Record Keeping

The place to start if you are new!
NEFarmwife
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Record Keeping

Postby NEFarmwife » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:48 pm

We use CattleMax. It also allows us to create worksheets and reports. I.E. When we preg check, I have multiple groups (usually based on the pasture or lot they are in at the time) and am able to document. I also create worksheets from that for checking cow/calf in each pasture and make notes if we need to or had to treat one.

We do retain all our hard copies, in case there is ever an error or missing info. And while we have Wi-Fi access in our calving barn and working facility, we don't use the cattlemax software real time. It is just used after the fact. Unless we need to retrieve some info in that moment.
0 x

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:11 pm

mostly the programmed formattings and groupings in commercial software just did not suit me...

If I had a number of cattle today....I downsized a few years ago and just have a few to kkep me broke and off the street now....

I would want to be able to scan RFID and quickly record health work, breedings, calvings, etc.
would expect device to give me projected calving dates from breedings.
would expect to see calving production and history and birth and weaning weights., adjusted 205s
would expect to be able to pull up health history....by animal or by group
use birth dates to schedule weaning dates for groups.
a be nice would be to be able to schedule synchrony protocols for breeding by breeding group.
record breeding information
0 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

customcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby customcattle » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:19 pm

pdfangus wrote:mostly the programmed formattings and groupings in commercial software just did not suit me...

If I had a number of cattle today....I downsized a few years ago and just have a few to kkep me broke and off the street now....

I would want to be able to scan RFID and quickly record health work, breedings, calvings, etc.
would expect device to give me projected calving dates from breedings.
would expect to see calving production and history and birth and weaning weights., adjusted 205s
would expect to be able to pull up health history....by animal or by group
use birth dates to schedule weaning dates for groups.
a be nice would be to be able to schedule synchrony protocols for breeding by breeding group.
record breeding information

Thank you. I have shared this information with my students and we are putting it to use. I do have one question. What do you mean by being able to scan RFID?
0 x

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:36 am

radio frequency identification..

a device for permanent identification which is commonly put into an ear tag which is a piece of temporary identification..

Ideally an rfid in breeding stock should be an implant.

there was just an article in a recent issue of progressive cattleman I think about advances in RFID...I will see if I can scout it up and post a link.

regarding breeding information....
things I record.....I do it on paper and transfer it to excel
date
cow number and any other pertinent cow information
bull name
bull registration
bull stud number
bull collection code....useful if the stud mixed up the semen and you bred a hereford and got a holstein....it has happened.
service comments eg cow still standing at service....or no heat seen breed on time....
service score ......excellent...very good...fair....poor...
excell gives me when to expect heat 20 days later
when to expect the calf....my angus use 282 days so other breeds might use other gestation lengths.
days since service gives the vet a target for pregnancy work...very helpful to the vet.
0 x
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:38 am

0 x
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:05 am

There is a GREAT phone app.
I tried one that cost about $25 for each phone (mine & my nephew). It was OK.
Now I'm using Edge Tech's "CalfBook". It is really good. You can download the app for free & try for 30 days. It has 3 levels you can purchase. Like $15/year. It can be downloaded to as many phones as you want (same cost). Records kept on their web site. Can open it on your computer to do most of your record inputs - or - record out in the fields on your phone. Every time you open it, it syncs the home base and all phones.
So, if my nephew records something in the field, it automatically gets updated on my phone & computer.
Has Cow list, bull list, semen tank(s), breeding, calving, calculates spreadsheets, etc.
I just got it a few months ago, and I am really, really impressed with it.
I have always kept a calendar, calving book (used to be supplied by Amer Simm Assn), another calving/breeding book supplied for by Genex that I carried out in the field for heat checks & breeding records.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

R V
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby R V » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:10 pm

customcattle wrote:If there was an app out there that you could record on your phone or tablet in the field with, then sync it to a computer at home and be able to print records off would any of you who are using paper be open to using it?

If affordable and simple, that would be great and make record keeping easier. Especially since there are 4 of us checking the cows and for new calves.... papers keep getting lost.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:30 pm

R V wrote:
customcattle wrote:If there was an app out there that you could record on your phone or tablet in the field with, then sync it to a computer at home and be able to print records off would any of you who are using paper be open to using it?

If affordable and simple, that would be great and make record keeping easier. Especially since there are 4 of us checking the cows and for new calves.... papers keep getting lost.

That is what CalfBook.com does. Try it for free.
0 x

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:39 am

I went to calfbook

30 day free trial and then three payment plans to chose from
0 x
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:58 am

Yup. Super simple. Apple or Android. I think it's $15 - $20 - $25 per year - with as many computer and phone access as you want - same money.
The "sharing" aspect is what is so great. Whatever my nephew, Phil, puts in, (or me) automatically syncs to everything else instantly. We can both be on it posting on different calves.
0 x

sstterry
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby sstterry » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:15 pm

Google docs are quite handy. Stays in the cloud and accessible from any device. I would pay for a template to use with them.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:46 am

I don't have a clue what you are talking about. What is/are "google docs'?
0 x

bse
GURU
GURU

Postby bse » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:53 am

I use Angus mobile, goes in right when I weigh calf, all is done completly through registration.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”