Moving Weak Cattle in Water

The place to start if you are new!
SteppedInIt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Moving Weak Cattle in Water

Postby SteppedInIt » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:58 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:Plastic barrels cut in half,,pieces butted side by side.. Will hold hay and cubes...won't take but a few minutes to throw together..I've cut em with a skill and tie em together...Good luck with them...

I can do this. Didn't think about that. Thanks.
0 x
"When the People fear their government there is tyranny, when government fears the people there is liberty" - Thomas Jefferson

SteppedInIt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby SteppedInIt » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:05 pm

callmefence wrote:
SteppedInIt wrote:
callmefence wrote:My first thought was filling a jon boat with hay and cubes and dragging it in there and leaving it. I'd take cubes to em every day. If the water doesn't start going down take the cubes to the boat and try to lead em out.

Yeah this may be all I can do. Just dependent on people w a boat.

Man I'll give you a jonboat if can't find one. I'm sure there's enough members between us I bet we could get there pretty easy.
Jonboat is worth its weight in gold around here all of a sudden. Just happened to run into a rescue crew brought me out there today from New York, Arizona and I can't remember the other. Glad they helped me out.

0 x
"When the People fear their government there is tyranny, when government fears the people there is liberty" - Thomas Jefferson

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:28 am

In the photos they seem pretty bright and healthy, a bit tucked up from not eating. All the best at getting them sorted. Not knowing your conditions there but my feeling would be to have them sit it out by bringing them the hay.

Ken
1 x

5S Cattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 5S Cattle » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:12 pm

Where you located? I have access to a job boat if you need a hand
1 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:23 pm

SteppedInIt wrote:
ALACOWMAN wrote:Plastic barrels cut in half,,pieces butted side by side.. Will hold hay and cubes...won't take but a few minutes to throw together..I've cut em with a skill and tie em together...Good luck with them...

Where you able to get feed to your cattle?
Water recede enough to get them out?
I know there was no feed in the area cause we sent some to Buna FFA .
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

SteppedInIt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby SteppedInIt » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:44 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
SteppedInIt wrote:

Where you able to get feed to your cattle?
Water recede enough to get them out?
I know there was no feed in the area cause we sent some to Buna FFA .
I had to bring them square bales by boat a few times. Water was finally down enough I made my first trip on land last Thursday the 8th. Overall I am glad to have them. I lost one heifer that disappeared. Figure water got her. Lost another heifer Friday got sick after water went down. Got one down that I have been giving antibiotic and b12. She seems fine, just won't get up. She has pink above her hooves so I am assuming a kind of rain rot and it must be causing her pain. The rest are starting to act normal. Some of em look like they got rain rot on their legs. B12 came from Buna FFA and I have been getting square bales and cubes from Donations at the cowboy church. Thanks to anyone who donated. My flatbed trailer was under water and I haven't gotten to it to regrease the wheels and check brakes, in order to go find hay. The donations have been extremely helpful and appreciated. I have been able to focus on the cattle and getting my fence cleaned up and repaired.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:58 pm

I was down that way today unbelievable where the water line was on the trees. Never before in my lifetime.
I know what we sent wasn't near enough.
I don't know who the guy is South of Kountze he has a bumper crop of round bales on the ground.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:58 pm

I don't have any contacts but there was a guy rolling hay on Chase airbase just east of Beeville in south TX that talked like,he,would give,it away. It looked good. The cattle association, down there is,offering to help with,feed and,hay
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

Return to “Beginners Board”