Cost

The place to start if you are new!
Dave
GURU
GURU

Re: Cost

Postby Dave » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:43 pm

I never figure a cost for my labor. My labor gets paid based on the difference between dollars going out and dollars coming in. Some years I get paid real well. Others not so much.........
1 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:43 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:The cost of the cow should be pretty much the same with the calf... Our job is to provide for the cows needs.. her job is raising that calf...

Agreed. For overall profitability, I figure cost per day (or cost per year as some prefer) to maintain a cow just as CB does. I also track some other numbers as indicated in my previous post to attempt to gauge individuals that shine and those that need to be improved upon.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
-Anais Nin

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:03 am

sim.-ang.king wrote:But what is your cost per calf weaned?

Good to know. Even better to know is gross margin per acre. Most of us are not doing a great job of focusing on the more profitable enterprises. I have not finished my 2016 numbers, but I expect replacements will end up as the most profitable per acre this year.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:28 pm

It's looking like I'm going to land at 1.14 per day. That's $415 per year, for every cow I own. That figure would not include any labor. For what may be the first time in my life, I have not hired any labor. I guess the kids got big enough, they were enough extra hands.
1 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:24 pm

Bigfoot wrote:It's looking like I'm going to land at 1.14 per day. That's $415 per year, for every cow I own. That figure would not include any labor. For what may be the first time in my life, I have not hired any labor. I guess the kids got big enough, they were enough extra hands.

:tiphat: That’s pretty good.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:08 pm

Bigfoot wrote:It's looking like I'm going to land at 1.14 per day. That's $415 per year, for every cow I own. That figure would not include any labor. For what may be the first time in my life, I have not hired any labor. I guess the kids got big enough, they were enough extra hands.

Do you give the money on the hunting rights to the cows? From what I gather we run a very similar operation. My deer hunters make a difference major difference on my cow expenses.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:23 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:

Do you give the money on the hunting rights to the cows? From what I gather we run a very similar operation. My deer hunters make a difference major difference on my cow expenses.

I do not. I try very hard, not to add any money to the farm account.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ez14. » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:27 pm

You still need to add labor expenses! Your labor!
1 x

snoopdog
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby snoopdog » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:00 pm

I'm curious , what percentage of winter feeding cost is , of your yearly cost. Be interesting to see the differences , in locales.
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:35 pm

snoopdog wrote:I'm curious , what percentage of winter feeding cost is , of your yearly cost. Be interesting to see the differences , in locales.

Winter costs 40-50% of annual cost in Oklahoma. In my opinion
2 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:39 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:
snoopdog wrote:I'm curious , what percentage of winter feeding cost is , of your yearly cost. Be interesting to see the differences , in locales.

Winter costs 40-50% of annual cost in Oklahoma. In my opinion

+1 Hay is my biggest cost
1 x

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:48 pm

When you all are calculating your cow cost per year, are you prorating your cattle that are not there all year? At what point are you including heifers into the mix? For those that background your calves, I assume you calculate that as a separate enterprise and keep track of your costs there separate of the cows?
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:35 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:Winter costs 40-50% of annual cost in Oklahoma.

Wintering is most of our annual cost too.
It lasts about 8 months... :nod:
0 x
Stocker Steve

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:05 am

talltimber wrote:When you all are calculating your cow cost per year, are you prorating your cattle that are not there all year? At what point are you including heifers into the mix? For those that background your calves, I assume you calculate that as a separate enterprise and keep track of your costs there separate of the cows?

Heifers cost are calculated into upkeep of cow until weaning or sale.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:22 am

This thread got me thinking about your land making or saving you money. Fact is trees or cattle can't pay for the land around here, but at least you have the land. There's a lot of folks that pay for a place that they can't do anything with but sleep, make payments and pay taxes. Most of us have it made, I can hunt off the back porch and fish off the front. And the little bit of money a cow might cost me is made up 10 fold by the lifestyle and pleasure of living in the country.
4 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Return to “Beginners Board”