Interested in cattle

The place to start if you are new!
Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Interested in cattle

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:18 pm

wbvs58 wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:Get a good job, get on a budget where you pay off any debt, max out your 401K or any other tax deferred investments you can get in. Then save up the money left over that most people your age would be spending on boats, trucks, alcohol, etc and buy cattle with cash money.

I would not start off buying what is the cheapest. Because of the land you have access to I would go for low volume, high margin cattle. At most you will run 10 head. I would spend the money and buy 10 awesome Brahman heifers and learn to AI them. With sexed semen and stuff with a set off good Brahman cows you have a lot of options from full bloods, to F1 Brangus, to F1 Braford. All of those will bring top dollar in your area or any where a long the gulf coast.

Cattle, or any business, is a lot more fun when you don't have other debts weighing you down. Get your personal finances in order then dip over in to cattle. Start on a small scale with 2 or 3 head and keep good books. Then work your way up from there.

This is good constructive advice from Brute. You would do well to follow it along those lines.

Ken

I’ll second that. Some of the best beginner advice I’ve read on here.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Bfields30
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Bfields30 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:26 pm

Thanks everyone for the advice ...
0 x

Bfields30
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Bfields30 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:43 pm

Lastly should I go through jd Hudgins for a Bull that’s registered and is best to purchase cattle like Hereford from certain ranches because I heard really bad things about sale barns
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:49 pm

If your really interested in buying Brahman pm me I can point you towards the best in this part of East Texas.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:22 pm

Bfields30 wrote:Lastly should I go through jd Hudgins for a Bull that’s registered and is best to purchase cattle like Hereford from certain ranches

Yes to both. Stay away from sale barn cattle unless the sale barn is holding a special sale with cattle from known reputable breeders. Even then I wouldn't recommend it. Buying cattle directly from a breeder, where you can walk around among them, would probably be a better option.

You've asked a couple times about the need for hay. I'm probably a little west of you, but not much. Most people here in my area feed hay through the winter. There are a few, larger operations that don't, but I'm told they don't try to run more than 1 pair to 7 acres. We can run 1 pair to 3-4 acres with feeding hay, so while those numbers may be slightly different for you, you can see that doing without hay may be difficult with 50 acres.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:40 pm

Bfields30 wrote:Lastly should I go through jd Hudgins for a Bull that’s registered and is best to purchase cattle like Hereford from certain ranches because I heard really bad things about sale barns

A bull will be hard to justify with your numbers. Plus, you are asking for a train wreck in the off- season trying to keep him occupied.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Bfields30
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Bfields30 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:08 am

Brute 23 wrote:
Bfields30 wrote:Lastly should I go through jd Hudgins for a Bull that’s registered and is best to purchase cattle like Hereford from certain ranches because I heard really bad things about sale barns

A bull will be hard to justify with your numbers. Plus, you are asking for a train wreck in the off- season trying to keep him occupied.

You suggest just get the Herefords Ai could I possibly keep him in my front pasture by my house by himself or that wouldn’t be good.
0 x

Bfields30
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Bfields30 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:09 am

Where are the best Hereford breeders around east tx.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:28 am

Bfields30 wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:

You suggest just get the Herefords Ai could I possibly keep him in my front pasture by my house by himself or that wouldn’t be good.

Thats actually worse...theyll want out even without a good reason..I've had to put a hot wire a few feet back off the main fence to keep from those up close a personal contacts with the neighbors bulls and cows that are in heat..their labido knows no bounds, a barb wire is just a temporary hindrance to em..
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Bfields30
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Bfields30 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:47 am

Thanks so do you recommend I set up hot fence ... if I did get a bull
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:03 pm

The hot fence is still a big maybe. When a mature bull decides he wants back with the girls there is not much other than 6' pipe pens that can stop him.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Bfields30
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Bfields30 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:28 pm

Is there anybody here in east tx on here near winnsboro I could come intern or come learn from your operation on a weekend or something I’m really interested in learning.
0 x

Txpiney
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Txpiney » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:25 pm

Bfields30, sounds like you might be close to me. I'm in northern Newton county. There are several people that free range their cattle here, but I don't. I run charolais mom's and a Maine Angus bull. Get growthy calves that do well at the barn and some good replacement heifers. I also feed out a couple steers every year for Lease payment, my own freezer beef, and sell quarters and halves to help cover the cost.
0 x

Bfields30
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Bfields30 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:50 pm

Txpiney wrote:Bfields30, sounds like you might be close to me. I'm in northern Newton county. There are several people that free range their cattle here, but I don't. I run charolais mom's and a Maine Angus bull. Get growthy calves that do well at the barn and some good replacement heifers. I also feed out a couple steers every year for Lease payment, my own freezer beef, and sell quarters and halves to help cover the cost.
whats the do and donts of free range like I’m curious to know leaving them out all yr on grass. Vs having them on grass and hay in minerals or feed.
0 x

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:41 am

From what I have read in here might I suggest planting oats and running calves. You can plant oats run calves through the winter don’t have to worry about summer droughts and the grass going away. I think you would make more money doing calves on oats than a few mommas.
1 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

Return to “Beginners Board”