Hiring out clearing / grading cost per acre

The place to start if you are new!
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Hiring out clearing / grading cost per acre

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:07 pm

jedstivers wrote:Well I thought I posted today but it didn't post.
Rent a dozer or trackhoe and clear the fence lines and some roads. Maybe even push tops up to burn. If it's just going to be pasture get the fence on it and the cows in it. It's amazing what they can clean up.
Let stumps rot. That's your biggest expense.

Only thing about not removing stumps is here atleast they don't fill in completely leaving room for animal to break a leg or a human.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:35 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
Rent a dozer or trackhoe and clear the fence lines and some roads. Maybe even push tops up to burn. If it's just going to be pasture get the fence on it and the cows in it. It's amazing what they can clean up.

Only thing about not removing stumps is here atleast they don't fill in completely leaving room for animal to break a leg or a human.

Have to start a new ground disk as they rot.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:27 pm

I agree. Time can be your friend and will help save you money. A good offset harrow is also a valuable tool to own. As for renting or buying a dozer I'll say this, it does little good to own or rent one unless there is someone sitting in the seat running it all day. I've seen many people go this route but don't keep it running and by the time they finally cover the property the other side of the property is grown back up. My neighbor did this. He's been clearing his land for pasture now for 15 years and he still isn't finished. I could have had cleared and harrowed in two weeks fifteen years ago and now he could be cutting hay or growing crops but he was he7bent on saving a dollar.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:43 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:

I disagree. If you go in and plant annuals on the land for a couple years all these holes will be filled when you harrow the dirt. Here it takes about two years on young trees - longer for older. You'll know when the ground is ready for the permanent cover. I've never had an animal break its leg due to a hole but if I did I am sure the savings would more than pay for the animal and many more just like it.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:41 pm

If it's just going to be pasture get the fence on it and the cows in it. It's amazing what they can clean up.

And depending on the type cattle and what's growing, the cows can do surprisingly well on it.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:16 pm

Jogeephus wrote:I disagree. If you go in and plant annuals on the land for a couple years all these holes will be filled when you harrow the dirt. Here it takes about two years on young trees - longer for older. You'll know when the ground is ready for the permanent cover. I've never had an animal break its leg due to a hole but if I did I am sure the savings would more than pay for the animal and many more just like it.

I disagree with that because there's expense tied up in fuel seed with that method s why not buck up the bucks get it all done and planted permanently the first time ??

I clear for a living and have all my own equipment and such and only way I clear my lands is stump out then disc because I don't want it to be a ongoing process I want it wrapped up asap
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:54 am

We'll have to agree to disagree because I see impatience as nothing but costing money.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:39 am

Jogeephus wrote:We'll have to agree to disagree because I see impatience as nothing but costing money.

I'm thinking about broadcasting bahia grass seed before I have some timber cut this winter and let the loggers pack and drag the seed in. I'll never clear land again that's going to pasture for a few years at least from now on. I'm glad I listened to Jogeephus when I cut timber in 2012 and his way works great if your not in a hurry. I'll add I did some spraying with Remedy and 24-D for the dog fennel and other trash yearly.
If I cleared land for a living, and wasn't worried about money I'd be recommending the same thing as Sky. The OP was asking how much the cost was not how to do the job, like money wasn't a problem.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Ridgefarmer63
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Ridgefarmer63 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:20 am

Well, I've read all the responses and what it comes down to is what the OP wants. If you want it done fast, it ain't gonna be cheap. Dozers take a lot of topsoil. Even excavators on fresh stumps take a lot of topsoil unless they shake the shat out of the stumps.

I just cleared 40 plus acres of "OLD" pastures. They had marketable timber on them. 60 plus years of growth. A lot of that in New England as everybody headed west back in the day. At least the smart ones did. I stayed ....

I clear cut it, fenced it and put the cattle to it. When you remove the overstory, you will be surprised by how quickly the dormant grass/legume seeds begin to sprout.

Let the cattle woozy up those stumps for 2-4 years, rent an excavator and git-r-dun.

Shake the stumps out, stack em, burn em, drink a few beers along the way too, maybe. Good luck.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:57 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:We'll have to agree to disagree because I see impatience as nothing but costing money.

I'm thinking about broadcasting bahia grass seed before I have some timber cut this winter and let the loggers pack and drag the seed in. I'll never clear land again that's going to pasture for a few years at least from now on. I'm glad I listened to Jogeephus when I cut timber in 2012 and his way works great if your not in a hurry. I'll add I did some spraying with Remedy and 24-D for the dog fennel and other trash yearly.
If I cleared land for a living, and wasn't worried about money I'd be recommending the same thing as Sky. The OP was asking how much the cost was not how to do the job, like money wasn't a problem.

This works great with Klein grass broadcast the seed while the work is being done. Seems like tracks press the seed in perfectly.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:28 pm

callmefence wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

This works great with Klein grass broadcast the seed while the work is being done. Seems like tracks press the seed in perfectly.

What's the down falls on Klein grass? Do you think mixing some Klein grass seed with Tif 9 bahia seed is a good idea for new ground?
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:17 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
callmefence wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

What's the down falls on Klein grass? Do you think mixing some Klein grass seed with Tif 9 bahia seed is a good idea for new ground?

For me yeah for you idk. I'd rather have Klein than Bermuda. It's a little harder to get established. Sometimes seems impossible. But once you do you got it. It does well in the hot and dry. And will hold its own without fertilizer if need be. Although it does respond well to fertilizer .
I'm on the edge of Bahia country. We get a little in the ditches and seeps. I would love to have more but it would leave me as soon as the rain we've been blessed with did.

Klein does not like competition getting established. But handles it fine once established.

It's very easy to get it to deep. That was a expensive lesson.

It's won't tolerate cold. This I would really checkon if I was you. Idk how cold you get.
0 x

David Crockett

5S Cattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 5S Cattle » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:18 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
callmefence wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

Klein hay will kill horses. Not sure it will if they just eat the plant. So if you have horses, that's something to look into
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:26 pm

5S Cattle wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
callmefence wrote:

Klein hay will kill horses. Not sure it will if they just eat the plant. So if you have horses, that's something to look into

It kills em slow, takes upwards of 20 year's ;-)
0 x

David Crockett

5S Cattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 5S Cattle » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:12 pm

callmefence wrote:
5S Cattle wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

It kills em slow, takes upwards of 20 year's ;-)

Weird, always heard that. Obviously never tried it. Well there went my master plan to get rid of a couple that ain't pullin their weight :lol:
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”