Buyer fee

The place to start if you are new!
pricefarm
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Buyer fee

Postby pricefarm » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:34 pm

Between working a full time job farming and keeping up with my rental houses I don't have a lot of free time. To buy say 50 calves of what Iam looking for could take several days of going to the market. I don't have time for that. I understand that it's a investment of my money but theres more money to be made with my other interests. I was just wondering what was a fair rate to pay someone to buy for me possibly someone with more knowledge than me about buying calves from the market.
0 x

snoopdog
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby snoopdog » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:16 am

You can also talk to the barn ahead of time and see if they have a group llike that coming in , they will usually take a bid if you can't be there on a group of that size.
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Cada22
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Cada22 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:40 am

We trade with our buyer for $10 per head whether it is 1 or 100.
0 x

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:27 am

the most important issue to me would be someone whom I could trust and you do not find that in a quick interview process.

everyone hanging around a stockyard is looking to turn a dollar.

I am with Sky....I can look in the mirror to find the guy responsible...
0 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

RScott
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby RScott » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:50 am

Son of Butch wrote:Some guys prefer to do everything themselves.
Would you object to investing in a mutual fund just because you are not the one picking each individual stock in it?
To each their own.

There is a direct correlation between ability to utilize all available resources and scale. Nothing wrong with it, but inability or decision not to use other resources limits scalability. Can be happy either way, I guess.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:15 pm

I like buying my own cattle. I generally spend a day a week sitting through a sale. But if I'm honest with myself I'd be money ahead paying someone 1 percent to do it while I went to work. I bet that's true for the majority here.
1 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:00 pm

callmefence wrote:I like buying my own cattle. I generally spend a day a week sitting through a sale. But if I'm honest with myself I'd be money ahead paying someone 1 percent to do it while I went to work. I bet that's true for the majority here.

if you can not do what you enjoy with the cattle........
then why own them....
why pay someone else do do what you enjoy?

In my doterage I have decided to live every day enjoying life....gonna ride my horse more and worry less.
0 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

pricefarm
Rancher
Rancher

Postby pricefarm » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:48 pm

pdfangus wrote:
callmefence wrote:I like buying my own cattle. I generally spend a day a week sitting through a sale. But if I'm honest with myself I'd be money ahead paying someone 1 percent to do it while I went to work. I bet that's true for the majority here.

if you can not do what you enjoy with the cattle........
then why own them....
why pay someone else do do what you enjoy?

In my doterage I have decided to live every day enjoying life....gonna ride my horse more and worry less.

I do enjoy cattle if I didn't I wouldn't be doing it. But I don't like seating through a sale all day for multiple days at a time trying to buy up enough calves. I do like going to the stock yard and watching them sale for a couple hours but not all day.
1 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:54 pm

i've sat around many buyers and they do seem to be looking for the best cattle.

I'd say they are worth it.
1 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:05 pm

I think it depends on what the animals are for.. If you want to get stockers, etc that you're going to put some weight on, Order buyers REALLY know that part of the trade and can get you what you want.

If you're looking for replacement cows and heifers, then that's where you have to make the decision because you're not getting rid of them in a few months, you'll be looking at them and their offspring for years.
2 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

pricefarm
Rancher
Rancher

Postby pricefarm » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:38 am

Nesikep wrote:I think it depends on what the animals are for.. If you want to get stockers, etc that you're going to put some weight on, Order buyers REALLY know that part of the trade and can get you what you want.

If you're looking for replacement cows and heifers, then that's where you have to make the decision because you're not getting rid of them in a few months, you'll be looking at them and their offspring for years.

Yes I agree with you on that. Iam looking to buy stockers.
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:09 am

pricefarm wrote:
Nesikep wrote:I think it depends on what the animals are for.. If you want to get stockers, etc that you're going to put some weight on, Order buyers REALLY know that part of the trade and can get you what you want.

Yes I agree with you on that. Iam looking to buy stockers.

It's easier to please people buying calves than cows for them. $5 a head should get them bought and another $5-10 per head to haul them home depending on distance.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:54 pm

snoopdog wrote:You can also talk to the barn ahead of time and see if they have a group llike that coming in , they will usually take a bid if you can't be there on a group of that size.
only problem with that is,they work off commission,,,so the more of your money they spend the more they put in the kitty....
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

snoopdog
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby snoopdog » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:41 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
snoopdog wrote:You can also talk to the barn ahead of time and see if they have a group llike that coming in , they will usually take a bid if you can't be there on a group of that size.
only problem with that is,they work off commission,,,so the more of your money they spend the more they put in the kitty....
True , but ethical barns and experienced auctioneers know what the calves will bring and set them in accordingly , an extra .005 buys them .
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:29 pm

Sadly,, Not every one at these stockyards have ethics..its sorta like the car business..you know the ones you can trust..about any business as far as that goes,that pays on commission..the hourly don't care if you buy are not..their there from sunup to payday....
1 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Return to “Beginners Board”