Interested in cattle

The place to start if you are new!
Bfields30
Beginner
Beginner

Interested in cattle

Postby Bfields30 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:32 pm

Hi I’m 23 I’m interested in purchasing cattle I’m interested in Brahman and angus I live in east tx just want to know the do ands donts of starting off. And any advice that can be given to me from anyone on this site .
0 x

5S Cattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Interested in cattle

Postby 5S Cattle » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:45 pm

Have your pastures/pens ready before you buy. Always have more hay than you need, and don't overgraze your place. Big difference between Brahman and angus cattle. You're gonna need a pretty serious set of pens if you're runnin Brahman cattle.
0 x

Bfields30
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Bfields30 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:17 am

Can I ask why do I need a serious set of pens I have 50 acres. And it’s two front pastures and I have two back pastures. I was looking to get some cattle in the spring the people around me let there cattle range freely and never give them hay I don’t know if that’s a good or bad thing just on grass no hay
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:21 am

Bfields30 wrote:Can I ask why do I need a serious set of pens I have 50 acres. And it’s two front pastures and I have two back pastures. I was looking to get some cattle in the spring the people around me let there cattle range freely and never give them hay I don’t know if that’s a good or bad thing just on grass no hay

You are going to have to gather them sometime. Weaning, doctoring and selling all bring to mind times that a solid set of working pens is required. There are better ways to use your grass then just allowing free roaming grazing over 50 acres. You might want to look into Management Intensive Grazing (MIG). Depending on your location, you might want to talk to your local Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) or University Extension.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Bfields30
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Bfields30 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:34 am

Okay thanks. So you would suggest me having them rotated in each pasture ? What would be a good number of cows to start off with ? I kinda want to maybe get corriente or longhorns breed them and resell them and buy angus after that
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:59 am

Get a good job, get on a budget where you pay off any debt, max out your 401K or any other tax deferred investments you can get in. Then save up the money left over that most people your age would be spending on boats, trucks, alcohol, etc and buy cattle with cash money.

I would not start off buying what is the cheapest. Because of the land you have access to I would go for low volume, high margin cattle. At most you will run 10 head. I would spend the money and buy 10 awesome Brahman heifers and learn to AI them. With sexed semen and stuff with a set off good Brahman cows you have a lot of options from full bloods, to F1 Brangus, to F1 Braford. All of those will bring top dollar in your area or any where a long the gulf coast.

Cattle, or any business, is a lot more fun when you don't have other debts weighing you down. Get your personal finances in order then dip over in to cattle. Start on a small scale with 2 or 3 head and keep good books. Then work your way up from there.
3 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

cowboy43
GURU
GURU

Postby cowboy43 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:55 am

Brahmas need a stout 6ft fence,they jump like a deer.
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:17 am

Have you ever worked with cattle? If not, then besides the advise to get a job and get yourself in a good position to buy for cash, find a job, even part-time, with someone who has cattle that you can learn from. You should have some practical experience before you jump in. The advise on a good pen to catch up and work the cattle is not just to be talking. You must have a way to catch them, to doctor, and wean off the calves and sell. Or you could get some steers and just run them in the better months when there is grass and sell when it gets dry, or for the winter. But First, get with your local county extension agent, get some knowledge about the soil,grass etc., and find someone who needs some part-time help and get some experience. I am not from Texas so cannot make comments about the numbers etc for that area.
Another thing, you said the people around let their cattle just graze freely, no hay. Are they grazing on this 50 acres you have access to? How are the perimeter fences? You need to be able to keep your animals on your place and be able to get them caught if you need to. Half-a$$ed fences will only contain an animal that is eating good and when they want to go elsewhere, the only thing that stops them is a GOOD FENCE.
3 x

Bfields30
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Bfields30 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:57 am

Yeah I work I been around cattle all my life grew up on the coast I have a coaching job in east tx and the cattle are across the road from me it’s a rancher across the way from me. Yeah I have a fund just for cattle saving money up and stuff but should I buy bred cattle or just buy pairs many people have told me better to buy bred cows ... I’m interested which specific cows I looked up having Brahman bull on heferords and get Brafords for most money could i do that and sell the babies the first couple yrs at weaning time but my fences our already up kept just seeing best thing to do on what’s the best cattle to start off with.
0 x

Bfields30
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Bfields30 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:00 am

If I went strictly Brahman would it be best to go with jd Hudgins? About the hay Two ranchers near me one runs hay all year long and another just has them on straight gas.. any befits on doing either or?
0 x

5S Cattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 5S Cattle » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:36 pm

Bfields30 wrote:Can I ask why do I need a serious set of pens I have 50 acres. And it’s two front pastures and I have two back pastures. I was looking to get some cattle in the spring the people around me let there cattle range freely and never give them hay I don’t know if that’s a good or bad thing just on grass no hay

Because one bad Brahman cow can hit like a truck and jump like a track star. They'll go over or through a set of portable panel pens like you wouldn't believe haha. And if your asking these questions, I'd just go ahead and get Herefords or angus cattle. You can still get the growth out of your steers and make quality replacements with a Brahman bull/ai without dealing with Brahma mommas
1 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:39 pm

This is a joke right?
Why do I need a good set of working pens with Brimmer cattle.
No Hay so no management I bet those cattle make the sale sheet at Crockett as unmarketable.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:52 pm

Yep go the Hereford cows, Brahman bull route... Good gentle Hereford cows will make those F1s more tolerable..no inexperienced somebody needs to start off with straight Brahmans..then go back on the F1s with angus...or a good continental for terminal calves to get a Big Bang of heterosis...
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:08 pm

Don't buy Brahman's off the steet. Go to one of the big, reputable sellers. They will set you up with some thing you can handle.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:11 pm

Brute 23 wrote:Get a good job, get on a budget where you pay off any debt, max out your 401K or any other tax deferred investments you can get in. Then save up the money left over that most people your age would be spending on boats, trucks, alcohol, etc and buy cattle with cash money.

I would not start off buying what is the cheapest. Because of the land you have access to I would go for low volume, high margin cattle. At most you will run 10 head. I would spend the money and buy 10 awesome Brahman heifers and learn to AI them. With sexed semen and stuff with a set off good Brahman cows you have a lot of options from full bloods, to F1 Brangus, to F1 Braford. All of those will bring top dollar in your area or any where a long the gulf coast.

Cattle, or any business, is a lot more fun when you don't have other debts weighing you down. Get your personal finances in order then dip over in to cattle. Start on a small scale with 2 or 3 head and keep good books. Then work your way up from there.

This is good constructive advice from Brute. You would do well to follow it along those lines.

Ken
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”