Hiring out clearing / grading cost per acre

The place to start if you are new!
BobbyLummus1
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Hiring out clearing / grading cost per acre

Postby BobbyLummus1 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:22 pm

Can someone give me an idea of what to expect hiring out someone to come behind the loggers who have clear cut a property . two different tracts on the same farm. one was all 23 yr old pine . other mixed hardwood pulpwood . Like to have a good idea of cost per acre , de-stump , grade pile and burn . I aim to make it into pasture
0 x

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Re: Hiring out clearing / grading cost per acre

Postby jedstivers » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:39 pm

Bet it will be a lot more than the timber brought per acre. Nothing like that in this area so I don't have much to base off of. I just know stuff like that sure adds up fast.
0 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:48 pm

Up here it's between 1500-1800 per acre. That includes everything you listed, plus deep disc in the small debris. Approximately..as Jed mentioned, it really adds up fast.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
-Anais Nin

MtnCows93
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby MtnCows93 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:05 pm

id say 1500 but the pine patch is gonna need a bunch of lime i bet
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:02 am

Your better off having someone clear and pile, and you do the burning. Burning piles takes a 1/2 hour 4 or 5 times a day to push it up, and the rest of the time your looking for something to do.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Gateboy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Gateboy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:08 am

It can very a lot depending on how heavy the timber was and how good a job is done. 1500-2500 $/ac is a fairly safe range.
0 x

ClinchValley
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby ClinchValley » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:22 am

Why not buy a dozer? Then sell it when you are done… It'd be fun on top of saving money.
0 x
I am forever in the pursuit of more knowledge and wisdom. For I will always be "green."

BobbyLummus1
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby BobbyLummus1 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:57 am

ClinchValley wrote:Why not buy a dozer? Then sell it when you are done… It'd be fun on top of saving money.

got very close to doing that . Decided against it . had a 40k pound trackhoe ( just sold) and still have a 100c international trackloader . I chose to sell the trackhoe in good working condition . It brought good money . I was afraid using it for a big job all day everyday would be too much on it and would risk big repair bill . (told the buyer my reason for selling too) .

My quotes came in a lot better than what I was hearing here . more like $600 an acre or $100-125 hr
0 x

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:10 am

Rent one.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:29 am

jedstivers wrote:Bet it will be a lot more than the timber brought per acre. Nothing like that in this area so I don't have much to base off of. I just know stuff like that sure adds up fast.

Agree. After I got mine pushed, piled, I still made a little $$ from the logging but only because I was lucky enough to have a neighbor with a skidder that worked pretty cheap and fast, otherwise it would have been a case of just trading all the logging money in for dozer work or machine rental.

(only small downside was he parked that leaky old skidder here and it's sat here ever since, and he did the work in 2009..I don't really mind tho..he's a good man and a good Christian friend. )
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:18 am

ClinchValley wrote:Why not buy a dozer? Then sell it when you are done… It'd be fun on top of saving money.

We've done this twice...
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:44 am

You can spend about what you want to but if you are just putting it in pasture why stump the planted pine area? At that age the stumps will rot in no time. Don't know how big the mixed hardwood stand is but if smaller sized stumps the land could be left to rot here also.

I've seen people spending up to $1800/acre to put their land in pasture when this was unnecessary if you aren't planning on haying it. Personally, I won't spend more than $300/acre on clearing pasture. I'll plant annuals for a few years and let nature rot all the stuff. Once nature has done its thing I'll harrow it good and level it then plant a permanent pasture or sprig hay. I normally can have it in a hay field within 5 years.
1 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:07 pm

Jogeephus wrote:You can spend about what you want to but if you are just putting it in pasture why stump the planted pine area? At that age the stumps will rot in no time. Don't know how big the mixed hardwood stand is but if smaller sized stumps the land could be left to rot here also.

I've seen people spending up to $1800/acre to put their land in pasture when this was unnecessary if you aren't planning on haying it. Personally, I won't spend more than $300/acre on clearing pasture. I'll plant annuals for a few years and let nature rot all the stuff. Once nature has done its thing I'll harrow it good and level it then plant a permanent pasture or sprig hay. I normally can have it in a hay field within 5 years.

Every time you post something, I learn. Usually after I already spent some money :oops: ..im going to need you to step up your posting please..before I do something real stupid soon..
1 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
-Anais Nin

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:55 pm

BobbyLummus1 wrote:Can someone give me an idea of what to expect hiring out someone to come behind the loggers who have clear cut a property . two different tracts on the same farm. one was all 23 yr old pine . other mixed hardwood pulpwood . Like to have a good idea of cost per acre , de-stump , grade pile and burn . I aim to make it into pasture

No matter what anyone tells you since we are not in your immediate area the #'s may vary quite a bit the best thing for you to do is rent one... outside of that estimates are free call some contractors in your area. I will come clear as much land as you need cleared and plant it for 20k per acre. :D
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:45 pm

Well I thought I posted today but it didn't post.
Rent a dozer or trackhoe and clear the fence lines and some roads. Maybe even push tops up to burn. If it's just going to be pasture get the fence on it and the cows in it. It's amazing what they can clean up.
Let stumps rot. That's your biggest expense.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”