Stockpiling

The place to start if you are new!
User avatar
snoopdog
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 161
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:16 am
Location: ne oklahoma

Re: Stockpiling

Postby snoopdog » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:58 pm

I can echo everything that's been posted , exactly ,why I aquired my own hay equipment . We have "good guys " in the hay business here also, and their word IS good, but your hay isn't by the time they get to it. Ive always enjoyed hay season even when I hit my thumb with a hammer , so I say "nuts". Only a few will get that , it's ok.
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

chevytaHOE5674
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 385
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Western UP, Mi

Re: Stockpiling

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:44 pm

All the hate for the custom hay guy.... reaffirms my decision to start dropping the needy/demanding customers.

When you have lots of customers and lots of hay acres to make and mother nature gives you exactly 3 separate 3 day windows all season (we had almost 90 inches of rain in June, July, August and our only 90 degree day came last week and from the sounds of it boondocks weather wasn't much better) there is only so much you can do, even just trying to make your own hay. For me after this year all the guys that whined about their hay got told that next year they can find somebody else, the ones that were understanding about mother nature got bumped up the list.
0 x

M.Magis
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1463
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:29 pm
Location: Cambridge, Ohio

Re: Stockpiling

Postby M.Magis » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:10 pm

chevytaHOE5674 wrote:All the hate for the custom hay guy.... reaffirms my decision to start dropping the needy/demanding customers.

When you have lots of customers and lots of hay acres to make and mother nature gives you exactly 3 separate 3 day windows all season (we had almost 90 inches of rain in June, July, August and our only 90 degree day came last week and from the sounds of it boondocks weather wasn't much better) there is only so much you can do, even just trying to make your own hay. For me after this year all the guys that whined about their hay got told that next year they can find somebody else, the ones that were understanding about mother nature got bumped up the list.


Pretty sure the complaint came from the hay guy repeatedly saying he’d still get to it, but not following through. If a person is going to run any sort of business, they have to be up front and honest. Broken promises never go over well.
1 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1941
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 2:22 pm
Location: Upstate NY

Re: Stockpiling

Postby boondocks » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:36 pm

M.Magis wrote:
chevytaHOE5674 wrote:All the hate for the custom hay guy.... reaffirms my decision to start dropping the needy/demanding customers.

When you have lots of customers and lots of hay acres to make and mother nature gives you exactly 3 separate 3 day windows all season (we had almost 90 inches of rain in June, July, August and our only 90 degree day came last week and from the sounds of it boondocks weather wasn't much better) there is only so much you can do, even just trying to make your own hay. For me after this year all the guys that whined about their hay got told that next year they can find somebody else, the ones that were understanding about mother nature got bumped up the list.


Pretty sure the complaint came from the hay guy repeatedly saying he’d still get to it, but not following through. If a person is going to run any sort of business, they have to be up front and honest. Broken promises never go over well.


Yeah, we give him 2/3 of the hay for baling it. We gave him the benefit of the doubt until July, since it had been rainy. The last 2 months, though, we have had several prolonged dry spells, especially the past month. We are almost in the reverse situation now, everything dry as a bone. No rain in a few weeks. And he still hasn't come to do the FIRST CUTTING as of Sept. 29, despite repeated promises. He's baled second cutting elsewhere. I doubt you treat your customers that way, chevy. Still, I don't "blame" him per se. Just reminds me that the only person you can rely on is yourself. IF that! :lol:
1 x

User avatar
sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3850
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:17 pm
Location: Southern IL
Contact:

Re: Stockpiling

Postby sim.-ang.king » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:40 pm

2/3 is lot for these parts. If it's on your land it's usually on the half's.
0 x
Red Bull Breeder wrote:So Queenie works ok now?

User avatar
dun
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 46738
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:34 am
Location: MO Ozarks

Re: Stockpiling

Postby dun » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:51 pm

M.Magis wrote:
chevytaHOE5674 wrote:All the hate for the custom hay guy.... reaffirms my decision to start dropping the needy/demanding customers.

When you have lots of customers and lots of hay acres to make and mother nature gives you exactly 3 separate 3 day windows all season (we had almost 90 inches of rain in June, July, August and our only 90 degree day came last week and from the sounds of it boondocks weather wasn't much better) there is only so much you can do, even just trying to make your own hay. For me after this year all the guys that whined about their hay got told that next year they can find somebody else, the ones that were understanding about mother nature got bumped up the list.


Pretty sure the complaint came from the hay guy repeatedly saying he’d still get to it, but not following through. If a person is going to run any sort of business, they have to be up front and honest. Broken promises never go over well.

Pretty well sums it up.
1 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

boondocks
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1941
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 2:22 pm
Location: Upstate NY

Re: Stockpiling

Postby boondocks » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:56 pm

sim.-ang.king wrote:2/3 is lot for these parts. If it's on your land it's usually on the half's.


Yes. We've bent over backwards to be fair, I think...
Looking for a retired farmer around here to show us the haying ropes a little. Hubs is very mechanical but I'm hopeless, and some of it will fall to me due to schedules. I can hardly run a string trimmer. (Can't ever get a 2stroke started). Me and equipment don't get along well, even though I do try. Have been doing all the brush hogging this summer but I have lousy depth perception and eye-hand coordination.
Stay tuned.... :lol:
0 x

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14173
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: Stockpiling

Postby greybeard » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:14 pm

dun wrote:
M.Magis wrote:
chevytaHOE5674 wrote:All the hate for the custom hay guy.... reaffirms my decision to start dropping the needy/demanding customers.

When you have lots of customers and lots of hay acres to make and mother nature gives you exactly 3 separate 3 day windows all season (we had almost 90 inches of rain in June, July, August and our only 90 degree day came last week and from the sounds of it boondocks weather wasn't much better) there is only so much you can do, even just trying to make your own hay. For me after this year all the guys that whined about their hay got told that next year they can find somebody else, the ones that were understanding about mother nature got bumped up the list.


Pretty sure the complaint came from the hay guy repeatedly saying he’d still get to it, but not following through. If a person is going to run any sort of business, they have to be up front and honest. Broken promises never go over well.

Pretty well sums it up.

The road to ruin is paved with good intentions.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

chevytaHOE5674
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 385
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Western UP, Mi

Re: Stockpiling

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:59 am

I'll agree you shouldn't make false promises and I never promise anybody anything when you have to deal with mother nature. I told about 200 acres worth of loyal customers that I was sorry and mother nature won and I couldn't get their hay made, also have close to 200 acres of $$$/bale leased ground that I paid the landowner based on the last 3 years of average production and the hay will remain standing, then a 150 acres worth I told the landowners to find somebody else (albeit I told them in early August after they called me non stop about their hay when they knew we were getting 10+" of rain a week at times).

Having said that if it was me and I was baling on shares you can bet I would be out baling nice second crop over a field of late 1st with golden rod in it for sure. A 2/3 share of a field with weeds isn't worth much to the producer unfortunately (round here golden rod is present by late June or early July if it isn't spray and controlled early on, if just gets "golden" about now).

Any who that's the last I'll say about it, since I don't know this producers situation. Just know how hard it can be being "the hay guy".
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1941
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 2:22 pm
Location: Upstate NY

Re: Stockpiling

Postby boondocks » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:45 am

chevytaHOE5674 wrote:I'll agree you shouldn't make false promises and I never promise anybody anything when you have to deal with mother nature. I told about 200 acres worth of loyal customers that I was sorry and mother nature won and I couldn't get their hay made, also have close to 200 acres of $$$/bale leased ground that I paid the landowner based on the last 3 years of average production and the hay will remain standing, then a 150 acres worth I told the landowners to find somebody else (albeit I told them in early August after they called me non stop about their hay when they knew we were getting 10+" of rain a week at times).

Having said that if it was me and I was baling on shares you can bet I would be out baling nice second crop over a field of late 1st with golden rod in it for sure. A 2/3 share of a field with weeds isn't worth much to the producer unfortunately (round here golden rod is present by late June or early July if it isn't spray and controlled early on, if just gets "golden" about now).

Any who that's the last I'll say about it, since I don't know this producers situation. Just know how hard it can be being "the hay guy".


Understood. I note that in your (bolded) case, you did pay the landowner for the average production, even though you didn't get to it. (Am I reading that right?).
In our case, it's kinda the worst of all worlds: no money for rent, no hay, and still have to get the mess cleared up so it doesn't hose us up for spring. But, whatcha gonna do. Suck it up and move on. Still first world problems.
0 x

chevytaHOE5674
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 385
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Western UP, Mi

Re: Stockpiling

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:17 am

Yeah I pay the landowner for the hay I didn't get to make (great hay (IE its October and here is still zero weeds and would make great feed) and don't want to risk loosing the ground in the future). The hay will stay standing over winter and the 20 feet of snowfall will mash it down and it will rot away, and next summer it will be no big deal.

But I also left 200 Acres of customers with standing hay and zero payment/zero hay just like your case. In the hay business you will learn sometimes things are out of your control.
0 x

User avatar
dun
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 46738
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:34 am
Location: MO Ozarks

Re: Stockpiling

Postby dun » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:38 pm

They guy that was supposed to combine our fescue seed kept saying I'll be there in a couple of days. Always had what sounded like legitimate excuses. Turned out he was combining for a bunch of other people. Didn;t find that out till it was too late for our seed.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

User avatar
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 23322
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: Stockpiling

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:42 pm

dun wrote:They guy that was supposed to combine our fescue seed kept saying I'll be there in a couple of days. Always had what sounded like legitimate excuses. Turned out he was combining for a bunch of other people. Didn;t find that out till it was too late for our seed.


Makes you want to choke him doesn't it?!?!

I used to buy from a guy and I'd place my order up front so whenever he passed my place he could just dump the hay rather than carrying it to his barn. I'd pay as it came in. Even let him use my equipment to save him trouble. A drought came along and he said he had me and another guy covered since we were his core clients. Between us we bought 800 rolls from him. No hay showed up and the drought had made hay prices increase substantially. He then told me he didn't have any hay to sell but because the drought had just done him in. I asked my wife to call him and ask if she could buy some hay from him. He didn't know her nor her number and he told her he had plenty to sell but it would be $10/roll more than I had traded with him on. That is the moment I got in the hay business but I learned real fast everyone isn't like me and that I didn't need to be in the hay business unless I wanted to go to prison for killing someone so I stopped selling to the public.

Chevytahoe, I've only got about a year of hay business experience under my belt but if half your customers were similar to mine I don't know how you do it. Another thing I don't understand, and maybe you can answer this for me, how in the heck does someone all of a sudden run out of hay on Sunday? It seemed to always be Sunday and it was always an emergency. Know what I mean?
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

chevytaHOE5674
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 385
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Western UP, Mi

Re: Stockpiling

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:34 pm

How I deal with problem customers is by increasing my cattle herd so that I don't have hay to sell. hahaha. The cattle auction sends me a check promptly without excuses. I have a few core customers that don't complain and always pay, everybody else has to come inspect the hay in the field or at my place and pay for it before it gets loaded to go anywhere. If they complain or balk at the price I just tell them "thanks for looking but my cattle will enjoy it".

As for people "running out" it's always a Sunday or a Holiday and always a blizzard and -20*. For those occasions my price increases dramatically to discourage it. And for small orders I have a minimum "starting the tractor" charge.
0 x

User avatar
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 23322
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: Stockpiling

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:10 pm

chevytaHOE5674 wrote:As for people "running out" it's always a Sunday or a Holiday and always a blizzard and -20*. For those occasions my price increases dramatically to discourage it. And for small orders I have a minimum "starting the tractor" charge.


Don't blame you a bit. I suspect that keeps your sane. I can't stand tire kickers. Waste of your time and time is money.

I now grow just what I need although I will help a someone out from time but there is no need to call me on Sunday or some holiday claiming you just ran out of hay and need some immediately because I'm not going to make your problem mine.
1 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.


Return to “Beginners Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests