Page 4 of 5

Re: Dumbest mistake youve made

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:10 am
by Nesikep
Brute 23 wrote:I did the tailgate deal one time but with a bumper pull. I was driving up the ramps and it came off the hitch. The trailer jumped up and popped the tailgate right below the handle. I had no choice but the back down so it put a nice gouge down to the bumper.

The funny thing is it made a distinct mark. Now that I look for it there are quite a few tailgates on the road with the same mark.


It's like the marks a jack-knifed trailer leaves on the bumper!

Re: Dumbest mistake youve made

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:59 am
by ALACOWMAN
Nesikep wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:I did the tailgate deal one time but with a bumper pull. I was driving up the ramps and it came off the hitch. The trailer jumped up and popped the tailgate right below the handle. I had no choice but the back down so it put a nice gouge down to the bumper.

The funny thing is it made a distinct mark. Now that I look for it there are quite a few tailgates on the road with the same mark.


It's like the marks a jack-knifed trailer leaves on the bumper!
or a cab, or a bedside top.. Man here was turning on a road and his tail gate dropped open. Trailer caught it and bent it.taking the bedside out in the process

Re: Dumbest mistake youve made

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:04 pm
by ALACOWMAN
Cross-7 wrote:Bought cattle !
a lot of folks did,some hocked a lot to buy em...then when the bottom dropped out,they wanted to sell em...

Re: Dumbest mistake youve made

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:22 pm
by Bigfoot
True Grit Farms wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:
MtnCows93 wrote:Not selling my heard in 2014 and buying back in 2016, anybody got a time machine i can borrow?


I hear people say that all the time, but the 2 calf crops you sold during that time should have made you happy.


The dummies are the one's that retained heifers in 2012 - 2014.


I kept several.

Re: Dumbest mistake youve made

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:48 pm
by Nesikep
I kept a few heifers as well in those years, but I also kept my culls, and by some stroke of luck, I sold them all right on the week of peak prices.. Got more for my PB bull than I paid for him 5 years earlier ($3100!!).. cull cows got about $1.40/lb that week, and my most awful looking dink calf got $3.75 /lb for 385 lbs.. that sure made up for the retained heifers!

Re: Dumbest mistake youve made

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:59 pm
by Brute 23
I did a good one with a dog trailer one time. It was about 4x8, single axle, we had put a long tongue on it so you could back it. My dad and I pulled in to my driveway to grab some thing. He and I were jawing back and forth and I started to back up... before I knew it the trailer was jack knifed beside me. I totally forgot is was back there.

We jumped out and my dad said... It did even hit the bumper. I said... what about the fender. He said... Oh $hit!. It caved in the fender between the tire and the bumper.

Re: Dumbest mistake youve made

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:09 pm
by True Grit Farms
Nesikep wrote:I kept a few heifers as well in those years, but I also kept my culls, and by some stroke of luck, I sold them all right on the week of peak prices.. Got more for my PB bull than I paid for him 5 years earlier ($3100!!).. cull cows got about $1.40/lb that week, and my most awful looking dink calf got $3.75 /lb for 385 lbs.. that sure made up for the retained heifers!


It might of made you feel better about keeping the high priced retained heifers, but you can't ever make up for lost money.

Re: Dumbest mistake youve made

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:27 pm
by Workinonit Farm
gizmom wrote:Are you talking just today?

Gizmom


:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Re: Dumbest mistake youve made

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:29 pm
by Workinonit Farm
dun wrote:A freind of mine has been married 5-6 times. 3 of those to his first wife. They've been together now for over 20 years (this time)


:lol2: :lol2:

Sounds like Elizabeth Taylor & Richard Burton! :lol:

Re: Dumbest mistake youve made

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:57 am
by cow pollinater
We were loading trailers one day and I was the last trailer. They stuck a couple of cull bulls on me and slammed the gate by the time I got out of the truck so I jumped back in and drove away without checking. On that trailer the safety chain is what holds the sliding half gate shut...
It is a lonely feeling when you're standing on the side of the highway poking a bull that just came out of rough country in the face with your index finger hoping he'll go ahead and back up.

Re: Dumbest mistake youve made

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:02 pm
by cow pollinater
Probably the worst dumb mistake I've ever made was letting my boss talk me into riding a free horse off on a week long trip into the back country. Common sense dictates that you figure out what you've got first.
That was over twenty years ago and I still limp on cold damp mornings and the hearing loss the doctors told me I would have showed up a few years back and is getting worse.

Re: Dumbest mistake youve made

Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:19 pm
by Dueyb
Probably not the dumbest but recent and hurt like a be nice. Loaded atv into back of my truck wearing shorts and flip flops late at night....one leg slipped through the space in the aluminum ramp all the way down. I was laughing and cussing at the same time.

Re: Dumbest mistake youve made

Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:22 pm
by Dueyb
Oh and recently left an empty gravity wagon at top of hill unblocked only to wake up next morning to find it at the bottom of the lane about 200 yards away. Just missed a steep ditch, mailbox and fence.

Re: Dumbest mistake youve made

Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:30 pm
by ALACOWMAN
Dueyb wrote:Oh and recently left an empty gravity wagon at top of hill unblocked only to wake up next morning to find it at the bottom of the lane about 200 yards away. Just missed a steep ditch, mailbox and fence.
ida beat that, it would have taken out every thing in its path...

Re: Dumbest mistake youve made

Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:31 pm
by cowgirl8
Right down the road is 300+ acres we thought about buying back when land was selling for under 300 an acre. Decided we had enough land and didn't get it. That place just sold for 1/2 mil.. Yep, regret that...