Lime question

The place to start if you are new!
BobbyLummus1
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Lime question

Postby BobbyLummus1 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:57 pm

I'm about to buy and spread lime , I have found 20-24 ton truck loads of lime delivered from Tennessee for half of what I can buy it for here from the dealers . I have the equipment to handle/load the lime onto a spreader/truck. I'm having a hard time finding someone to spread it for me . Several dealers are willing to spread it at $8 a ton but only if they are selling me the lime too . Is this normal in your area ? thanks
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Re: Lime question

Postby Craig Miller » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:59 pm

Some co-op rent their trailer spreaders.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:50 pm

It may be half as much, because the calcium is half as available. Yes, most will only spread their own product.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:19 pm

I bought my own belt spreading cart for that very reason, I can be independant and buy from where I want to, doesn't help you though.

Ken
0 x

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:06 pm

Place I called here wouldn’t even rent me a buggy if I couldn’t prove the lime came from them. Check the local co-op, and also check local soil/water agencies. The soil/water in the next county here has a nice one. They do require you carry substantial insurance. I ended up spreading 20 tons with my old drop spreader and Ranger.
0 x

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:42 am

How do others in your area do it?
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

BC
GURU
GURU

Postby BC » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:00 am

Bigfoot wrote:It may be half as much, because the calcium is half as available. Yes, most will only spread their own product.

Bigfoot, you are dead right about this. You need to check the Effective Calcium Carbonate Equivalency numbers. Here in Texas, the lime that comes from Georgetown area has 98 ECCE factor so a ton will get you close to 100% of neutralizing effect. Another quarry in Southern Oklahoma has lime but it only checks 67% ECCE so you have to put out 3000 lbs/acre to get the same neutralizing effect.
0 x

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:08 pm

In addition to the ECCE aspect, also consider: is this ag lime or an 'alkalinizing agent' that's an industrial process by-product?

Dr. Bob Van Saun (Penn St. U.) presented a case report a year or so back of a sheep flock that experienced severe lamb and ewe loss(nearly 100% death loss of 2-yr old ewes and 0% survival of their lambs) subsequent to molybdenum excess, effectively causing severe copper deficiency, following spreading of a limestone product that was a byproduct of the steel polishing industry... it was much less expensive than regular ag lime(awfully costly in the long run!)... but forages on that farm had 6X the Mb level of forages on the farm next door, and livers from dead sheep had Mb levels 2X the top end of the normal range.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:10 pm

Craig Miller wrote:Some co-op rent their trailer spreaders.
not 100 percent positive,, but I don't think those spreaders will handle, ""distribute""" lime..
1 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Nite Hawk
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Nite Hawk » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:42 pm

There is also "caustic lime" which is not the same as field lime..
Caustic lime is what is used to dispose of sick dead animals that have a contagious disease..
Not what you want spread on your fields--normally that is..
0 x

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:00 pm

Nite Hawk wrote:There is also "caustic lime" which is not the same as field lime..
Caustic lime is what is used to dispose of sick dead animals that have a contagious disease..

All lime is caustic, and used in composting "sick dead animals". Although I can't say I have ever seen a sick dead animal.
You can use quick-lime on fields to raise ph, and it will work faster than ag lime, just not around where animals graze until after a rain. But I don't know why you would, since it cost a whole lot more than ag lime. I guess if you had some really acidic soil you wanted to plant right away.
0 x
I'm Conservative so you can be Liberal.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:31 pm

sim.-ang.king wrote:
Nite Hawk wrote:There is also "caustic lime" which is not the same as field lime..

All lime is caustic, and used in composting "sick dead animals". Although I can't say I have ever seen a sick dead animal.
You can use quick-lime on fields to raise ph, and it will work faster than ag lime, just not around where animals graze until after a rain. But I don't know why you would, since it cost a whole lot more than ag lime. I guess if you had some really acidic soil you wanted to plant right away.

Death warmed up??????

Ken
0 x

ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ClinchValley » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:54 am

Lime supply nearby went for $6/ton I believe, last year. I see semi truck trailer in and out of the place all day long. They have a successful business plan, that's for sure.
0 x
I am forever in the pursuit of more knowledge and wisdom. For I will always be "green."

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:05 pm

Guess it depends on their profit. Good lime here is $16/ton, before delivery.
0 x

papavillars
Rancher
Rancher

Postby papavillars » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:09 pm

$47.00 delivered and spread. Comes out or Georgetown.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”