Stockpiling

The place to start if you are new!
dun
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Stockpiling

Postby dun » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:16 pm

Ratherr then keep looking for a tedder, just consider raking it and extra time. Without rain that's what we did before we got a tedder.
1 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:25 pm

There’s a lot of fields here not put up until Sept and full of goldenrod. Obviously its not the best, but there’s still some good grass in there.
I’ve never once used a tedder. Its on my list for next year, but its not essential. Though it would be great for drying Sept hay. Like Dun said, I just rake it a couple times
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:15 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:
boondocks wrote:quote="Workinonit Farm"]boondocks, have you all had a chance to get any of your "new" hay equipment running yet? Tried any of it out?

We are working on getting everything greased up and checked out. And reading manuals :lol:
Still looking for a used tedder. So far we find ones that are essentially scrap metal, or are nicer but about the cost of new, or are far too big.
We still have hay that's never been cut. We've finally gotten a long spell of dry weather but "our" hay guy just used the window to cut his own second cutting while our "first" (or whatever you'd now call the mess) is still in the field. :cry2: It may just have to be brush hogged. Looks like a lot of goldenrod. We just had that field reseeded last year so am not happy. If he'd just bailed on us (no pun intended) upfront, it would have been better...Kept believing him because everyone says he's a "good guy" and will stand by his word.

Sorry to hear. As for a tetter, you could get by without it, if you've got a decent rake. That would help.

I'm wondering just how much good grass may still be in that field, hidden amongst the Goldenrod. You could give it a try, maybe.
[/quote]
When he cut the rest of it late, the first growth had died back and there was a bit of grass in it so it's not great but usable.
I'm hoping on the field that hasn't been cut at all, if we let the goldenrod dry out a bit it might help? I'm worried about spreading it or baling it, they usually don't eat it
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:17 pm

dun wrote:Ratherr then keep looking for a tedder, just consider raking it and extra time. Without rain that's what we did before we got a tedder.

Thanks Dun! We have a window coming up Sun-Wed I think. Gonna twist his arm. HARD. If that doesn't work, we may have to do it ourselves.
I assume that it's better to cut and bale it (if there's anything usable at all) than brush hog it, in terms of field "health" for next year? It's a mess....
2 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:08 am

Yeah, cut and bale will make next year alot easier for you. The matting of the bushhogged stuff will not rot down into the soil fast enough, and it will be a pain to cut and have all that clogging up the mower. It doesn't cause as much problems for the discbine, but you do have to drop to a slower gear but keeping the rpm's up.
We got a tedder a couple years ago when we weren't getting anything made due to the constant showers. But still, many times I will just rake a second time, catching the row just enough to get it to flip over so the "bottom" is up and the hay is over enough to get it on "dry" ground. It will get it to fluff a bit and air will go through it to help dry it.
Any weeds, goldenrod, whatever, will add organic matter back into the soil where you feed and you can kill the new growth. It is probably going to cause some new growth next year but with your own equipment, if you keep it cut before it gets mature, it will weaken it to some extent. There has been several books over the years talking about weeds and their preferences, and low calcium in the soil is often one of them t
1 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:59 am

The only variation I would suggest is you cut it a little taller then normal. Around here most of the folks almost scalp the fields when they bale. We cut ours about 3-4 inches long. Sure makes a difference when it comes to growing back. And since it's late in the year I would want as much growth as possible to protect the root system as possible.
2 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:34 am

farmerjan wrote:Yeah, cut and bale will make next year alot easier for you. The matting of the bushhogged stuff will not rot down into the soil fast enough, and it will be a pain to cut and have all that clogging up the mower. It doesn't cause as much problems for the discbine, but you do have to drop to a slower gear but keeping the rpm's up.
We got a tedder a couple years ago when we weren't getting anything made due to the constant showers. But still, many times I will just rake a second time, catching the row just enough to get it to flip over so the "bottom" is up and the hay is over enough to get it on "dry" ground. It will get it to fluff a bit and air will go through it to help dry it.
Any weeds, goldenrod, whatever, will add organic matter back into the soil where you feed and you can kill the new growth. It is probably going to cause some new growth next year but with your own equipment, if you keep it cut before it gets mature, it will weaken it to some extent. There has been several books over the years talking about weeds and their preferences, and low calcium in the soil is often one of them t

Thank you, this is very helpful! We are such newbies to haying I'm quite worried we will really hose something up (or get hurt, frankly)
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:38 am

dun wrote:The only variation I would suggest is you cut it a little taller then normal. Around here most of the folks almost scalp the fields when they bale. We cut ours about 3-4 inches long. Sure makes a difference when it comes to growing back. And since it's late in the year I would want as much growth as possible to protect the root system as possible.

good point, thanks Dun! We had a long August cold snap (sweatshirts!). Then we've just gotten our week or two of summer finally (it's been in the 80s and 90s) then today temp dropped 20 degrees and it's dropping into 30s at night. Whiplash!

I'm going to try to pin down our hay guy to get it baled next week but if he won't commit, we may have no choice but to give it a go ourselves. Fools rush in where angels fear to tread and all that!
1 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:56 am

Only way to learn how is to do it. I would say screw "your guy" and do it yourselves. He's already shown his priorities and reliability.
1 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:21 am

dun wrote:Only way to learn how is to do it. I would say screw "your guy" and do it yourselves. He's already shown his priorities and reliability.

My sentiments exactly!! You're going to have to start sometime, why not start now? I would give it a go. There's no time like the present.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:26 am

Workinonit Farm wrote:
dun wrote:Only way to learn how is to do it. I would say screw "your guy" and do it yourselves. He's already shown his priorities and reliability.

My sentiments exactly!! You're going to have to start sometime, why not start now? I would give it a go. There's no time like the present.

Yup, if you're gonna screw it up (don;t really see how) you might as well do it with less then top quality hay. If it all goes sideways consider it part of the tuition and a valuable lesson for next year.
1 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:28 am

dun wrote:
Workinonit Farm wrote:

Yup, if you're gonna screw it up (don;t really see how) you might as well do it with less then top quality hay. If it all goes sideways consider it part of the tuition and a valuable lesson for next year.

:nod: :nod: :nod:
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:03 am

How long to you have to pay tuition before you graduate? :dunce:
0 x
Stocker Steve

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:14 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:How long to you have to pay tuition before you graduate? :dunce:

Until the day you sell everything.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:32 pm

M.Magis wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:How long to you have to pay tuition before you graduate? :dunce:

Until the day you sell everything.

That pretty well sums it up. Just that with good fortune the tuition bill goes down year to year
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”