Interested in cattle

The place to start if you are new!
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Interested in cattle

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:44 am

wacocowboy wrote:From what I have read in here might I suggest planting oats and running calves. You can plant oats run calves through the winter don’t have to worry about summer droughts and the grass going away. I think you would make more money doing calves on oats than a few mommas.

Would be a good way to get your feet wet....
1 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Bfields30
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Bfields30 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:40 pm

So should I buy some calves grow them out and sell them??? Or what i benefit more buying bred cows . whats the do and donts of free range like I’m curious to know leaving them out all yr on grass. Vs having them on grass and hay in minerals or feed.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:51 pm

They gonna need minerals regardless ,Don't think many on here, do """year round grazing""" If you run into a drought without a reserve of hay, your screwed... Then you'll wind up buying those 50 dollar on up,bales....depending on the demand, or forced to sell out..and the market will be in the tank when you do..takes a whole different management approach to graze year round...
1 x

Txpiney
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Txpiney » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:58 pm

Bfields30 wrote:
Txpiney wrote:Bfields30, sounds like you might be close to me. I'm in northern Newton county. There are several people that free range their cattle here, but I don't. I run charolais mom's and a Maine Angus bull. Get growthy calves that do well at the barn and some good replacement heifers. I also feed out a couple steers every year for Lease payment, my own freezer beef, and sell quarters and halves to help cover the cost.
whats the do and donts of free range like I’m curious to know leaving them out all yr on grass. Vs having them on grass and hay in minerals or feed.

Cattle can get stole, hit by cars, etc. Like i said, ive not free ranged cattle before. The main guy that does it in my area turns out about 40 long horns and a angus and charolais bulls.

0 x

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:04 pm

Bfields30 wrote:So should I buy some calves grow them out and sell them??? Or what i benefit more buying bred cows . whats the do and donts of free range like I’m curious to know leaving them out all yr on grass. Vs having them on grass and hay in minerals or feed.

I say for you the best option is calves. Get some good steers and pack the weight on them.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:08 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:They gonna need minerals regardless ,Don't think many on here, do """year round grazing""" If you run into a drought without a reserve of hay, your screwed... Then you'll wind up buying those 50 dollar on up,bales....depending on the demand, or forced to sell out..and the market will be in the tank when you do..takes a whole different management approach to graze year round...

Yep. I am thinking on such a small place to do year around grazing you either have to no till plant a winter crop or run less than 10 mommas and sell the calves straight off the bag.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:28 pm

Bfields30 wrote:So should I buy some calves grow them out and sell them??? Or what i benefit more buying bred cows . whats the do and donts of free range like I’m curious to know leaving them out all yr on grass. Vs having them on grass and hay in minerals or feed.

You won't make any money just hauling calves to the auction barn. Your looking at $100 per head margins on calves going to the sale barn. Absolute best case scenario in 10 cows is $1000.

On steers, you are more likely to lose money. The risk is not worth the reward on that low of volume.

If you don't go for a nitch you can sell private treaty, honsetly, it's not worth messing with.

Maybe try leasing out the land to some one to keep heifers or some thing. Offer the land plus your services to feed them and watch them. You could make decent money at it and learn a little at the same time.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Bfields30
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Bfields30 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:57 pm

Thanks for all the advice
0 x

Bfields30
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Bfields30 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:18 pm

Yea I was asking because my neighbor has probably about 40 acres or so has about 20-25 cattle on his maybe more . And he just rotational grazes then and has them on hay. What’s a good amount of head to have on 50 or so..
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:01 pm

Are they cow calf pairs with a bull? They may get by a few years but long term they are pushing it with that stocking rate.

If it's 20 heifers and they are growing them out to take some where else with the main herd I could see that.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Bfields30
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Bfields30 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:09 pm

Cow calf pairs with two bulls
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:20 pm

Bfields30 wrote:Yea I was asking because my neighbor has probably about 40 acres or so has about 20-25 cattle on his maybe more . And he just rotational grazes then and has them on hay. What’s a good amount of head to have on 50 or so..
he's overstocked....here it would be 15 to 18'head on that..that's pairs and bull...
0 x

Bfields30
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Bfields30 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:28 pm

Okay I’ll keep that in mind ..
0 x

Bfields30
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Bfields30 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:14 pm

How much money in a year do y’all spend on feed hay minerals etc ? As well as how many head y’all have that you spend that on...?
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:19 pm

Cost a 1.50 a day to keep a cow standing in a pasture if you got your shyt together.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

Return to “Beginners Board”