Converting golf course to cattle farm

The place to start if you are new!
tncattle
GURU
GURU

Re: Converting golf course to cattle farm

Postby tncattle » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:15 am

I've read some recent articles that say golf courses are closing around the country as the sport just isn't practical or popular and as y'all said, it's too expensive too maintain.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:54 am

i'd buy it for the right price.

the good thing is it probably has a lot of thatch in the ground.. i'd rip the greens up.. use any of that stuff in ditches. replant the entire place and use the clubhouse as your new beer headquarters.
0 x

Ebenezer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ebenezer » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:30 am

Turf type bermuda, if used, is going to be a bugger to deal with. Saw that some years back. They tried to fertilize and bale: low yield and I always was amazed at the low protein content. It must be tied to the tall type genes to have quality. Turf type was hard to eradicate, ... So, all that glitters is not gold.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:40 am

Ebenezer wrote:Turf type bermuda, if used, is going to be a bugger to deal with. Saw that some years back. They tried to fertilize and bale: low yield and I always was amazed at the low protein content. It must be tied to the tall type genes to have quality. Turf type was hard to eradicate, ... So, all that glitters is not gold.

I wonder if you could sell it to a sod cutting company
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Ebenezer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ebenezer » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:48 am

dun wrote:
Ebenezer wrote:Turf type bermuda, if used, is going to be a bugger to deal with. Saw that some years back. They tried to fertilize and bale: low yield and I always was amazed at the low protein content. It must be tied to the tall type genes to have quality. Turf type was hard to eradicate, ... So, all that glitters is not gold.

I wonder if you could sell it to a sod cutting company

They did that, too. But the desire was conversion and the sod type bermuda had the desire to remain.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:47 am

tncattle wrote:The driving range is around 20 acres and didn't get cut at all since early summer. No weeds at all, just grass. I know they don't/didn't spray anything. It's not a high end course, more of a blue collar golf course that they basically cut the grass and that's it. It also has a full irrigation system throughout that is fed directly from river water. I figure the cows would probably destroy the sprinkler heads by eventually crushing them while stepping on them.

You could set a post by each head to keep them off the them.
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

5S Cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby 5S Cattle » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:48 pm

ddd75 wrote:i'd buy it for the right price.

the good thing is it probably has a lot of thatch in the ground.. i'd rip the greens up.. use any of that stuff in ditches. replant the entire place and use the clubhouse as your new beer headquarters.

I like the way you think
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”