I would like into buy into a Ranch....

The place to start if you are new!
cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Re: I would like into buy into a Ranch....

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:37 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
mpassmore85 wrote:Depends upon what you consider ranching also depending upon area we farm over 14k acres and have 800 or so head and we are small.

1 mill is nothing

watch out! gonna make cowgirl8 jealous :cowboy:

We are small fries, never said we were big....just said bigger than someone who doesn't do it for a living, you know, a H word..lol
mpassmore, be careful in telling the posters what you have..lol... A few don't like being less than..
How many employees do you have? What is your job on the ranch?
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

mpassmore85
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby mpassmore85 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:10 pm

Keep everyone focused mainly we have 8 hired year round. I’d like more people for the cattle actually they really only get attention branding and weaning. Calving they are on their own unless we notice something amiss in morning feeding.

In Canada more room than down south only 1/10 of us compared to there.
0 x

Turkeybird
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Turkeybird » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:13 pm

mpassmore85 wrote:Keep everyone focused mainly we have 8 hired year round. I’d like more people for the cattle actually they really only get attention branding and weaning. Calving they are on their own unless we notice something amiss in morning feeding.

In Canada more room than down south only 1/10 of us compared to there.

What's the pay I can be there at branding :cowboy:
0 x

mpassmore85
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby mpassmore85 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:39 pm

Ha. We start at 25$ an hour of someone actually knows their way around cattle.
Anyone can bale or mow all summer.
1 x

SchenkAngusFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby SchenkAngusFarm » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:34 am

Thanks Alacowman. I'm a big infrastructure guy just in life in general so thought I should stick with hit. We didn't really know what we were doing at first but stuck to the basics in building a good working barn and chute, cleaning up the fields and overseeding with clover fertilized by chicken scrap, bought basic equipment, cut hay for a couple of years, put in some ponds, cleared some area and then talked to cattlemen. We ultimately chose black angus for a number of reasons.

We started commercial, ran those for about 3 years and then started buying registered. We figured out what we liked and didn't like. Figured out which producers sold what we wanted and keep our small herd at about 100; equal parts breeders and recips.

We are certainly not a large operation but we don't really want one either. We believe in the quality of our cattle and like what we do.

We have expanded our facilities some but I don't ever expect our herd size to get much larger even as we purchase more land.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”