depend on it. One of them said it best... when your 60, tired, broke, and been fighting cattle all your life, wishing you could afford basic things for yourself, your wife, your kids... you might have a different outlook of your "passion". So I have powered thru my day job and put a clear cut plan in motion to reach my goals. It is paying off and it makes that day job a lot easier.

From one young person to another I do truly hope it works out for you.

Remember the saying... believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:11 am

Brute 23 wrote:
ddd75 wrote:amish moving in like crazy.. 7 new dairies opening up in the county !!!!

I know several cattle traders .. thats all they do and they have big money.

I see a lot of people making money off just cattle.. but they also probably inherited the land, don't have much expenses, and don't want a lot of stuff. They also don't put almost ANYTHING into the operation.

Brute.. Yes I am young and started a cattle operation from nothing, no help, and have bought everything without a dime from anyone else..ever. Yes I may be 'wasting' my talents, but I'd rather wake up and be on a farm everyday, then have to get up.. go to some business I own or job I work at and 'deal' with people, problems, driving..etc.. That to me is worth its weight in gold.

I understand exactly what you are saying. Im 30 years old have have accumulated 10 head of my own the last 2 years. Its a hair before 7am on Saturday morning and I'm about to crank the tractor to start stacking hay. I'm here because I choose to be. I could have hopped on a plain and partied any where I wanted to last night but I didn't. This is where I want to be.

I have had a host of mentors over the years. They all hammered in to my brain that my passion, cattle, will be much more enjoyable if I am in the financial position to not depend on it. One of them said it best... when your 60, tired, broke, and been fighting cattle all your life, wishing you could afford basic things for yourself, your wife, your kids... you might have a different outlook of your "passion". So I have powered thru my day job and put a clear cut plan in motion to reach my goals. It is paying off and it makes that day job a lot easier.

From one young person to another I do truly hope it works out for you.

Remember the saying... believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

That's some good advice right there.
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:23 am

cowgirl8 wrote:
Aaron wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:We've never lowered our standards and most people have to keep up with us. lol

Your're probably not making a living with 60 cows either.

No, not 60, after 2011, we've steadily been working our way back up to 300.. Again, i'll say that if you are just starting out and have to buy land now, not when it was 300 and under an acre like when we did, I don't think you can make a living. But our land was paid off long ago, as we planned, and 300 head makes us a good living and is manageable for us and one employee. Now if that makes a few of you mad, smh, I have no idea why. The OP asked the question...I gave my answer just like everyone else. And made the rebuttal to needing to lower your standards, for which we haven't....

Old timers back then probably thought you were crazy for paying 300 and acre. Probably said you'd never be able to make a living with land prices that high.
0 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:40 am

You need 3-400 mother cows nowadays to make a living off cattle alone. Add calves, replacements, bulls.. and you're approaching 800 head. There's more people in cattle lying to themselves than any other market.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:20 am

My herd is very profitable. One of you should consider buying them all.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:10 am

Can thank the in and outers, for that....they dream of the land and wide open spaces,where they can shoot their guns buy new big duallys you can't turn around on forty acres..but then their off on a ew adventure..not gonna take a loss on land they just gave a ransom for farmer can't afford it ,so it passes on to the next fish...
Last edited by ALACOWMAN on Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:11 am

Don't know if qualifies as a living or not, but I am a farming is all I do. Cattle are my main thing, and this year we have started raising a bigger garden and doing farmers market. I have a inner ear condition (Meniere's) and have had a heart condition since birth. I am limited in what I can physically do. Sometimes I can work for a day or two and then be sick the next, so holding a public job would be difficult. I am not on any kind of disability or assistance, if I was I would not be able to do what I love, working with cattle.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:19 am

I know plenty that make a living off cattle. BUT almost all generate income with their skills and equipment as well.
Do custom planting, haying, hauling light construction. Sell hunting etc. They are ambitious , and business minded. And willing to make a dime when they can't make dollar.

I'm one of those that doesn't play well with others. I'd peck shyt with the chickens before I'll call another man boss.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:35 am

Average age of a principle beef cattle rancher is 58.32
913,246 total cattle & calf operations2. Of these:
727,906 are beef farms and ranches. Of these:
91% are family-owned or individually-operated
11% are operated by women
26,586 are engaged in cattle feedlot production. Of these:
80% are family owned or individually operated
5% are operated by women
64,098 are milk cow operations
Cattle inventory: 93.5 million, up 1.8% from January 20163
31.2 million beef cows
6.4 million beef replacement heifers in 2017, a 1.3% increase from 2016
9.35 million milk cows
35 million head calf crop (2016)
The average beef cow herd size is 40 head of cattle2

The truth is the cattle industry is quite diverse. I know quite a few cattlemen that raising cattle is their full time job. I know a lot more that raise cattle but have off the farm jobs. The boss and I fall into this category at least we did until the first of July. We will be doing cattle full time now that we have both retired fro. Our off farm jobs. We needed the income from our off farm jobs to help us build the farm. No matter if you do it full time or part time it is something that you have to love, it is the life style more than the profit that keeps us involved.

Gizmom

Gizmom
0 x
Respect give it to get it!

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:10 pm

Supa Dexta wrote:You need 3-400 mother cows nowadays to make a living off cattle alone. Add calves, replacements, bulls.. and you're approaching 800 head. There's more people in cattle lying to themselves than any other market.

I can see a person easily needing 300-500 sellable calves per year to even think about it. There better be some paid for land and awesome leases in that deal also.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:05 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:My neighbors live on $1,372.00 per month and have two running vehicles, a tractor and horse. It can be done but screw living like that.

There are people living on $20,000 a month who have nothing. Don't save anything. Always broke. They have their next 4 cruises already booked, kids signed up for the best private schools etc.

I don't think it is how much you earn but more of a case of how much you live on.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

Return to “Beginners Board”