Postby skeeter swatter » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:45 pm

I tag calves so the cow knows which one is hers. :cowboy:
3 x

Highpoint
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Tagging new calves

Postby Highpoint » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:06 pm

Great stuff and explains a great deal and why the cow hand wanted them tagged sooner.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:28 pm

It surprises me most people listed record keeping ahead of proof of ownership.

Most everyone here puts there name and or phone . It's a huge benefit to simply call the owner of a stray or vice versa. We also brand anything that we retain.
If you have a animal leave on you. And whomevers property it ends up on can't locate the owner their only legal solution is to call the sheriff. Once that's done its under impound and you will be required to show proof of ownership.
If your name, number or brand is not there you better have a bill of sale. Identifying photo etc.
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:33 pm

LOL - if it's out of my fence, everyone KNOWS where they belong.
I don't think there is a beef animal within 2 miles of my farm. Not that that is very far. Just different areas have different problems. That is NOT one of mine.
Back to the color of my tags, it makes it a lot easier for potential buyers to walk through the herd and eyeball a calf, and whenever we are sorting, it sure is a lot easier for us.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

coachg
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby coachg » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:18 pm

Explain why you guys tag heifers in one ear and Bulls in the other ?
0 x
John 3:16 For God so loved the world...

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:22 pm

Son of Butch wrote:Bought a bred cow that ate snow for the better part of a week before figuring out the ball waterer.
Named her Dumbo. Then her first calf Dumbbell and the next Dim Wit.

Years ago a little neighbor girl had a nearly pure white holstein bull calf she named Snowball.
Then her brothers steered him and she changed his name to No Balls saying and its maiden name was Snowball.

We missed a nut banding a steer one year, named him One Nut. The vet castrated him, subsequently changing his name to No Nut. Our current bulls are Dick, Johnson & Rod. The implication is a little salty but can I still refer to them in polite company ;-)
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:31 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:LOL - if it's out of my fence, everyone KNOWS where they belong.
I don't think there is a beef animal within 2 miles of my farm. Not that that is very far. Just different areas have different problems. That is NOT one of mine.
Back to the color of my tags, it makes it a lot easier for potential buyers to walk through the herd and eyeball a calf, and whenever we are sorting, it sure is a lot easier for us.

Your right lol different areas have different problems. Anybody round here can tell a steer from a heifer without a tag..lol
0 x

David Crockett

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:34 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:LOL - if it's out of my fence, everyone KNOWS where they belong.

Each year the calves from the first calf heifers get a different/new color tag: I'll see your yellow & red tags and raise you green, blue, purple, orange, white and next year's calves get pink. After that I've run out of colors so I'll have to start over. But that way I can scan the pasture and see blue tag, right ear: I know it's a steer from a 2011 1st calf heifer. And I know how many steers/heifers I have out of each group so I don't have to walk up & inspect every tag when I'm taking inventory. 506B means it's Squeaker's 5th calf. Anal, much? :hide:
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:45 pm

coachg wrote:Explain why you guys tag heifers in one ear and Bulls in the other ?

Only because when we started out that's what our mentor told us to do and we've done it ever since. I have no clue why.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:49 pm

TCRanch wrote:
coachg wrote:Explain why you guys tag heifers in one ear and Bulls in the other ?

Only because when we started out that's what our mentor told us to do and we've done it ever since. I have no clue why.

So when we are sorting them we can tell at a glance which are heifers and which are bulls. Easiest way I know to do it.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:02 pm

dun wrote:
TCRanch wrote:

So when we are sorting them we can tell at a glance which are heifers and which are bulls. Easiest way I know to do it.

I can kinda see the logic.
I can't see the logic in not going ahead and writing your phone# on the tag.
0 x

David Crockett

VirginiaCattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby VirginiaCattle » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:08 pm

Around here you just pick a different color tthan your neighbors. There aren't a whole lot of people with cattle in my community that aren't family so it isn't so hard.
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:19 pm

Most times when cattle are loose the person finding them can't/won't/doesn't get close enough to see a phone number on an eartag. At least not around here. Color goes a long way because it seems most of us have just always had different colors; just a coincidence since no one has ever said I want white, you get red, joe gets green, etc.. Our adult cows have white or green and the calves don't matter so much since they are usually with the cows. One guy that borders one of our rented places has red and another has yellow so there is little discrepancy. If there are loose cattle we get called most every time, even when we stopped using a pasture, we will get called a year or two later. Kinda a joke but a real pain sometimes. Still, I always go check even when I am very sure they aren't ours, just in case I do know who they might belong to and hope that someone down the road will do the same favor for us.

A friend used to write the number of the dam on the tag, used all white and so he put heifers in one ear and bulls in the other ear so make sorting easier at a glance also. I tend to put the tags in the right ear and my son puts them in the left ear and we are both right handed but I usually have to straddle a calf in the field or even sit on it and am more coordinated with my right hand. He seems to be more comfortable putting it in the left ear when they go through the chute as it is the side that is more accessible.
0 x

VirginiaCattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby VirginiaCattle » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:17 pm

farmerjan wrote:Most times when cattle are loose the person finding them can't/won't/doesn't get close enough to see a phone number on an eartag. At least not around here. Color goes a long way because it seems most of us have just always had different colors; just a coincidence since no one has ever said I want white, you get red, joe gets green, etc.. Our adult cows have white or green and the calves don't matter so much since they are usually with the cows. One guy that borders one of our rented places has red and another has yellow so there is little discrepancy. If there are loose cattle we get called most every time, even when we stopped using a pasture, we will get called a year or two later. Kinda a joke but a real pain sometimes. Still, I always go check even when I am very sure they aren't ours, just in case I do know who they might belong to and hope that someone down the road will do the same favor for us.

A friend used to write the number of the dam on the tag, used all white and so he put heifers in one ear and bulls in the other ear so make sorting easier at a glance also. I tend to put the tags in the right ear and my son puts them in the left ear and we are both right handed but I usually have to straddle a calf in the field or even sit on it and am more coordinated with my right hand. He seems to be more comfortable putting it in the left ear when they go through the chute as it is the side that is more accessible.

I agree with most of what you say. Color among neighbors is the most important. Always check for your neighbor's cattle and hope they'll do the same.

I always put my tags in the left ear. If I'm being attacked or the calf rips their ear it'll end up right. I like the consistancy though.

This year I started putting different colored tags in males and females so when they are running straight on in the pen I can sort them.

I've gotten about 5% wrong in the rush to not be injured. I expect that to get better over timr.
0 x

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Till-Hill » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:29 pm

I've always done it for vet. Heifers get calfhood vac'd in right ear, steers get implants in left. No tag for vet to fight.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”