Cull cow to burger ?

The place to start if you are new!
willow bottom
Beginner
Beginner

Cull cow to burger ?

Postby willow bottom » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:29 pm

Hey yall first post here and I need advice.

I plan on buying an older cull cow to be made completely into burger. The whole thing in burger. My question is should i bother feeding it any corn at all or just take it straight to the slaughterhouse?

I thought about feeding it straight corn for about 45 days. You think i'd benefit from that at all or not?
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Re: Cull cow to burger ?

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:40 pm

No, not really. If she is super thin, the butcher can add some fat if the hamburg needs it, but the leaner the hamburg, the more expensive it it. You can still have him strip out the tenderloins and make into steaks. You can have cube steaks made also. Ask the butcher what other cuts you may want to salvage before grinder her completely.
BTW - welcome to the board
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:33 pm

I have bought cull cows that were in reasonable condition, sent straight to slaughter, and had people rave about how good the burger was. Just don't buy a real thin or really fat cow and it will be fine.
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:33 pm

willow bottom wrote:Hey yall first post here and I need advice.

I plan on buying an older cull cow to be made completely into burger. The whole thing in burger. My question is should i bother feeding it any corn at all or just take it straight to the slaughterhouse?

I thought about feeding it straight corn for about 45 days. You think i'd benefit from that at all or not?

Forgive me for asking, but why not (especially if you're not going to feed it some sort of magical elixir) just go to Kroger and buy hamburger whenever and in whatever amount you need?
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:02 pm

Best to do some homework on em before you buy..their Culls, of course,and could have been from a illness.. And had several injections..ruining the meat ""cut area"""
3 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:05 am

We don't hesitate to grind up a downer that can't be sold through the sale. They can have quite a bit of yellow fat on them. I've read feeding corn for 60 days will create more white fat. I've never actually done it. Although as simvalley mentioned on hamburger you want it pretty lean.

Fwiw. If I was gonna BUY a animal for the freezer. Heiferetts have been about 30 cents over slaughter cows. You can feed them a little bit probably get a better yield and some decent steaks.
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Bullitt
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Bullitt » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:35 am

My brother worked as a butcher. He told me about this time a guy came in with a steer and asked that all the meat be ground into hamburger. My brother said they cut the steer up normally with some hamburger, but also roasts, steaks, and other normal cuts of meat. They then took hamburger from another steer and gave all hamburger to the man. The butcher shop sold the steaks and roasts from his steer, and the man got all hamburger, and everyone was happy.

I do not understand why someone would want all hamburger rather than getting some other cuts, such as steaks, roasts, briskets, ribs, and others that cost more than hamburger. It seems you would be throwing away money, or at least value.

By the way, if you are willing to buy a cull cow and feed it for a month or two, you would be better off buying a steer and feeding it for a month or two before butchering it. I think you would be happier with the meat.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:33 am

Bullitt wrote:My brother worked as a butcher. He told me about this time a guy came in with a steer and asked that all the meat be ground into hamburger. My brother said they cut the steer up normally with some hamburger, but also roasts, steaks, and other normal cuts of meat. They then took hamburger from another steer and gave all hamburger to the man. The butcher shop sold the steaks and roasts from his steer, and the man got all hamburger, and everyone was happy.

I do not understand why someone would want all hamburger rather than getting some other cuts, such as steaks, roasts, briskets, ribs, and others that cost more than hamburger. It seems you would be throwing away money, or at least value.

By the way, if you are willing to buy a cull cow and feed it for a month or two, you would be better off buying a steer and feeding it for a month or two before butchering it. I think you would be happier with the meat.

It's pretty simple. If the meat is so tough you need a power saw to cut the steaks or if you have a large extended family you are supplying meat to or you are donating the meat to charity. We've done all three.
And believe it or not, there are folks that prefer burger to steaks or roasts.
3 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

greatgerts
GURU
GURU

Postby greatgerts » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:00 am

Bullitt wrote:My brother worked as a butcher. He told me about this time a guy came in with a steer and asked that all the meat be ground into hamburger. My brother said they cut the steer up normally with some hamburger, but also roasts, steaks, and other normal cuts of meat. They then took hamburger from another steer and gave all hamburger to the man. The butcher shop sold the steaks and roasts from his steer, and the man got all hamburger, and everyone was happy.

I have 4 kids under 5 years old. They don't eat steaks and roasts that much. The younger ones aren't 2 yet, so they really aren't eating steaks or roast. The last steer we butchered, we put in over 90% in burger. The freezer is almost empty (probably 50lbs of meat left), and guess what... only about 10 lbs is hamburger. If you are butchering for yourself, why not get it how you want it? Also, taking meat from another animal that is someone else's is not a very good practice. Shops have been shut down for doing that.
3 x

cattle60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby cattle60 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:54 pm

If buying an older cow for butcher you can't have it processed for anything other than burger if it is older than 30 months, no roasts ,steaks , etc... Supposed to be under 30 months for that.

When I buy or put a cow in the lot for hamburger, I always feed for 45 days or more to get past the withdrawal period of any possible medicine it may had been administered.

If you buy a 3 to 6 yr old, open cow it will make some fine burger and still be close to old cow price.
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:17 pm

And THIS is one the main reasons why most of us/many folks do NOT trust their processor/butcher. This is downright WRONG!
:mad: :mad:

If someone is paying good money to have their animal processed/cut-up they way they want it, what difference does it make? Who cares how 'Mr. Jones' wants his steer processed. He's paying for it to be done a certain way, for whatever his reasons are. :roll:

2 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:20 pm

cattle60 wrote:If buying an older cow for butcher you can't have it processed for anything other than burger if it is older than 30 months, no roasts ,steaks , etc... Supposed to be under 30 months for that.

Maybe where you are, that's the case. But most states, anything over 30 months, you cannot have bone-in cuts which involve the spine. You can get roasts, boneless steaks, etc.
3 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:26 pm

greatgerts wrote:

I have 4 kids under 5 years old. They don't eat steaks and roasts that much. The younger ones aren't 2 yet, so they really aren't eating steaks or roast. The last steer we butchered, we put in over 90% in burger. The freezer is almost empty (probably 50lbs of meat left), and guess what... only about 10 lbs is hamburger. If you are butchering for yourself, why not get it how you want it? Also, taking meat from another animal that is someone else's is not a very good practice. Shops have been shut down for doing that.
bet the older kids wear some chicken out,,if it were left up to the kids we'd all be outa the cattle business....
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:54 pm

Check with your processor and make sure they wont take the backbone. Some will if its older...
I wouldn't feed out the cow..I'd just make sure she's healthy and no antibiotics in her system. You can have pork fat added to whatever % you want for your burger which is easier than feeding to make fat. THe likelihood that her steaks are going to be tender is iffy...I might would have some roast cut, but on a old cow i'd go burger all the way too.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

greatgerts
GURU
GURU

Postby greatgerts » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:35 am

ALACOWMAN wrote:
greatgerts wrote:

bet the older kids wear some chicken out,,if it were left up to the kids we'd all be outa the cattle business....

About twice a week. They actually prefer beef over chicken. Ive got a couple of steaks I'm going to try with the older ones one night this week.
1 x

Return to “Beginners Board”