Pasture grazing question

The place to start if you are new!
Grundy53
Beginner
Beginner

Pasture grazing question

Postby Grundy53 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:10 am

If my pastures will support a cow/calf pair per two acres but I only stock a pair per 4 acres would the pasture most likely support the herd throughout the growing season? Or would I still be better off with rotational grazing?
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Pasture grazing question

Postby dun » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:59 am

Depending on the type of grass, rotational grazing will allow you (weather permitting) to stockpile grass for the dormant period and decrease the amount of hay needed.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:28 am

Under stocking will allow a percentage of the grass become over mature and not palatable to the cows. This is especially true with the cool season grasses you have in your area. Keep the grass in the vegetative stage will produce more nutritious grass and as a result a better rate of gain on the calves. Rotational grazing is the most economical and efficient way of doing this.
1 x

JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Postby JW IN VA » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:32 am

If he's not set up for rotating ,couldn't he clip the pasture and achieve the same result until he can get started rotating?Or,make some pasture hay with the skids set high?
1 x
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:19 pm

JW IN VA wrote:If he's not set up for rotating ,couldn't he clip the pasture and achieve the same result until he can get started rotating?Or,make some pasture hay with the skids set high?

True, but a fence charger and some temporary fence is a lot cheaper to buy and operate than a tractor to clip or cut for hay. I know that years ago I was sent to a pasture management workshop. I told myself that if I was going to be telling people that this was the thing to do I would try it myself first. For very little investment I set up a intense rotational grazing program. The result was I had to buy more cows because I had more grass than I had ever had.
1 x

Grundy53
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Grundy53 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:10 pm

Sounds like rotational grazing is the way to go. Thanks everyone for the advice.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:37 pm

As advised, rotational grazing will give you more grass. Maybe more than you need. So, you may have to get more cows or clip - brushhog mow or hay it. Generally, if you have more grass than you need, you can get a neighbor to hay it for 1/2 the hay, which will give you some winter feed.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

MRRherefords
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MRRherefords » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:03 pm

I would rotational graze. As Simme valley said you could always hay it. We had that this year. The grass was so good we had to make hay out of one of the pastures, just to keep it down. Determined we needed more cows. Which was fine by me. ;-) :cboy:
0 x

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:43 am

Works good until you have a dry year, then you have more cows than grass, and no extra to make hay with either. So you're buying hay or selling cows, which is no big deal unless you are trying to hold on to the genetics you've put together. Just something to keep in mind.
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

Return to “Beginners Board”