Buyer fee

The place to start if you are new!
pricefarm
Rancher
Rancher

Buyer fee

Postby pricefarm » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:47 pm

What is the going rate to have a buyer buy calves for you at the stockyard? I never have the time to go and seat through the sales.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Buyer fee

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:58 pm

pricefarm wrote:What is the going rate to have a buyer buy calves for you at the stockyard? I never have the time to go and seat through the sales.

I am my own buyer if it something I want I make time. I want to pick my own cattle for success and or failure so I know who to blame. Get off that paid time off and go to a sale here and there. You wouldn't pay someone to buy your house or truck for you. I look at cattle as an investment and I want to see everything up front. Yes I am weird but thats how I am.
1 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:23 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
pricefarm wrote:What is the going rate to have a buyer buy calves for you at the stockyard?
I never have the time to go and seat through the sales.

I am my own buyer if it something I want I make time.
I want to pick my own cattle for success and or failure so I know who to blame.
You wouldn't pay someone to buy your house or truck for you.

Poor analogy as a home is very personal, but yes on condition of final approval before purchase is not unreasonable.

IF you want to be a micro manager fine, but hiring others (ie a buyer) and delegating can be more cost effective.
An individual's time might be more valuable elsewhere. Not all owners are good judges of cattle or value.
Being a control freak isn't always the best option.

I've never hired a buyer, the complaints I've heard from those that have is buyer always seems to spend to the limit
of the top price authorized when sale reports seem to indicate better buys were available.
Last edited by Son of Butch on Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:31 pm

Son of Butch wrote:I've never hired a buyer, the complaints I've heard from those that have is buyer always seems to spend to the limit
of the top price authorized when sale reports seem to indicate better buys were available.

That could be because they are looking for the best animal and not the best deal. Where you might buy one that's not as nice for less you know how much lower your willing to let your standards go for a good deal.
1 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:36 pm

Craig Miller wrote:
Son of Butch wrote:I've never hired a buyer, the complaints I've heard from those that have is buyer always seems to spend to the limit

That could be because they are looking for the best animal and not the best deal. Where you might buy one that's not as nice for less you know how much lower your willing to let your standards go for a good deal.

Yes and when reading sale reports you never know if one bid over would have gotten that lot bought or not.
It kind of comes down to how much trust do you have in the individual you're doing business with or hiring.
2 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:58 pm

Here there's always older men ,,Aka,,,loafers,that haunt the stockyards...if they know what their doing..most will do it for nothing.. Just to have something to do..their going to be there anyway.
1 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:04 pm

I have a situation coming up in the spring where I'd gladly pay a reasonable fee for someone with the right eye to pick out the best heifer from the lot. I'm first on the farm's list to pick and I'm told there are some really great heifers to choose from. In my case I'm just not positive I can pick the best one from the group and that's the one I want.
1 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:21 pm

Going rate here is 1% of total value. So if you spend 100k on cattle, you'll pay the buyer 1k for buying them. That is for order buyer with 30 years experience that buys nearly every day of the week.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

BC
GURU
GURU

Postby BC » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:36 pm

Son of Butch wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
pricefarm wrote:What is the going rate to have a buyer buy calves for you at the stockyard?

Poor analogy as a home is very personal, but yes on condition of final approval before purchase is not unreasonable.

IF you want to be a micro manager fine, but hiring others (ie a buyer) and delegating can be more cost effective.
An individual's time might be more valuable elsewhere. Not all owners are good judges of cattle or value.
Being a control freak isn't always the best option.

I've never hired a buyer, the complaints I've heard from those that have is buyer always seems to spend to the limit

Most market reports are pulled off a computer generated report that quotes the high, low and average for each 100 lb. weight. The barns around here will quote a range that is around the average on the bottom side and make sure it includes the top selling animal.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:25 pm

Son of Butch wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

Poor analogy as a home is very personal,

Any time I spend my money its personal no matter if on a bottle of soda because it didn't come easy... Especially on an investment I could take my time to look over before spending my money.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:39 pm

Some guys prefer to do everything themselves.
Would you object to investing in a mutual fund just because you are not the one picking each individual stock in it?
To each their own.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:49 pm

We have a guy locally who "buys" for free, but often they are cattle he previously purchased...

Got some not so great calves once that were under my max price but a poor value. My buyer said yaaa, but they were my (the buyers) neighbors calves...

And so on
0 x
Stocker Steve

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:50 pm

Son of Butch wrote:Some guys prefer to do everything themselves.
Would you object to investing in a mutual fund just because you are not the one picking each individual stock in it?
To each their own.

The only thing I invest in is houses land business and farm stuff
0 x

BC
GURU
GURU

Postby BC » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:15 pm

pricefarm wrote:What is the going rate to have a buyer buy calves for you at the stockyard? I never have the time to go and seat through the sales.

Getting back to the original question. Most order buyers get so much a hundredweight to buy calves. Most around here get $0.75 to $1.00 per cwt. to buy. If you want them worked or hauled that is additional charge.
1 x

snoopdog
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby snoopdog » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:32 pm

If you approach a buyer and talk to them about your expectations and build a relationship before the purchase , I think you'll have more satisfactory results than worrying about a cwt commission . Not saying that you shouldn't watch your dimes, but sometimes an extra dime is well spent.
1 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Return to “Beginners Board”