Working cattle - how not to get kicked

The place to start if you are new!
NonTypicalCPA
Cowhand
Cowhand

Working cattle - how not to get kicked

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:34 pm

I'm a couple years into a very small beltie herd, and thankfully haven't had to run them through the chute much. But I've got a couple to preg check and I want to take a blood sample. I've watched a few videos of the draw and the guy is standing behind the cow. Can't cattle kick straight back? I just want to put myself in the best place possible to avoid getting kicked.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Working cattle - how not to get kicked

Postby dun » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:37 pm

Your gonna have to stand behind them sometime, might as well get it out of the way early on.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:39 pm

They can kick more ways than most people think. I saw a YouTube of a guy approaching a down cow. He apparently didn't know a cow can kick while laying on her side. The end of the clip was a devastating kick to the face!
0 x

NonTypicalCPA
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:45 pm

I've had horses and quickly learned where not to stand if you're going to pizz them off. Just curious on cattle. So it sounds like it's a toss up where you stand. With all the things you do to the back end of a cow, I can't believe they don't always kick the living sh.t out of you every time you work them.
Last edited by NonTypicalCPA on Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:46 pm

I like to stick a pipe in behind the cow. A cow can't or doesn't seem to kick much when you have your arm in them. If you have someone lift up hard on the tail a cow doesn't seem to kick as bad either.
3 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:51 pm

My cows are docile but they still are cows. If you surprise them, they will defend their space. I have been kicked a couple times. Just love taps. Got my worse kicks from bartering calves.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:01 pm

NonTypicalCPA wrote:I've had horses and quickly learned where not to stand if you're going to pizz them off. Just curious on cattle. So it sounds like it's a toss up where you stand. With all the things you do to the back end of a cow, I can't believe they don't always kick the living sh.t out of you every time you work them.
horses vision is limited, compared to cows,, with their eye set,they can be accurate alway to the rear side...on a cow you can put a rope around their flank behind the udder and cinch it tight will stop em...or have someone pull their tail straight up and foward in line with the back bone and hold it tight...
Last edited by ALACOWMAN on Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:01 pm

Full on AI, is about all I get behind one in the chute for. You should be able to draw blood from the side.
1 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:04 pm

Not a word of a lie, we were butchering a cow, .22 to the X, cut throat, bled out, guy who bought it for meat was making the cut along the belly when he hit a nerve, she kicked him square in the nuts... pretty good aim for a dead cow!
3 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Katpau
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Katpau » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:27 pm

A cow kicks by lifting her foot up underneath her and then swinging it in a rapid arc from front to rear. A calf and some cows will accompany this with a quick hop in the air and that kick is so quick you won't see it coming. The most dangerous spot to be is slightly off to their side toward the back or behind them. I have never been kicked while directly behind one who is caught in the squeeze chute. Most chutes have solid panels down low, so when a cow attempts to kick, her foot will first come in contact with that panel, making it impossible to complete the swing around to the back. Even if she could, the squeeze chute prevents her from moving her rear end to the side where she can get an angle on you. When you are directly behind the cow you should be safe from being kicked. Someone may have found an athletic cow capable of that, but I have never seen one.
0 x

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:35 pm

OK, you hardcore types maybe this is something 2nd nature to you. It is a good question, and I would like to hear advice on it.

I been at cows now almost a year and kicked twice now, and I didn't like it too much.
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:39 pm

HDRider wrote:OK, you hardcore types maybe this is something 2nd nature to you. It is a good question, and I would like to hear advice on it.

I been at cows now almost a year and kicked twice now, and I didn't like it too much.

Blood clots happen often with a kick...
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:43 pm

Nesikep wrote:Not a word of a lie, we were butchering a cow, .22 to the X, cut throat, bled out, guy who bought it for meat was making the cut along the belly when he hit a nerve, she kicked him square in the nuts... pretty good aim for a dead cow!
stockyard employee a few years back, took a direct hit to the marble bag.. Running a cow off a stock trailer..he was waiting on someone to take him to the hospital when I saw him..sweat beads as big a golf balls on his forehead...
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:43 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:I like to stick a pipe in behind the cow. A cow can't or doesn't seem to kick much when you have your arm in them. If you have someone lift up hard on the tail a cow doesn't seem to kick as bad either.

About the only time I'm right behind one in the chute is if I'm pulling a calf. I use the pipe but take it out once the actual pulling starts in case she goes down.
We cut steers pretty big. I use a nylon strap with a loop to tie off the near leg.
Had about a 400 pound calf a couple days ago pressing him in the alley he did some kinda ninja flip off the pipe fence. He was in front of me and somehow I got kicked right between the shoulder blades. A few inches higher and either direction he would've got me behind the ear.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:46 pm

callmefence wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:I like to stick a pipe in behind the cow. A cow can't or doesn't seem to kick much when you have your arm in them. If you have someone lift up hard on the tail a cow doesn't seem to kick as bad either.

About the only time I'm right behind one in the chute is if I'm pulling a calf. I use the pipe but take it out once the actual pulling starts in case she goes down.
We cut steers pretty big. I use a nylon strap with a loop to tie off the near leg.
Had about a 400 pound calf a couple days ago pressing him in the alley he did some kinda ninja flip off the pipe fence. He was in front of me and somehow I got kicked right between the shoulder blades. A few inches higher and either direction--- he would've got me behind the ear.
sounds like it had true grit tendencies
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”