Does anybody make a living with cattle?

The place to start if you are new!
Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Re: Does anybody make a living with cattle?

Postby Supa Dexta » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:19 pm

gizmom wrote:Average age of a principle beef cattle rancher is 58.32
913,246 total cattle & calf operations2. Of these:
727,906 are beef farms and ranches. Of these:
91% are family-owned or individually-operated
11% are operated by women
26,586 are engaged in cattle feedlot production. Of these:
80% are family owned or individually operated
5% are operated by women
64,098 are milk cow operations
Cattle inventory: 93.5 million, up 1.8% from January 20163
31.2 million beef cows
6.4 million beef replacement heifers in 2017, a 1.3% increase from 2016
9.35 million milk cows
35 million head calf crop (2016)
The average beef cow herd size is 40 head of cattle2

Gizmom

Gizmom

Somewhere there are 95,000 operations that arent beef, dairy or feedlot.. Seedstock?
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:55 pm

I don't think it is how much you earn but more of a case of how much you live on.[/quote] place here that has million dollar homes..but ask the utility workers how often they have to pull he plug.cause bill ain't paid....a lot of the rooms ain't furnished and bed sheets cover the Windows...about two passes with a push mower between houses.. https://www.google.com/search?q=hampton ... lXFo2lI10M:
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:10 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:I don't think it is how much you earn but more of a case of how much you live on.
place here that has million dollar homes..but ask the utility workers how often they have to pull he plug.cause bill ain't paid....a lot of the rooms ain't furnished and bed sheets cover the Windows...about two passes with a push mower between houses.. https://www.google.com/search?q=hampton ... lXFo2lI10M:[/quote]

That is exactly kind of place the millionaire next door avoids.

http://www.thomasjstanley.com/publicati ... next-door/
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:18 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
ALACOWMAN wrote:I don't think it is how much you earn but more of a case of how much you live on.
place here that has million dollar homes..but ask the utility workers how often they have to pull he plug.cause bill ain't paid....a lot of the rooms ain't furnished and bed sheets cover the Windows...about two passes with a push mower between houses.. https://www.google.com/search?q=hampton ... lXFo2lI10M:

That is exactly kind of place the millionaire next door avoids.

http://www.thomasjstanley.com/publicati ... next-door/[/quote] no doubt..one thing age has taught me,, to buy what I need.not what I want...once your in the ground,you ain't no better off then the next.. And be forgotten about in a year...
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:40 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:
Aaron wrote:Most of the full time guys I know aren't lazy by any stretch, they just don't play well with others and get along with cows much better. Not hard to do if you don't mind lowering your standards and forget about keeping with the Jones's. But most of N. America has priced it's land out of value in terms of livestock. Just a few pockets left where land is cheap and decent to raise cattle.

We've never lowered our standards and most people have to keep up with us. lol

Tackiest thing I've read in a very long time. Very telling.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:55 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:My herd is very profitable. One of you should consider buying them all.

I can't afford those spendy Texas hobby cattle. I am sticking with profitable one eyed Herefords. :nod:
0 x
Stocker Steve

southernultrablack
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby southernultrablack » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:58 pm

place here that has million dollar homes..but ask the utility workers how often they have to pull he plug.cause bill ain't paid....a lot of the rooms ain't furnished and bed sheets cover the Windows...about two passes with a push mower between houses.. https://www.google.com/search?q=hampton ... lXFo2lI10M:[/quote]
As I understand it, that place was built on a swamp also.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:08 pm

deleted
Last edited by ALACOWMAN on Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:13 pm

It wasn't a swamp but river bottom country that was prone to flood and still does ...My son has a plumbing business, works that area some..has stood in six inches of water working under em. Mcmullen cove is sho nuff a swamp....that was beautiful country at one time.. Makes you sick to see it now...
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:51 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:My herd is very profitable. One of you should consider buying them all.

I can't afford those spendy Texas hobby cattle. I am sticking with profitable one eyed Herefords. :nod:

One eyed Herefords.....They don't look so good. :lol:
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

GAonmymind
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby GAonmymind » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:06 pm

Bought two bulls from a guy in Alabama this week. He makes his living off the cattle business. Ray sells more than 65 brangus bulls a year. The bulls are 2 years old. Cost is $2,000 plus each. He fills a niche mentioned in another thread for good, reasonable priced bulls for seed stock/commercial producers. No web site and no advertising. Just good bulls at a good price and GREAT customer service.
He also minimizes costs by cutting and baling his own hay. Ray selectively breeds (no A.I. and no line breeding) and raises cattle. No bull leaves until he is vet checked and passes a BSE.
I could fill a book with the mistakes I have made in two years of running cattle. Ray has probably forgotten more about cattle than I will ever know. Yes, Ray makes a living with cattle.
0 x

dave_shelby
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby dave_shelby » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:48 pm

Long thread. Dont mean to cut anyone down, but I was dissapointed. Most of us are hobby farmers.

I get the land cost issue. I wanted to get in and saved for years to buy this place, the family land not working out. There is debt. I have to work a demanding job and balance being a dad. My wife is thankfully is putting up with an old farm house. Most of our clothes are thrift shop buys or stuff from the dumps share shed. We run old equipment, drive old cars, and make do. With all that, I dont see how its possible to start with out off farm income but do know some folks who are but they are all direct market organic.
Last edited by dave_shelby on Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:04 pm

dave_shelby wrote:So much negative talk. I wasted too much time reading through this but I have my doubts and am curious what other folks are thinking. Dont mean to cut anyone down, but I was dissapointed. Most of us are hobby farmers.

I was obviously wrong to admit that's what we do for a living....so, I was disappointed too... Damned if I do, damned if I don't...
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ol' 243 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:10 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:
dave_shelby wrote:So much negative talk. I wasted too much time reading through this but I have my doubts and am curious what other folks are thinking. Dont mean to cut anyone down, but I was dissapointed. Most of us are hobby farmers.

I was obviously wrong to admit that's what we do for a living....so, I was disappointed too... Damned if I do, damned if I don't...

That's BS, and eveyone here knows it but you. Nobody begrudges you making a living raising cows, nobody even begrudges you being a nutty fruitcake, just don't belittle other folks, and don't think other folks wanna be like you. I doubt you're the "Jones".
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:31 pm

Ol' 243 wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:

That's BS, and eveyone here knows it but you. Nobody begrudges you making a living raising cows, nobody even begrudges you being a nutty fruitcake, just don't belittle other folks, and don't think other folks wanna be like you. I doubt you're the "Jones".

Word of the day - Supercilious
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Return to “Beginners Board”