weaning calves

The place to start if you are new!
pawpaw
Beginner
Beginner

weaning calves

Postby pawpaw » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:25 am

I have to wean 3 calves this year. 2 heifers and 1 bull calf. All 3 calves will be on separate farms than their mothers. How long do I need to keep them in the barn before they won't run off looking for their mothers? The 2 heifers will be separated from their mothers until next spring. Thanks.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Re: weaning calves

Postby TCRanch » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:54 pm

When we wean the fall calves in the barn we keep them there a week, max, before moving them to another pasture. Make sure you have secure gates/fences/hot wire, etc. Mama's & calves should stop bawling within a few days. The bigger problem you have is a bull calf with 2 heifers, who can most definitely be bred. I would suggest castrating, separating or selling the bull calf and giving each heifer a shot of Lutalyse no earlier than 14 days after they've been completely separated from the bull calf (or any bull).
0 x

snoopdog
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby snoopdog » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:29 pm

Definitely need to separate the bull, or separate him from his valuables . You didn't say how mature they are, the females , if they aren't cycling I wouldn't worry with the lut, I would be more worried about respiratory illnesses , weaning them in a barn. With that said , about a week, make sure they have hay free choice and grain em a small amount twice a day.
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:57 pm

If they can't hear their mothers, and if they've settled down and are eating feed, 5 - 6 days. I usually wean on Saturday and then turn them out on Thursday evening, but that's just opening the gate and letting them walk out on their own. If I was moving them I'd wait longer.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

pawpaw
Beginner
Beginner

Postby pawpaw » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:20 pm

Thanks for the replies. The heifers and bull will not be together until next June or so. The bull is going to be kept for breeding next spring (hopefully). It was purchased from a friend of mine. I have already sold my previous bull. The heifers are currently 7 months and bull is about 5 months. All between 500 600lbs.

I was thinking 3 days or a week max. Some people have told me 3 weeks. Some have also told me they let the cows wean them. I have never kept any heifers before and don't plan to make it a habit. I just wanted to keep something out of the bull I sold because I liked him.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”