Worst farmer of the year award goes to..

The place to start if you are new!
Lazy M
Rancher
Rancher

Worst farmer of the year award goes to..

Postby Lazy M » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:42 pm

Me.
I have a 30+ acre hayfield on one of our places that lies at the back edge of one of the farms in a bottom. Apparently some idiot (me) forgot to close the gate to this field in June whenever he was hauling out the bales.. The cattle apparently realized my mistake for the last couple months. As you can imagine, I thought my cows were sure keeping their condition well this summer whenever I've checked them :bang: ..
I went ahead and cut it, but will probably get about 1/3 as many bales as I was hoping for this second cut.
Just thought I'd share. Maybe I'll make someone feel less stupid.
0 x

BrangusUSA
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Worst farmer of the year award goes to..

Postby BrangusUSA » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:54 pm

No people died. No cattle died. So no biggie. I have made more expensive mistakes.
2 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:30 pm

Lazy M wrote:Me.
I have a 30+ acre hayfield on one of our places that lies at the back edge of one of the farms in a bottom. Apparently some idiot (me) forgot to close the gate to this field in June whenever he was hauling out the bales.. The cattle apparently realized my mistake for the last couple months. As you can imagine, I thought my cows were sure keeping their condition well this summer whenever I've checked them :bang: ..
I went ahead and cut it, but will probably get about 1/3 as many bales as I was hoping for this second cut.

They say people live up (or down) to their names, Lazy M... ;-) Maybe do like everyone else seems to do on here and change your handle to something more aspirational? :D
Glad they didn't get "out" out!
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:15 pm

Seems like you have smart cows.. Always be in the right pasture when the human comes to check on you!.. then sneak back for the good eats!
3 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:42 am

No doubt they were in it early morn or late evening....probably not much shade in it....
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:23 am

I think you'd have to do something better than that to pick up that award.

Ken
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:04 am

It's not like it all went to waste as your cows made good use of the opportunity to feed themselves.
They should get a medal, maybe most self sufficient herd in the county, but "no soup (award) for you."
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:22 am

And they'll go into winter in good shape.....concider it a trade off...
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

TN Cattle Man
GURU
GURU

Postby TN Cattle Man » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:31 am

Dang, I was expecting to read about something horrible!! If that's the worst thing that happens consider yourself lucky!!
2 x
As for me and my house... We will Serve the Lord!

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:43 am

ALACOWMAN wrote:And they'll go into winter in good shape.....concider it a trade off...

Truth that is...

Sounds like your cows are in better shape than you would normally expect. Their pasture is probably in better shape also. This isn't a coincident, the added acreage you didn't know you were utilizing changed your stocking rate. The outcome is noticeable. Learn from it.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

MtnCows93
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby MtnCows93 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:16 pm

look on the bright side, you spread some free manure on your hay field
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:30 am

Cows are considerably more cost effective at harvesting a crop of grass and spreading fertilizer than any crew of diesel sucking machines.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:53 am

If that's all it takes to be the worst farmer of the year there are a lot of us that must be in a category all by ourselves. Like, most terrible farmer of all time!
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:30 am

Lazy M wrote:Me.

It was their food anyway...Who are you to deny them of delicious green grasses ? That sucks but alot more worse things could have happened.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Return to “Beginners Board”