buying a set of corriente or longhorn cattle

The place to start if you are new!
Bullitt
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: buying a set of corriente or longhorn cattle

Postby Bullitt » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:17 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:I prefer cows that are the most profitable. Right now, our most profitable cows are LH X Angus bred back to an Angus bull. They will wean calves just as big as our Angus cows bred to the same bull. They are all on the same diet, and the Angus cows look like ragged azz while the LH and LH X cows are fat and slick. It works for us, and our buyer prefers our cross calves over the handful of purebreds we still raise.

Thank you. This is what I asked about in another thread on this board. I had a feeling that all-black Texas Longhorn x Angus mommas that were then bred to Angus or Brangus bulls would work.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:16 am

Bullitt wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:I prefer cows that are the most profitable. Right now, our most profitable cows are LH X Angus bred back to an Angus bull. They will wean calves just as big as our Angus cows bred to the same bull. They are all on the same diet, and the Angus cows look like ragged azz while the LH and LH X cows are fat and slick. It works for us, and our buyer prefers our cross calves over the handful of purebreds we still raise.

Thank you. This is what I asked about in another thread on this board. I had a feeling that all-black Texas Longhorn x Angus mommas that were then bred to Angus or Brangus bulls would work.

One of the important ingredients to this program, is a buyer. Sold black crosses are not the norm, nor are they always worth keeping. Our best cross cows are the skunk stripes, and a fair number of their 3/4 angus calves are striped, as well. That doesn't mean that yours will be, but that's how they land around here. :tiphat:
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:39 am

I am not opposed to the LH cows. But I am wondering what this ground to tough for Angus cows looks like? Here there is lots of ground that is as steep as you can stack dirt with lots of rock and cliffs tossed in. It is a low rainfall area so it takes 20-40 acres per cow. Lots of fat black cows. The few corriente cows are raised by people wanting to raise their own roping steers. Last week I went to Northern Nevada for Thanksgiving. This time of year the cows have been coming down out of the hills. The vast majority are Angus cows. You would be hard pressed to find more rugged country to run cows on.
1 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:47 am

Personally I think bushy/wooded environments is better suited for longhorns.
1 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:31 pm

That said, high quality beef longhorns are not cheap and they're not easy to find. Few good example of beef longhorns.

0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:36 pm

Muddy wrote:That said, high quality beef longhorns are not cheap and they're not easy to find. Few good example of beef longhorns.

their not cheap buying them in their circles,,,but step outside of it,,and your right back...those are nice though
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:22 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
Muddy wrote:That said, high quality beef longhorns are not cheap and they're not easy to find. Few good example of beef longhorns.

their not cheap buying them in their circles,,,but step outside of it,,and your right back...those are nice though

Only junk longhorns are cheap.
1 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:48 pm

Anyone notice that the OP has not posted since the 2nd page, and we are at page 7????
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:01 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Anyone notice that the OP has not posted since the 2nd page, and we are at page 7????
yep! But you know how these threads can go... :D
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:54 pm

True story-------I slipped down to the Cullman Al. sale, lost April and bought a few tie down calves. One calf was a little LH heifer that was almost too big to tie down.. Gave 1.27 for her, she was as nice as any beef calf that came through the sale. Actually had the second highest ADG of any calf we roped all summer. Sold her in July for .52. I knew she wasn't going to top the sale, but I was surprised she only brought that. The barn owners son was minding the sale that day. He went on for a little while, warning everybody there make sure you know what your getting here. I believe even if he'd kept his mouth shut, she would have brought the same thing. That's just the way of it here.
1 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:44 pm

Use to buy calves at Cullman to...we had a club..each one had 2 calves a piece...fastest calves I ever ran were longhorn. They fired out of the chute like rockets.....but I really liked to buy angus heifers..they were tough, and kept running......
0 x

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:50 am

Muddy wrote:
Bestoutwest wrote:I wish I had known this when I started. We started with LH b/c it was cheap and they're pretty. I slaughtered two at close to 24 months that had hanging weights of 288 and 328. I slaughtered a third at 32 months that had a hanging weight of 579. Last week I slaughtered a half angus x LH that weighed in at 570 hanging at 16 months. There's a reason they're so cheap....

Well you did have poor quality longhorns. They're not best example of good quality longhorns. A member on here, named Ryan has really nice stock of beef type Longhorns and I've seen few nice beef longhorns that raises big calves.

We didn’t know much better getting started, and honestly I haven’t seen any beefy type LH out here. I’ve even gone to a show, and wasn’t impressed so I’m moving on to a different breed. The only thing to do after making a mistake is to learn from it.
0 x
How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau

HeII is other people. ~Sartre

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:24 am

Bestoutwest wrote:
Muddy wrote:
Bestoutwest wrote:I wish I had known this when I started. We started with LH b/c it was cheap and they're pretty. I slaughtered two at close to 24 months that had hanging weights of 288 and 328. I slaughtered a third at 32 months that had a hanging weight of 579. Last week I slaughtered a half angus x LH that weighed in at 570 hanging at 16 months. There's a reason they're so cheap....

Well you did have poor quality longhorns. They're not best example of good quality longhorns. A member on here, named Ryan has really nice stock of beef type Longhorns and I've seen few nice beef longhorns that raises big calves.

We didn’t know much better getting started, and honestly I haven’t seen any beefy type LH out here. I’ve even gone to a show, and wasn’t impressed so I’m moving on to a different breed. The only thing to do after making a mistake is to learn from it.

For wild cattle there great.
Beef taste wonderful you will just starve to death waiting on them to grow. Just a little over a hundred years ago they were wild cattle natural selection went in the opposite direction of today’s beef industry.
The order buyers know they will have to spend more time on feed to slaughter, that is why they are so heavily docked.
1 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:56 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Bestoutwest wrote:
Muddy wrote:Well you did have poor quality longhorns. They're not best example of good quality longhorns. A member on here, named Ryan has really nice stock of beef type Longhorns and I've seen few nice beef longhorns that raises big calves.

For wild cattle there great.
Beef taste wonderful you will just starve to death waiting on them to grow. Just a little over a hundred years ago they were wild cattle natural selection went in the opposite direction of today’s beef industry.
The order buyers know they will have to spend more time on feed to slaughter, that is why they are so heavily docked.

Exactly the same reason I buy what I buy and why I posted what I did in my first post on this thread.
I want what will turn my feed to beef and the ones that buy my cattle want the same thing.
Hence the dock on the cattle that don't.
This whole cattle thing is really really simple. It's all the people that want to force a square peg in a round hole that complicate it.
2 x

Return to “Beginners Board”