Undecided

The place to start if you are new!
farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Re: Undecided

Postby farmerjan » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:08 pm

Hope she helps your heifer to get used to being somewhere besides the bottom of the pecking order. Nothing else matters except she is basically healthy and not a bully. 2 weeks should have showed if she had any major problems, and if yours is vaccinated she will hopefully have some resistance to "germs".
I've never really thought about it before, because we have never put a single in with an established group; never put a younger one in with an older group. We have always made sure there are at least 2 together when they go in with any new ones and we don't mix sizes when one size is "growing" because they can't get far enough away to eat in peace. Whether it is cattle or the sheep or hogs or anything. We don't put different age chickens together either. The young ones will get introduced into the mature birds when we set up breeding pens. Then there is alot of mixing and after breeding season is done, then they seem to be old enough and mature enough to be able to figure it out and claim their own "spot".
1 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:02 am

Mine are all up to date on vaccinations so that's not a major concern. I'll hit the little heifer with them today or tomorrow. I guess we'll know in a week or so just how it all works out. My plan is to leave them at the farm about a week penned together so they'll hopefully bond, then move them to the house and turn them loose on what grass is left. They'll get hay and creep and I figure they'll make it here just fine.
1 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:30 pm

I guess it's going to work. This is their second morning together and they are sharing a feeder.

1 x

ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ClinchValley » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:43 pm

I love the feeder.
1 x
I am forever in the pursuit of more knowledge and wisdom. For I will always be "green."

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:11 pm

ClinchValley wrote:I love the feeder.

Thanks. Pretty handy when something like this happens. It also has a small hay rack in it. Didn't think it was too bad of a buy for $40.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”