Rehoming

The place to start if you are new!
Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Rehoming

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:54 pm

I think selling her as a single is what is hurting you. As others have said, one cow listed for sale at that age makes people instinctively think "cull". Most people looking for middle aged, bred and registered stock would be more inclined to bite if it is a group of 3 or 4 uniform cows. Especially given your location, it may be more hassle for them to come look at one cow than they figure it is worth.... :2cents:
2 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

Lazy M
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Lazy M » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:06 pm

I'm sold..I'll go $1250 if you'll deliver to KY
2 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:34 pm

Boot Jack Bulls wrote:I think selling her as a single is what is hurting you. As others have said, one cow listed for sale at that age makes people instinctively think "cull". Most people looking for middle aged, bred and registered stock would be more inclined to bite if it is a group of 3 or 4 uniform cows. Especially given your location, it may be more hassle for them to come look at one cow than they figure it is worth.... :2cents:

:nod: :nod: :nod:
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:22 pm

BC wrote:Let see here, a 7 yr old, 3 months bred commercial cow was worth $1000 to $1250 last week. Since the packer cow market broke this week, probably worth closer to $1000 today.

$1200 maybe out here. Might bring more as she's a bit more "fancy".
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:22 pm

TexasBred wrote:
BC wrote:Let see here, a 7 yr old, 3 months bred commercial cow was worth $1000 to $1250 last week. Since the packer cow market broke this week, probably worth closer to $1000 today.

$1200 maybe out here. Might bring more as she's a bit more "fancy".

Seen a group of 5 cows just like her 5-8 years old 3-5 months bred with papers people wanted 1400 but took 1200.
1 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:30 pm

Good data points, thanks all. I have another one or two I was considering selling, so maybe I'll put together a group. The other two are younger (than this one) and have nice calves at side (heifer and bull, both out of Conneally Comrade).
0 x

nagwag
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby nagwag » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:26 pm

Boondocks, here is the 9/6 report from Fingerlakes Livestock Auction in Canandaigua.
cows-bone utility 51 to 67
If the cow weighs 1400 and got the top price of .67/lb that would only be $938. $1500 for a commercial guy would be just too much. $1200 would be more in line. Also, Fingerlakes is also having a big feeder sale tomorrow along with about 100 bred beef cows. The bred cow market is soft now heading into fall.
1 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:56 pm

nagwag wrote:Boondocks, here is the 9/6 report from Fingerlakes Livestock Auction in Canandaigua.
cows-bone utility 51 to 67
If the cow weighs 1400 and got the top price of .67/lb that would only be $938. $1500 for a commercial guy would be just too much. $1200 would be more in line. Also, Fingerlakes is also having a big feeder sale tomorrow along with about 100 bred beef cows. The bred cow market is soft now heading into fall.

I hear ya. I guess I'm having a hard time with (in my view) essentially giving her away. If I was getting interest I'd negotiate but I think there's just no one looking at all. Everyone has retained a lot themselves due to low prices. Feels like we're all in a game of chicken (so to speak! :lol: )
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:07 pm

Things here aren't very good either. I'd pay 1400 for her, registered and all, but we are too far apart that trucking would bring her price down to 1000 to be about right. I don't see anything wrong with her either and older cows don't scare me one bit. If you can manage to hold on to her, sell her with her calf by her side in the spring, at a breeder sale. Although not the type of cow needed in the south, there may be some need for bred cows and replacements after all the hurricane losses are counted and not just in Texas, but Fl and other southeast states. Plus, there is the rumors that this may be a very tough winter here in the mid-atlantic states. Sure we get those predictions, but we had next to no winter last year and a few more mild ones the past few years, so it may just be there will be a need for breds in the spring. We are cutting more of our OLD cows this year, and I mean grandma cows with no teeth and such, because we have also had 75% heifer calves in the past few years. Gives you alot to pick from but not near as much to sell like we do as feeders. We are commercial but have some scattered reg animals here and there. We still buy some here and there when they are cheap or are nice and older cows often are cheaper than 2-4 yr olds.
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:31 pm

farmerjan wrote:Things here aren't very good either. I'd pay 1400 for her, registered and all, but we are too far apart that trucking would bring her price down to 1000 to be about right. I don't see anything wrong with her either and older cows don't scare me one bit. If you can manage to hold on to her, sell her with her calf by her side in the spring, at a breeder sale. Although not the type of cow needed in the south, there may be some need for bred cows and replacements after all the hurricane losses are counted and not just in Texas, but Fl and other southeast states. Plus, there is the rumors that this may be a very tough winter here in the mid-atlantic states. Sure we get those predictions, but we had next to no winter last year and a few more mild ones the past few years, so it may just be there will be a need for breds in the spring. We are cutting more of our OLD cows this year, and I mean grandma cows with no teeth and such, because we have also had 75% heifer calves in the past few years. Gives you alot to pick from but not near as much to sell like we do as feeders. We are commercial but have some scattered reg animals here and there. We still buy some here and there when they are cheap or are nice and older cows often are cheaper than 2-4 yr olds.

Thanks for the advice. Thinking you're right that maybe we should just hold onto her until she calves. I need to get out my calculator and see what it'll cost to keep her over our (very very long) winter. Maybe I'll knock a little off the price and if I still get no bites, will hold onto her. At a minimum, it's been good to hear folks think she's decent. I was starting to wonder what I was missing.
0 x

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:05 pm

Different climate here, but lots of guys buy heavy bred or weigh cows in the fall to put on stalks or wheat.
They like to buy them pretty close to weigh price.
Spring time when the grass is green and spring fever hits cows bring a lot more
2 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:14 pm

Rehoming is for Hippies.
When I buy or sell cattle it's for business reasons.
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:11 pm

Son of Butch wrote:Rehoming is for Hippies.

just a turn of phrase. Our cows ain't pets, don't have any flowers in their hair. just hay. (and manure ;-)
0 x

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:39 pm

boondocks wrote:

just a turn of phrase. Our cows ain't pets, don't have any flowers in their hair. just hay. (and manure ;-)

That's the way I like my women too :D
0 x

Allenw
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Allenw » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:10 pm

I see it as a term used by animal rights activist, by using it one is helping to support and spread their agenda. Since they are against animal agriculture I question why one involved in raising cattle would use the term, or support it's use.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”