I would like into buy into a Ranch....

The place to start if you are new!
EsquireRancher
Beginner
Beginner

I would like into buy into a Ranch....

Postby EsquireRancher » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:57 pm

Is that possible? Always had a love for cattle and the hardwork involved. Call me crazy, but I just like it. I love the land. Would like to join an operation with dreams of growth.

Thanks in advance.
0 x

cowboy43
GURU
GURU

Re: I would like into buy into a Ranch....

Postby cowboy43 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:39 am

How much money you got to invest?
1 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:04 am

I will sell you my neighbors right now.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:49 am

Wouldn't want to buy into one, I like being the chef,cook and bottle washer...you'll go along with every thing for awhile, to you see thing different and want to change.. Then the head butting begins..
1 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:20 am

Better to lease your own place or lease your place out. Partners are like having a mistress...or a wife....easy to get, almost impossible to get rid of and almost as much trouble.
2 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:37 am

Greybeard is right. Don't buy into a ranch, buy a ranch.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:27 am

I'd turn loose of half my operation for a million or so. I'd even let you make all the important decisions. Welcome to the forum!
1 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

ChrisB
GURU
GURU

Postby ChrisB » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:00 pm

There is probably someone, somewhere looking for a partner. A few years back I was really starting to get burned out working a full time job and farming on the side. Wanting to expand, but short of time and money. I had all the equipment and facilities to run more cattle and pick up more land but I was scared to quite my job and didn't like the idea of hiring someone to do what I dreamed of doing all day so I could keep my job. I had kicked around the idea of finding a partner who was in the same situation. I think the key is to find two people with the same goals and attitude. There are people that like owning new equipment and give the appearance of success even though it means little to no profit. That isn't me. There are people that like to skimp by and just make things functional no matter how they look. Nothing wrong with that but that also isn't me. Turns out my brother was looking to get back into farming and since I was farming my parents ground, I could hardly say no. But he bought a herd of cows and we have been working together. It has worked out great as my work load was greatly reduced and he has some mechanic/fabricating skills that I don't have. We have been able to rent a couple small farms from neighbors and also bought a farm together. Even though profit gets divided by two, there is more of it and less stress trying to get everything done.

Buying in would take a lot of money. And also lawyer fees writing a contract that protects both of you. If you don't have several hundred thousand dollars to spend, maybe find an older person who will let you run some cows on their place in exchange for helping them out.
1 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:06 pm

God forbid anything should happen to y'all....but do you have something agreed on if something did???
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:30 pm

All the D's.... death, divorce, disabled, drugs, default....
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

mpassmore85
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby mpassmore85 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:47 am

Depends upon what you consider ranching also depending upon area we farm over 14k acres and have 800 or so head and we are small.

1 mill is nothing
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:02 pm

Brute 23 wrote:All the D's.... death, divorce, disabled, drugs, default....

...disease, disinterest...
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:38 pm

mpassmore85 wrote:Depends upon what you consider ranching also depending upon area we farm over 14k acres and have 800 or so head and we are small.

1 mill is nothing

watch out! gonna make cowgirl8 jealous :cowboy:
0 x

SchenkAngusFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby SchenkAngusFarm » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:51 pm

I'm guessing you're an attorney based on the name so I assume you have some capital.

There are certainly better cattlemen on here than me but my I bought a farm about 12 years ago. Started with cattle about ten years ago after cleaning the place up and putting up some facilities.

My personal advice would be to buy some property, maybe some with some potential for expansion later on, and get a few cows. Learn about them. Take care of them. Start with commercial and go to registered later if you want. Figure out what breed you want. Most have some pluses and minuses. Go to auctions and sales. Talk to cattlemen. Most will be willing to give you some advice. Figure out if it is the thing for you or not.

If you are an attorney with some capital, you can figure out how big or small you want to go. Figure out if it really is what you want to do or not because it is a commitment.

Just my two cents but I've already violated the rule of never spending another man's money which I hate to do.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:09 pm

SchenkAngusFarm wrote:I'm guessing you're an attorney based on the name so I assume you have some capital.

There are certainly better cattlemen on here than me but my I bought a farm about 12 years ago. Started with cattle about ten years ago after cleaning the place up and putting up some facilities.

My personal advice would be to buy some property, maybe some with some potential for expansion later on, and get a few cows. Learn about them. Take care of them. Start with commercial and go to registered later if you want. Figure out what breed you want. Most have some pluses and minuses. Go to auctions and sales. Talk to cattlemen. Most will be willing to give you some advice. Figure out if it is the thing for you or not.

If you are an attorney with some capital, you can figure out how big or small you want to go. Figure out if it really is what you want to do or not because it is a commitment.

Just my two cents but I've already violated the rule of never spending another man's money which I hate to do.
you did well, getting things in order before cattle...most don't.. They fly into stocking a place right off.then it's like a light came on.. They start building better fences, barns,, and man!!we gotta have a working pen..
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”