Tagging new calves

The place to start if you are new!
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Re: Tagging new calves

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:35 am

Till-Hill wrote:
coachg wrote:Explain why you guys tag heifers in one ear and Bulls in the other ?

I've always done it for vet. Heifers get calfhood vac'd in right ear, steers get implants in left. No tag for vet to fight.

We used to put a lot of steers & bulls on test. The facility added their own tags and preferred putting them in on the left side. We wanted our tags left in, so we put them in the right side.
Heifers - same reason for vet.
And yes, everyone can tell the diff between male & female, but when they are looking at you, it gets a little tough to determine sex by their eyeballs. Everyone that walks thru my herd appreciates the different colors. Just faster & easier.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Till-Hill » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:52 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Till-Hill wrote:
coachg wrote:Explain why you guys tag heifers in one ear and Bulls in the other ?

I've always done it for vet. Heifers get calfhood vac'd in right ear, steers get implants in left. No tag for vet to fight.

We used to put a lot of steers & bulls on test. The facility added their own tags and preferred putting them in on the left side. We wanted our tags left in, so we put them in the right side.
Heifers - same reason for vet.
And yes, everyone can tell the diff between male & female, but when they are looking at you, it gets a little tough to determine sex by their eyeballs. Everyone that walks thru my herd appreciates the different colors. Just faster & easier.

I should have added we also do a different color for males and females too. I have mostly part time free friend help with cows, makes sorting pairs a lot easier! And calf # matches it's dam!
2 x

redandblack
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby redandblack » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:39 pm

We put our phone#, our name, then a number that correlates back to the be nice, ex cow 1 calf would be 101 and so forth if they are replacements after back grounding they get a cow tag from 1-99 next number up kind of deal. Besides what others have said if you have numerous pastures and don't keep your whole herd together all year, it would be a wreck to pair calfs up when you bring 40-50 pairs in and sort to go to different pastures.
0 x

snoopdog
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby snoopdog » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:12 am

Heifers in the right ear, (why?, because women are always right , easy to remember for all), cow# and dob. Haven't done any in the field with my new herd, mommas ain't having it and I don't like pain. Maybe why the hired hand hasn't done it.
1 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Gators Rule
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Gators Rule » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:41 am

My PB Simmental cows are tagged with yellow tags, Simangus with pink, and commercial cows with orange, all in left ear. First letter of year, then mother's number l, followed by mothers year of birth. If mom was X35, her 2017 calf would be E35X, regardless if purebred or commercial.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:36 am

Highpoint wrote:My name should have been the caregiver instead high point We now have six calves and only three are tagged thanks to the cow hand. This is my first year and I have wondered why the tags. Right now it is impossible to tell who is exactly the mom of two of them because two nurse the same cow. Can you share with this newby why this is so important.

I'm hoping no question is too stupid.

You are a NEWBY and have a cowhand.. Must be nice I been fooling with cattle off and on all my life and still don't have a " cow hand " .
1 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:01 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
Highpoint wrote:My name should have been the caregiver instead high point We now have six calves and only three are tagged thanks to the cow hand. This is my first year and I have wondered why the tags. Right now it is impossible to tell who is exactly the mom of two of them because two nurse the same cow. Can you share with this newby why this is so important.

You are a NEWBY and have a cowhand.. Must be nice I been fooling with cattle off and on all my life and still don't have a " cow hand " .

Either you don't have enough cows or you need a better day job... :lol: ..... maybe quit messing with them hogs too.... :shock:
1 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:37 am

1982vett wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

Either you don't have enough cows or you need a better day job... :lol: ..... maybe quit messing with them hogs too.... :shock:

:tiphat: :clap:
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Highpoint
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Highpoint » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:49 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
1982vett wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

:tiphat: :clap:

I am really in charge of the accounting for construction company and set up books for trucking company that is now working out of state. 60 employees. My son a few years ago added the cattle. His ranch hand also does the welding for the company and yes you are absolutely correct that a ranch with this few of cattle would never produce income to pay without a niche market. No unlike me they are not into organics or anything close. Father-in-law has 5000 acres and has raised cattle for 45 years and most ranchers around here work together if someone needs to burn etc. it is fun to watch.

I am at an age that I am tired of seeing young boys drop dead of heart attacks and cancer of all kinds. I studied health for last 12 years and seen my daughter through stage 4 throat cancer no chemo and husband heart attack. You can drive around this county and 90 percent of the farmers have non Hoskins lymphoma or other cancers.

I have much to learn about cattle but the goal is to produce the healthiest then butcher for family and others if possible. I'll try to use the word helper next time but he is the one with the horse.
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:58 pm

Highpoint wrote:. You can drive around this county and 90 percent of the farmers have non Hoskins lymphoma or other cancers.

My brother-in-law had Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma of the stomach back in 2013. Was told he had a 20% chance of survival, so he went for it. He's still around to today, looks better than he did when he was diagnosed.

Where are you located? What state?
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Highpoint
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Highpoint » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:17 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:
Highpoint wrote:. You can drive around this county and 90 percent of the farmers have non Hoskins lymphoma or other cancers.

My brother-in-law had Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma of the stomach back in 2013. Was told he had a 20% chance of survival, so he went for it. He's still around to today, looks better than he did when he was diagnosed.

You may have seen the class action law suite against Monsanto about Non-Hodgkins lymphoma on tv especially for farmers. Roundup is glyphosate which means glyph ( sugar) sate (saturation). It is also a potent antibiotic.

We are in Kay county Oklahoma. We also have cotton which sprays 25 percent more pesticides legally. When I notice people feeding their cattle corn canola or cotton I wonder how the cattle stay well but realize too their are many glycans in grasses to help offset.

For your brother-a research Doctor Stephanie Seneff Senior Professor MIT proved cancer is oxidative and if your vitamin d level remains over 50 for eight weeks they cannot find cancer in most people or at least have not found anyone on test done dr mercola site. Vitamin d level is level of cholestrol sulfate which takes high good fat sulfur and zinc and is the rate cells regenerate. There is more to it but she has six videos on YouTube Good to hear he is doing good. Sunshine is vitamin d.

I think beef could be one of the healthiest items to eat one day.
1 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:34 pm

We're practically neighbors, I'm in Cowley County, KS just east of Winfield. Give me a holler if you're ever up this way!
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:57 pm

Highpoint wrote:
Workinonit Farm wrote:

You may have seen the class action law suite against Monsanto about Non-Hodgkins lymphoma on tv especially for farmers. Roundup is glyphosate which means glyph ( sugar) sate (saturation). It is also a potent antibiotic.

We are in Kay county Oklahoma. We also have cotton which sprays 25 percent more pesticides legally. When I notice people feeding their cattle corn canola or cotton I wonder how the cattle stay well but realize too their are many glycans in grasses to help offset.

For your brother-a research Doctor Stephanie Seneff Senior Professor MIT proved cancer is oxidative and if your vitamin d level remains over 50 for eight weeks they cannot find cancer in most people or at least have not found anyone on test done dr mercola site. Vitamin d level is level of cholestrol sulfate which takes high good fat sulfur and zinc and is the rate cells regenerate. There is more to it but she has six videos on YouTube Good to hear he is doing good. Sunshine is vitamin d.

I think beef could be one of the healthiest items to eat one day.

Thank you for the info. :)
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Highpoint
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Highpoint » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:00 pm

TCRanch wrote:We're practically neighbors, I'm in Cowley County, KS just east of Winfield. Give me a holler if you're ever up this way!

We go to Winfield on Sunday's to eat out. We are east of newkirk 4 miles backed up to lake with some of land. Really close.

I imagine you need some rain like we do here. I am the tester for a friend on new product. I created a very simple site at http:// http://www.highpointcompany.com. The thing about agriculture is you spray wait take pictures record changes ect.

I really would like to find grain that is non-gmo as I am not convinced grass fed is the healthiest. There is suppose to be one in haven but have not found source yet. One of the grains I would like is flax as high in Omega 3 and does a beautiful job of marbling some say. Won't bore you but thanks for the invite.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:39 pm

Here is a study done at Texas A&M - comparing grass fed ground beef vs grain fed:
https://animalscience.tamu.edu/2013/12/ ... it-matter/
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Return to “Beginners Board”