buying a set of corriente or longhorn cattle

The place to start if you are new!
Newcutter
Beginner
Beginner

buying a set of corriente or longhorn cattle

Postby Newcutter » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:41 pm

If bought cheap enough would buy a set of corriente or longhorn be worth buying? if so what would you breed to them.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: buying a set of corriente or longhorn cattle

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:54 pm

Newcutter wrote:If bought cheap enough would buy a set of corriente or longhorn be worth buying? if so what would you breed to them.

Why? Good, young bred cows are available cheap right now.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:57 pm

Just about anything is worth buying if the price is right. Define "cheap enough".
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:35 pm

I've seen a whole bunch sell in the past few weeks for under 35 cents.
Tempting but as grit said you can get good used cows really cheap right now.
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:57 pm

Good bred cows are cheaper now....that said I don't see anything wrong with buying longhorns and Corrientes. Breed them to Charolais, Limousin, Beefmaster or Belgian Blue bull and you'll have nice set of calves.
0 x

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:28 pm

I've been messing with longhorns for a few years now just because I like them and they are the lowest maintenance cows there are in my opinion. As far as beefiness the best calves I've had were from a charolais bull. As far as heifers to keep for brood cows I have had some really nice ones out of a Herford bull.
2 x
The truest of warriors is often overlooked.

Newcutter
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Newcutter » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:06 pm

Under .35 per pound
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:07 pm

The old saw about a sows ear and a silk purse comes to mind
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Newcutter
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Newcutter » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:12 pm

So you are saying if you had some rough country that was in unsuitable to run regular beef cattle on, and had the opportunity to buy some cheap longhorn or corriente you wouldn’t buy some and run them on it.
0 x

MtnCows93
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby MtnCows93 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:41 pm

id buy some if i could find them, low maintenance = low imputs. plus you can run alot more corrientes on the same pasture than regular beef cows. i bet a guy could make more money with corrientes running more head breeding them to a char bull feeding them cheap hay all winter! and forget how to get to the feed store cause those cows dont need welfare bags. o yea and you can expect them to stay in the herd longer
2 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:15 am

Newcutter wrote:So you are saying if you had some rough country that was in unsuitable to run regular beef cattle on, and had the opportunity to buy some cheap longhorn or corriente you wouldn’t buy some and run them on it.

No, the margins are thin enough on good cattle much less junk. You may feed less but you still have the same equipment, same fences, etc to raise longhorns as a higher grossing breed.

I've seen really nice cattle raised in some really tough areas. I don't buy that some thing is only longhorns country.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:33 am

Newcutter wrote:So you are saying if you had some rough country that was in unsuitable to run regular beef cattle on, and had the opportunity to buy some cheap longhorn or corriente you wouldn’t buy some and run them on it.

In that case I'd run goats...be better turnover, and good demand for em...
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:39 am

Brute 23 wrote:

No, the margins are thin enough on good cattle much less junk. You may feed less but you still have the same equipment, same fences, etc to raise longhorns as a higher grossing breed.

I've seen really nice cattle raised in some really tough areas. I don't buy that some thing is only longhorns country.

I never worried much about the gross. The net is what concerns me. My horn cows net more than my Angus cows, and they're no slouches. I agree with your last statement.....I've seen some really nice cows in places where it didn't look like there was anything to eat.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Newcutter
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Newcutter » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:25 am

The longhorn/corriente type cattle “in my opinion”are low maintenance. They are cheap, live forever, and will utilize those places that most cattle will find difficult to hold upon with out some help ( tubs, hay, cubes etc...). I have notice around here a few ranchers are closet longhorn and corriente owners. They don’t want there friends to know that have them so they keep them in the backwoods hidden. I ask one guy why he did this and his answer to me was that. They were all profit. He has very little in them and when the bank comes calling for there money on his brangus or Bradford cattle and it’s a down year. He is ok because of his security blanket in the “back forty “, picks up there slack. He told me he bought 6 corriente cows to 1 brangus cow, yes she raised a 700 lb calve that bought $1.35., his little corriente cows had 425 .lb calve bought .95 lb. but he had 6 to sell compared to the 1, and had less in the 6 calves then what he had in 1 brangus bred calf.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:36 am

Sounds like you have it all figured out, it's a no - brainer to me.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Return to “Beginners Board”